Notices
Evo X Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Factory alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory alignment problem

Hey guys, recently I purchased a 2013 evo x MR and noticed on the way home from

the dealer the steering wheel is turned towards the left( very slightly towards the left) to keep the car straight, so if

I turn the steering to its straight position I will slightly turn right...I'm

probably going to get flamed for this but I thought it might get better as I break-in

the car. I'm actually getting an alignment for it through Mitsubishi under

warranty and hope all goes well. Just wondering if any of you guys experience this

straight from the factory.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 03:09 PM

It could definitely happen, dealers don't do alignment anymore in the pre-delivery inspection, alignment is made at the factory itself so with transportation, alignment could very well not be perfect.

It is like that for us here in Canada so probably the same for the States.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 05:18 PM

Ok so here's the spec sheet after the alignment.

http://s27.postimg.org/kla6e7pur/photo_1.jpg

Now when I put the steering wheel straight

the car is going towards the left....So one of the service guy at Mitsubishi is telling me I should

leave the car at the dealer overnight and first thing tomorrow morning they will work on it.

What do you guys think the problem could be? My car only has 5k miles on it.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

WTF is that? It is quite a bit off. You probably want to have the bolt flipped on the front so that you can run more negative camber up front. And you really don't need to run any toe front and back. Also your front casters (which is not adjustable) are really "messed up!"

If they try doing it, and they can't get the alignment right, go somewhere else.

As for the "steering wheel straight, car going left" business, that's a centering issue that's EASILY corrected. That's just a quick adjustment to the control arms, shorten the right one a tiny bit, lengthen the left one a tiny bit.

Get your alignment (camber, toe, caster if they can) fixed first. Then when you "road test" right after, you can double-check if its still pulling one way or another. Just be aware that with 0 toe, your car is more sensitive to steering input, (which is what most of us like anyways).

Thanks!
verkion
Old Dec 5, 2013, 08:01 PM

Mine was the same for 6,000 miles they alignment it and gave me new tires free of charge.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by verkion
WTF is that? It is quite a bit off. You probably want to have the bolt flipped on the front so that you can run more negative camber up front. And you really don't need to run any toe front and back. Also your front casters (which is not adjustable) are really "messed up!"

If they try doing it, and they can't get the alignment right, go somewhere else.

As for the "steering wheel straight, car going left" business, that's a centering issue that's EASILY corrected. That's just a quick adjustment to the control arms, shorten the right one a tiny bit, lengthen the left one a tiny bit.

Get your alignment (camber, toe, caster if they can) fixed first. Then when you "road test" right after, you can double-check if its still pulling one way or another. Just be aware that with 0 toe, your car is more sensitive to steering input, (which is what most of us like anyways).

Thanks!
verkion

Thanks for the heads up. Lets say they couldn't fix the problem what else do you think

is causing it? Or will a good alignment shop guarantee a fix? This Mitsubishi

dealership i go to don't even have their own alignment machine...they are taking it

somewhere else under warranty.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 02:50 PM

The best thing to do is find a shop with a laser alignment machine wich more precise and ask them to align your car.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by upforspeed
The best thing to do is find a shop with a laser alignment machine wich more precise and ask them to align your car.

Thanks I will look into that....so I got the car back from the dealer and what do you

know...nothings changed. I'm starting to think it might be the tires throwing it off.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
verkion
Actually, the steering wheel strait, car going left business is not related to the control arms at all (unless of course they are bent). What would cause this issue would be the individual/total toe and steer ahead angles. These angles determine if when the steering wheel is strait, the wheels are also properly strait ahead. This is corrected by straitening and locking the steering wheel prior to performing the alignment, then setting the toe and steer ahead angles dead center (within a tolerance). These angles are adjusted with the TIE-RODS. Not sure what you are referring to as to "Shortening" a control arm, but with the Evo X, as well as many mc-phearson strut equipped vehicles, camber is only adjustable by adding camber bolts or adjusting where the strut is bolted to the wheel hub/knuckle. There are no adjustment points on the control arms on the stock front suspension.

On a side note, unless you have a good technician which test drives your vehicle on a variety of road surfaces, including freeways, it is typical for most vehicles to pull ever so slightly right due to the way roads are constructed, but that is another topic in its own. (Google Road crown if you are interested)
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evilami

Now when I put the steering wheel straight

the car is going towards the left....So one of the service guy at Mitsubishi is telling me I should

leave the car at the dealer overnight and first thing tomorrow morning they will work on it.

What do you guys think the problem could be? My car only has 5k miles on it.
Based on your alignment specs, it makes sense that the vehicle is pulling left. Have them Equalize the negative camber in the rear, and if they will (Some places will say your front camber is not adjustable with the stock suspension), have them set the front camber as equal as possible.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
Actually, the steering wheel strait, car going left business is not related to the control arms at all (unless of course they are bent). What would cause this issue would be the individual/total toe and steer ahead angles. These angles determine if when the steering wheel is strait, the wheels are also properly strait ahead. This is corrected by straitening and locking the steering wheel prior to performing the alignment, then setting the toe and steer ahead angles dead center (within a tolerance). These angles are adjusted with the TIE-RODS. Not sure what you are referring to as to "Shortening" a control arm, but with the Evo X, as well as many mc-phearson strut equipped vehicles, camber is only adjustable by adding camber bolts or adjusting where the strut is bolted to the wheel hub/knuckle. There are no adjustment points on the control arms on the stock front suspension.

On a side note, unless you have a good technician which test drives your vehicle on a variety of road surfaces, including freeways, it is typical for most vehicles to pull ever so slightly right due to the way roads are constructed, but that is another topic in its own. (Google Road crown if you are interested)
Ah crap, I meant tie rods. I was really tired when I wrote that. :-( Thanks for pointing it out! And yes, they are SUPPOSED to lock the steering wheel perfectly straight before doing all their toe/steer adjustments. But its rare they get it perfectly straight.

Thanks for the correction!
verkion
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Ah crap, I meant tie rods. I was really tired when I wrote that. :-( Thanks for pointing it out! And yes, they are SUPPOSED to lock the steering wheel perfectly straight before doing all their toe/steer adjustments. But its rare they get it perfectly straight.

Thanks for the correction!
verkion
Usually because "strait" for the technician isn't usually "strait" for the customer.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I will make an appointment today to a shop that specializes in alignment

for 30 years and I will let them know about all your inputs regarding this issue. Hope all goes well.

I will report back as soon as possible.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The factory alignment is covered under the "adjustments" period of the warranty, which is 1 year/12k miles. I had the dealership redo my alignment at 750 miles which was covered under warranty.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
The factory alignment is covered under the "adjustments" period of the warranty, which is 1 year/12k miles. I had the dealership redo my alignment at 750 miles which was covered under warranty.

Yeah, I already tried taking it to the dealership....they didn't even have an

alignment machine at the shop so they took it to a third party under warranty, but

the outcome was still the same. I should have just picked a reputable shop from the

beginning. I rather pay $80 dollars for an alignment at a good shop rather than

driving 15 miles back and forth to the nearest Mitsubishi dealer whom is known for

having a ****ty service department. Just my 0.02

Quick Reply: Factory alignment problem