Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

$29,000...why?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goes back to why insurance rates are so high for guys under 25. because they cause the most accidents. IT IS A STATISTICAL FACT. it in no way says ALL people under 25 suck and cause accidents. but you have to consider the majority. and it sucks that you hav to group people that may not fit in that category, but there has to be some limits somewhere.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Score

Very, very true. I used to live the suburb life where Jrs in High School would drive brand new Lexuses, BMWs, etc. Granted there were people who did buy their car for themselves, those were the people I tended to hang out with anyway.
well thats how it is here in Miami. We have a little part called Pinecrest (i dunno if u have heard about it or not) but most of the ppl that live in that area drive all the big name cars and wear the big name clothes like Gucci and Prada and Coach and crap. At my school the little rich white boys are driving Bimmers, Lexus, Benz, Land Rovers, Range Rovers and Jags and crap. Im stuck with a toyota (jus to let u all know).
Old Jan 10, 2003, 05:52 PM

Rasputin - I had nothing against you personally. But you disrespected Jovani by saying it's possibly terrifying that an 18 year old is getting an Evo and also by pretty much accusing him of lying when he said he can afford it. Also every post you made in this thread had a negative comment about teenagers. The only exception was the one post from Jan 10, 2003 07:05 AM.

diablo2184 - Thanks man.

Edit:
Quote "The fact remains that 90% of 18 year olds that can afford an Evo are getting one bought for them."

Rasputin - Show me a survey proving your figure. If you can't, don't make up statistics. And unless you have that survey, guess what, IT ISN'T A FACT.

Last edited by DPagan; Jan 10, 2003 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

I can see most people here are great drivers, etc. But, very childish. Let this thread end.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 07:35 PM

This is starting to drive me absolutely ape sh*t. I think some people are missing the point. This whole thing about kids under 21 or what ever , owning an Evo is not scarry because the car costs 30 G's, it is because it has 271 hp. This is a freakin rocket my friends. We are not talking about an RSX here. And if you think a year or two gives you the experience to handle a beast like this, you're nuts. absolutely freakin nuts
Old Jan 10, 2003, 07:37 PM

damn...y do u ppl keep on talkin bout ppl who can afford bangin cars? Seems to me like all you 30 year olds are mad becuz some of us 16-20 year olds got better cars than you. If you can buy it, then do it. If you have the money, then y the fuq wud u buy a toyota instead of a lex? dont be haters, serious, cuz das how u guys are actin.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
true, and most of my friends have like 3-4 years expirience of driving, no accident (knock on wood), so why not drive a 271hp evo, let alone 333hp M3
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by PlaiBoi
damn...y do u ppl keep on talkin bout ppl who can afford bangin cars? Seems to me like all you 30 year olds are mad becuz some of us 16-20 year olds got better cars than you. If you can buy it, then do it. If you have the money, then y the fuq wud u buy a toyota instead of a lex? dont be haters, serious, cuz das how u guys are actin.
again as stated by shadyshane, it's not necessarily about the cost. it's about the power, performance, and maintenance. the reason that it costs so much is because of these facts, and since it has these features and price tag, it is not targetted at younger drivers. no one said that you CAN'T get an EVO if you are 17, but the general consensus is that most (note: most, NOT all) younger, more inexperienced drivers cannot handle such a car with the responsibility necessary. and again, where do you go from there? when you start living your own life, payin your own bills, and makin your own money, god bless if you can still afford such a high performance machine.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Dpagan - thanx for having my back. You the only not hating.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:00 AM

Man geez i wish i found this form earlier. I couldnt find it after the first time i replied to it so i wasnt able to respond. Hah damn you older people think that im just a spoiled brat eh? Well im not. I maybe the last child but ive done the most work in my family besides my parents and there are 5 childern. Ive been drving a toyota tacoma since ive had gotten my license last year and i do understand that i am young but i believe that i know what im doing. I dont think i want to race with this car either. Sure there will be times when your at that red light with a car but im not going out to the tracks. I dont believe in ruining my engine. I already got a job and i got it on my own. Im going to be paying for my own car insurance too. I understand that its gunna be half my pay check every month but to have this car i believe its well worth it. Ive wore my brothers clothes and other family clothes that were passed down to me ever since the day i was born. I never ask money from my parents unless its important. Thats why i got my job. So i could use my own money. The only reason my parents are gunna get me this car is because ive been doing better that the rest of the kids in the family and ive been working hard in school and out of school. Thanks for all your warnings too. I actually told my dad to buy me a 96 integra but he refuses to buy used cars so i ended up choosing this. Its my dream car so im gunna leave it at that.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Jovani
Dpagan - thanx for having my back. You the only not hating.
i'm not sayin i'm old, cause i'm only 22. but it is often the case that younger people think they know everything and are not willing to head the warnings of more experienced people. not once have i said that if you are 17 you don't deserve an EVO. or that you can't get one cause you'll destroy it. but what i am saying (and others that are older) is that it is a big responsibility to have so much power and performance, and not all younger kids (or even older people) can handle it. but as age and experience increase, the ability to responsibly handle a car of this magnitude increases. so what we ARE saying, contrary to the younger people thinking we are saying "i hate young kids", is:

1. know what you are getting into. don't think that you are invincible in this car.
2. know that there is a lot of maintenance and responsibility in taking care of this car. it's not a car that you drive every day and not worry about it til the next oil change. you have to mind every aspect of it constantly so that you can increase the life of it.
3. know that if your parents are buying you this car, when comes time to buy your own, you may (or may not) be in for a big disappointment when you can't afford a car on the same level.

this is all. not saying "don't get it". i am saying think about what you are getting into, and try and be responsible and mature with it.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DPagan
Rasputin - I had nothing against you personally. But you disrespected Jovani by saying it's possibly terrifying that an 18 year old is getting an Evo and also by pretty much accusing him of lying when he said he can afford it. Also every post you made in this thread had a negative comment about teenagers. The only exception was the one post from Jan 10, 2003 07:05 AM.

