Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hmm...Love the RS, but it makes me nerrrvous...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmm...Love the RS, but it makes me nerrrvous...

Hello! I am interested in purchasing an MR or RS very soon. I was leaning towards the MR because of the six-speed. I really liked the RS more because of its exceptional speed, but no ABS makes me reeeaal nervous. That's why the RS has been out of the picture for awhile. I am having a hard time finding a decent used MR, so the new RS may be back in the picture...

I'm afraid that one day if I have to slam on my brakes I will go skidding into the car in front of me like a bicycle. Also, I live in Chicago so snow must be taken into consideration...

RS owners, let me know how the brakes have treated you. Any skidding when slamming on them? How is it in the snow? Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have an RS, just a regular evo, but I can tell you it takes A LOT to lock up the brakes. I have had to brake HARD at least a dozen times and the ABS has only come on once.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

i dirve an rs and have no problems with the brakes, but i also live in sandiego so i dont have to drive it in the snow. on rainy days i would just leave some extra space to the car in front of me. however i did take my car to the snow once and the lack of abs in the snow=scary. i almost slid into a gard rail and i was only going about 5 mph.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

if you can afford the MR, i say get it
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

I have a regular evo with ABS and I don't really like how the ABS system works in the snow. I almost think I could do a better job of stopping the car by just pumping them myself, I wouldn't sweat not having ABS too much. Go for the new RS, man. Then you get a warranty and you know that nobody else screwed with the car before you ... just my .02
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I like that...Just nervous without the ABS man...Anyone else's experiences?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

I love my RS. I love the brakes. You can stop faster than 99.9% of cars on the road due to Brembos and sticky tires so rear-ending someone really should not be an issue. It takes alot to lock them up. I have lived in the far north and have many thousands of miles in heavy snow and I can tell you that ABS sucks in the snow. I like to be able to rotate the car in the snow with the brakes. But you should have a dedicated snow tire for the winter if you plan to do much winter driving. I've driven the RS in the snow, at the track, autocross, and as a daily driver. I would buy another one in a second.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I've had to hit the brakes hard a couple time in my RS and they've never locked up.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

ABS SUX

It will give you a headache on the track. Go with the RS its the EVOs queen.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

no need to worry about evo's stopping power. I had mercedes with all the computer helped ABS. I feel a lot safer with my evo RS.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:35 PM

It's hard to justify buying a car for street driving today that doesn't have ABS. The lack of ABS also hurts resale down the road. Considering the differences in equipment and the difference in price, if you can't swing an MR, why not just go for a regular VIII. The lack of ABS in low friction conditions requires the driver to have a level of skill and reflexes that many like to think they have only to learn the hard way that they aren't as good in an emergency as they thought.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

although ABS does come in handy in emergency situations, it's not 100% necessary. if you know your car, im sure you'll be ok. just dont do stupid stuff when there's snow on the ground. i mean ABS is a relatively new thing..people went through many winters without ABS and seeing that the american population is growing massively, i dont think it's too much of a problem

then again, im generalizing to the max, but trust me, you'll be ok. The lancers dont come with ABS and it feels much safer than driving my mom's 96 Dodge Grand Caravan (w/ ABS!) in the snow.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by painthorseblu
It's hard to justify buying a car for street driving today that doesn't have ABS. The lack of ABS also hurts resale down the road. Considering the differences in equipment and the difference in price, if you can't swing an MR, why not just go for a regular VIII. The lack of ABS in low friction conditions requires the driver to have a level of skill and reflexes that many like to think they have only to learn the hard way that they aren't as good in an emergency as they thought.
umm...:drops b.s. flag:

wrx to evo...been there. tough choice but a good one. the rs is a really raw car.

its a monsoon where i live. lack of abs isnt a problem. id rather not have abs when im heading to the mountains. the brakes give enough feedback that you shouldnt lock them up (unless you run some lame tires).
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ashumo
umm...:drops b.s. flag:

wrx to evo...been there. tough choice but a good one. the rs is a really raw car.

its a monsoon where i live. lack of abs isnt a problem. id rather not have abs when im heading to the mountains. the brakes give enough feedback that you shouldnt lock them up (unless you run some lame tires).
Just the attitude I was talking about.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

not everyone is insecure about their driving. some of grew up driving in places where snow and rain is more common than dry pavement.

evoled, rs is a good choice.

Quick Reply: Hmm...Love the RS, but it makes me nerrrvous...