Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Ralliart vs. Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2005, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evilralliart
jwhitey,
a car like what? wrx ? if you been reading i was talking about already moving...i know i cant touch it from take off....now i really wanna now where are those 210 horses on the type -s RSX...i can hang with it from take off and i can jump ahead of one while cruizin...o and 150 yes i know what overdrive is just in case you did nt nkow i am a car mechanic(and a helicopter mechanic) so i know a bit about anything that moves with an engine...(except diesels) overdrive feels different on auto vs. sticks also the engaging points are different..just like auto mivecs engage at higher speeds than 5 speeds ...
You can take an RSX-s? Lightly modded RSX-s can hang with or take an Evo at highway speeds. You can just it off the line due to torque, but it'll come back in a hurry. You're either full of it, or whoever you raced can't drive. When you're jumping ahead of them while cruising, are you sure that they're actually racing you? Or do you use the element of surprise and then brag that you "jumped them".

1... 2... (evilralliart takes off)... 3... GO!

Thanks for telling us that the gearing is different on autos than it is on manuals. We would've never guessed that. Would you also like to take this opportunity to tell us that they also have a different number of gears? Perhaps you'd also like to discuss what RPMs the engines are at at 75mph, and which tranny is actually in MIVEC and which one is not. Or the fact that the Sportback weighs 200lbs more than a manual RA and the effects that has on speed and acceleration.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 06:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this thread has officially gone to the sh1ter

take your macho arguments off topic =P

-joe
Old Jun 29, 2005, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

yeah I was talking about the wrx. And you can't take him off the line and I think it is like tuff guy said. 1...2...evilralliart....3...go I think thats it, or your racing people that know they can blow your doors off and their saving you face. You gotta think you got alot more weight than some of the other cars. I your gonna beat em. If you can do all the things you say you can you need to start racing for pinks. Then you'll find out if they were palyin or cause next you see them they'll be waveing from your ride.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

sillypuddy ,you are absolutly right....oh and whitey..this people are member of the car club..the reason we always race and play arround is because we roll in order..fastest cars at the back slowest at the front....im you must be crazy about what you said of the RSX..now if you were talkin about a type-R integra...well the one in our club is lighly modded and that car is just sick... oh and i think sillypuddy realized how this tread went just into bashing automatic ralliarts....for some reason i thought we are all here because we like our cars...better than others...
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

what was this thread about again?
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

who knows? ohh! wait someone arguing that there no way that a auto would beat a 5spd or something like that..we will see i talk to a yellow ralliart owner today with one of those with the infinity sub in the trunk and he said he will go to the next test and tune at the track just to see how the cars compare since we are the only one in the area with ralliarts(that we know of)and im actually gonna let him borrow my tires (he has the goodyears i have P-zeros...cool guy... but now im gonna say something in favor of you automatic haters...he took off hard and ...holy crap i dont think an auto with a few mods can touch a stock 5 spd...i ran with my buddy that owns an 99 vtec prelude and we went at it up to like 95 then he started to get away and i seen his car against others but he is not touching a 5 speed ralliart in the 1320...(hey it was a "private road" no street racing here....
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

As for the R32 vs STI question, I'd wonder about the tires, the clutches, and about the way they achieve their power.

toughguy,
to answer your question now that i got the details they both are turbos the VW R32 has EIP stage 1 everything (clutch is a stage2) it was dynoed at 218whp before and the after was actually 310.8whp ,the STI is stock..well not anymore..but it was at the time
Old Jun 29, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

where abouts in upstate NY are you? i'm outside of buffalo, we should meet up before i sell my car
Old Jun 30, 2005, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

im way upstate ,1000 island region by alex bay....but hey..there is a show in syracuse the last saturday of may and we are all going...
Old Jun 30, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Evil ralliart noone was bashing autos you were telling people stuff that was false in all pretensees because you have no proof. Make a video prove it. If you want to state a case to me and you think your right show us.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

