Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Just track/road tested Dunlop ZII's, BFG Rivals,

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2013, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just track/road tested Dunlop ZII's, BFG Rivals,

B-Stone Potenza RE-11A, and the Yoko Neova AD08 R. Today and yesterday ambient temps hovered around 74 deg, sunny, dry, and with light breeze out of the north. Great conditions for our testing. Here's how my track times came out,

Dunlop - 29.30
Yoko - 30.77
BFG - 30.53
B-Stone - 30.69

I'm not sure how that compares to everyone else here just yet, but gives you an idea.

At this level it's kind of difficult to see a large difference between their performance. Although small, each showed unique personalities. The BFG was the most tail happy of the bunch, but recovered the best when they cut loose (probably not as much of an issue for the EVO being AWD as much as it was for our RWD BMW's). The Yoko did really well, but due to the large price gap compared to the others, not sure how popular of a choice they will be. B-Stone was really planted to the ground on initial launch and through our skid pad. Hard braking was strongest from the BFG and B-Stone.

On the streets ride quality was pretty equal amongst the group. However, the Dunlop had a really unusual noise when driven on asphalt/expansion joints filled with tar. It sounded like I was driving over Velcro the entire time. Similar sound a taser makes or a Fruit Roll-Up being peeled away from the wrapper. Never had a tire sound like that in the 11 years I've been here. Other reps experienced the same thing.

We have not yet completed wet testing. That should be wrapped up this week. Full test reports and overall rankings will be posted on our site as soon as data is complied.

So who is king of the hill? It's hard to say from my test alone. In the long term I think the strongest following will rest between the BFG and Dunlop. Majority of loyal ZI fans will probably continue on with the ZII and like them even more, Hankook and Yoko owners may become Rival fans. The unfortunate thing is most people won't get to experience both in one season due to their great tread wear. Hopefully as these trickle into the market more we'll get a better idea of their long term personalities.

Stay tuned!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a significant margin between first and the rest. If wet testing is just as disparate, there's a clear winner.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Over a second between the Dunlop's and BFG's, wow!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
On the streets ride quality was pretty equal amongst the group. However, the Dunlop had a really unusual noise when driven on asphalt/expansion joints filled with tar. It sounded like I was driving over Velcro the entire time. Similar sound a taser makes or a Fruit Roll-Up being peeled away from the wrapper. Never had a tire sound like that in the 11 years I've been here. Other reps experienced the same thing.
Experienced this over the weekend. I kept looking around trying to figure out where the noise was coming from until I realized it was the tires.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wait, so you say the sound sounds like this the whole time? FAWK that is annoying if you plan to daily and track the same tire during Spring/Summer.

Old Jun 28, 2013, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates? I'm about to order tires from tirerack but still torn between these 2