Quote "The fact remains that 90% of 18 year olds that can afford an Evo are getting one bought for them."

Show me a survey proving your figure. If you can't, don't make up statistics. And unless you have that survey, guess what, IT ISN'T A FACT.

You're coming out all militant over an opinion presented in a strident manner, reinforced by experience. It's funny.

Mark Twain once said that there are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.

You ask for facts, so I'll give you some facts:

I. November 1996. The Teenage Driver. Pediatrics, 98(5), 987-991.

-Motor Vehicle Accidents remain the leading cause of death in youth from 16
through 20 years of age.

- 16 year old drivers are 20 times more likely to have a crash than the general
population

- The adolescent is a novice driver. The lack experience and ability to perform
many of the complex tasks of ordinary driving.

- Adolescent driving habits are strongly influenced by emotions, peer group
pressure, and other stresses

- Adolescents have a much higher nighttime crash fatality rate

- The use of alcohol and other drugs puts adolescents at particularly high risk. The combination of marijuana and alcohol is particularly popular and deadly

- The low rate of safety belt use. Adolescents report using safety belts only about 35% of the time

April 2000. Teen Angels Can You Hear This Message. US News & World

Report, 128(13), 51.

- 16 yr old driver with three or more passengers is 3X more likely to have a fatal accident. Contrast, risk for 30-59 yr olds is decreased with each passenger

- Controversy lies in the lack of driving experience rather than stupid behavior

April 1997. AAP Statement on Teenage Drivers. American Family Physician, 55(5), 1986.

- Motor Vehicle Accidents result in more than 5000 deaths annually

- Four times as likely to have a nighttime crash

- Leading cause of head and spinal cord injuries

Dickinson, A. (2002). Riding in Cars with Girls. Time, 158(3), 145.

- There has been a recent rise in female adolescent accidents

- Parents are worn out from driving children and are happy to finally have
teenagers with licenses

- “Big boring cars” have less fatalities

- Girls skills improve much more quickly than those of boys

--

Am I done yet? Studies like these are why I say negative things. Let me emphasize my point since you've been missing it:
overall, in general, teenagers driving powerful cars is a bad, bad idea.

On a case by case basis, sure. My parents never would have let me behind the wheel of a car like an Evo when I was young. My mother, being the worrywart that she is, STILL gets nervous when I gun around in my father's Saab Turbo when I visit. Heck, she screams at me that I'm driving too fast doing 65 on a highway in my Lancer.

It seems the older of us can't make this obvious enough to the younger ones around here. It's not about the money.

The concept of Jovani being able to afford an Evo is terrifying because that's a significant amount of money and to be making that at 18 is terrifying in a good sense of the word. Good for him if he's making that much.

I don't call him a liar. I doubt. This is the internet. As a wise man once wrote, "the great thing about the Internet is that nobody knows you're a dog."

Take a deep breath. And as to my 90%...apologies, currently it's at 50% of reported 16-18 year olds in this thread; hwever, 0% of the USDM Evo VIII's have been delivered, so this number may rise.

Stay tuned.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

right on. i can't wait til i turn 25 for two reasons:

1. insurance on my car will go down significantly.
2. i will have earned this reduce in rates because of my more than 8 years driving experience.

hopefully i will also be married and settled down and have less reason to go speeding around. maybe by then i will be ready to drive and maintain (another key word that seems to be missing in all these posts) a car like the evo.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:32 AM

BTW ive never drunk beer before and i dont go to house parties. Ive never smoked weed or did any drugs before. I dont plan to smoke anything in my life. I dont plan to drink and alcohol until the age of 21 and for only special occassions.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

i'm not sayin i'm old, cause i'm only 22. but it is often the case that younger people think they know everything and are not willing to head the warnings of more experienced people. not once have i said that if you are 17 you don't deserve an EVO. or that you can't get one cause you'll destroy it. but what i am saying (and others that are older) is that it is a big responsibility to have so much power and performance, and not all younger kids (or even older people) can handle it. but as age and experience increase, the ability to responsibly handle a car of this magnitude increases. so what we ARE saying, contrary to the younger people thinking we are saying "i hate young kids", is:
Thanx for your concern(and everyone elses) about younger kids not being able to handle a fast high performance car. In a way I do agree with you cupOZnj, but I have experience with a fast car (Like I said before I own a 250 WHP Eclipse GSX which is my first car).

Why do I agree? Because a EVO might be too fast for an older OR younger person to handle, but its not like people are gonna take their EVOs to the track (maybe for 1/4 times). I think anyone can handle any car on the streets with or without experience. As long as you aint going 80 in a 40 MPH zone. Well thats just my 2 cents. Have a nice day.