jwhitey,
false? well i might have to prove you wrong..maybe if mitsuSkot goes to the Syracuse,NY sport compact and truck blast he can verify it for you...MitsuSkot i you go to that show look for the Yellow sportback ralliart ,a silver STI with a transformer graphic, a red ,a blue and silver 350z ,a red R32 ,a blue 1.8t gti,a supercharged red golf, a yellow spec V with a CF hood and trunk and a mark iv yellow supra...thats the one going as of now (east coast REDLINE motorsports) all have the decal...the VWs got it on the back. the STI owner and the silver 350zare the ones that been arround for every metting so they are the ones to ask and the the spec v owner might tell you that he can take me with his factory rims...well he can...his car is not stock but is rolling on 19's and posted a 16.3 at the track...(with the 19's)
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsuskot,
have you seen any other ralliart down your way? i only seen 2 cars. a yellow and a silver one arround my area...(jefferson county) and 2 sporback LS a blue and a red one...older women driven...oh and i saw a white one down arround Syr about 2 months ago but it had louisiana plates
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by captain150
Let me explain overdrive to you, it's just too painfully obvious you don't know

Overdrive, any gear where the output shaft is driven FASTER than the input shaft. The ratios would be something like 0.7:1 or 0.65:1 or 0.87:1
All 3 of those are overdrive gears. An example of a gear that is not overdrive would be
3.5:1 or 2.75:1.
The input shaft is turning faster than the output (for the lower gears).
In the auto RA, 4th gear is overdrive since its ratio is about 0.75:1 (or so). 3rd gear in the auto RA is 1:1 (gearset locked together).
In the manual RA, 4th and 5th are both overdrive. Overdrive feels no different than any other gear, just a lot slower since the engine RPM is very low.
When you are racing, you DON'T want overdrive. Imagine you're in a manual on the highway in 5th, you floor it without downshifting. Pretty slow huh? 5th is the deepest overdrive gear on any manual (unless it has 6 gears, in which case 6th would be the deepest). The "less" overdrive you have the better. Once the ratio is 1:1 or above (2:1 or 3:1 or anything else above 1:1) it's not called overdrive anymore.
One other thing, mivec in the autos acts the exact same as mivec in the manuals. Engage at around 3500 and remains engaged until fuel cut.
Another thing about overdrive, if you're ever in a car that says "O/D off" or "overdrive off" all that does is prevent the transmission from going into 4th gear. So the auto shifts 1, 2, 3 and stays in 3rd. Same thing as putting the auto RA shifter into 3rd, stays out of 4th.
So you know alot about autos?
how does a planetary gearset works? how about a lockup torque converter?what would you do if your 5spd did not have synchros? do you know why is the engine RPM very slow?or maybe you can explain to me the main difference of auto and manual....oh and almost every auto car has a 1:1 on 3rd and also most manuals are 1:1 on either 3rd or 4th gear ,just FYI...would you like me to tell you why my auto squeels the tires when it does the first shift...? it can be done to any car (easier on older cars ) you dont even want to know how many auto trannys i have pull apart(mainly dodges) caravans,neons,stratus,rams....
Old Jun 30, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evilralliart
So you know alot about autos?
how does a planetary gearset works? how about a lockup torque converter?what would you do if your 5spd did not have synchros? do you know why is the engine RPM very slow?or maybe you can explain to me the main difference of auto and manual....oh and almost every auto car has a 1:1 on 3rd and also most manuals are 1:1 on either 3rd or 4th gear ,just FYI...would you like me to tell you why my auto squeels the tires when it does the first shift...? it can be done to any car (easier on older cars ) you dont even want to know how many auto trannys i have pull apart(mainly dodges) caravans,neons,stratus,rams....
You opened a big can of worms man, but if I must...

A planetary gearset contains a sun gear, planet gears (between 2 to 4, depending on the application of the transmission) and a ring gear. 4 or 5 speed autos usually have 2 planetary gear sets, one in front, one in behind. The different ratios are available by locking and unlocking certain inputs/outputs. Use the sun as the input, ring as the output, hold the planet carrier. That will give you a reverse (ring gear turning opposite way from the sun). Or the planet carrier can be the input, or the ring can be the input. The device to hold the gearsets? Either clutch packs or bands. Most modern autos only have clutch packs since clutch packs are smoother and more consistant. The force behind these clutch packs? 3 possibilities, depending on how old the transmission is. It can be completely mechanical (called a valve body). I won't get into details of fluid flow, since it's too much effing typing.
But basically, valves, under fluid pressure, open and allow the fluid to push against pistons (not unlike a disc brake caliper piston) to hold the clutch packs, or bands.
That's 1.
2. Solenoid assisted valve body. Basically it replaces the mechanical valves. The solenoids open and let fluid through to act on the pistons for the clutch packs, or bands.
3. Full solenoid operated trans. Not too common yet, not even sure if they are on the market. The solenoids operate directly on the clutch packs.

Lockup torque converter? Oh GOD give me something harder. The torque converter is basically a fluid coupling, but is called a "torque converter" because it has a stator in the center which reroutes the fluid to multiply torque when the 2 sides of the converter are moving at different speeds. That's the key, without a lockup unit, the 2 sides of a torque converter will always turn at different speed (engine side will turn faster than the trans side, since the only connection is fluid). A lock up converter has an electric clutch that locks the 2 sides of the converter together, so the converter acts like a manual transmission's clutch, the engine and trans sides are turning as one.

Busted synchros in a manual? You have to double clutch to match the layshaft (and collars) with the output shaft (and dog teeth) for each gear that has a busted synchro. With the clutch in, the layshaft freewheels. A synchro matches the layshaft (and collar) to the dog teeth before the dog teeth touch the collar (to avoid grinding as the dog teeth scrape along the collar).
Double clutch. Clutch in, neutral, clutch out, rev RPM to bring layshaft to speed for next gear, clutch in, next gear, clutch out. If you get the RPM correct, the gears will slide nicely into place, even if you totally remove all the synchros.

The next question is retarded. "do you know why is the engine RPM very slow?"
Very slow when? At highway speed? Because the ratio is less than one. The engine is turning at, say, 2500RPM, the transmission output shaft (before differential) will be over that, about 3200 or so. The differential slows this down for the wheels. I understood gear ratios in grade 5

Main difference between an auto and manual? Again, a stupid question. There is no context to the question, but i'll answer it anyway.
Auto
torque converter
planetary gearset (all gears engaged and meshed all the time)
mechanically or electronically controlled clutches (or bands) to engage and disengage certain gears (sun, planet carrier, ring etc).
No mechanical connection between engine and transmission (until the lockup unit locks up, of course).

Manual
clutch
simple helical cut spur gears connected, by other gears, to a layshaft and rotating on bearings on the output shaft
Simple, mechanical arms (with dog teeth) that slide into the collars of the spur gears to lock the gears to the output shaft (rotating on bearings remember? The dog teeth are splined to the output shaft to lock the gears to the output shaft)
Generic gear oil with splash lubrication, no pump as the auto has.

As for gear ratios, almost every manual has 1:1 on 3rd or 4th? WRONG. Maybe back in the days of 3 or 4 speed manuals. But with 5 and 6 speed manuals, there is rarely a 1:1 ratio, unless the maker purposely designed it into the transmission. 4th is usually the closest to 1:1 though, which is why most people dyno in 4th.
An auto has a 1:1 ratio for a COMPLETELY different reason. More than one part of the planetary gearset is locked, so the whole shebang turns as a single unit. What happens when it turns as a single unit? The input and output shaft turn at the same speed, so you get a 1:1 ratio.
An auto CAN break the tires loose when it shifts. Pretty damn simple, the piston for 1st unlocks the clutch, then the clutch for 2nd locks. Depending on the transmission, the clutch holding 2nd gear may be strong enough to break the tires lose (after the torque converter AND WITH A LOCKED CLUTCH OR BAND, the wheels are connected to the whole transmission).
Going a step further, it is easier to break the tires of an old car loose during an auto shift because most old cars have aftermarket valve bodies (which push on the clutch pistons much harder and faster).
BTW the automatic in the RA has much stiffer shifts than any old car, unless that car has an aftermarket valve body.

You're so owned.

Last edited by captain150; Jun 30, 2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

That was a very informational read. Awesome stuff. ^^

Quick Reply: Ralliart vs. Ralliart