Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Clunk! during hard braking-- drivetrain motion related?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2007, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can it lead to any damages if you dont get it fixed quick?
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

depends
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

I've managed to reproduce the problem on the road. If I hit a bump (even a slight one) while accelerating (doesn't have to be hard, but not coasting) and the wheel loses traction for a moment I hear the loud clunk. Now if I'm coasting over the bump or going over potholes I don't hear anything.

Friend of mine said to check my engine mounts, but now that evolution_racer mentioned bearings, that makes more sense. Let's see what the dealer says.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Let us know what you find out. Hopefully it's the same problem as I was having because it's an easy and inexpensive fix (both carrier bearings were $80 from Mitsu). If not, I'm curious to know what's causing it.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 03:18 PM

I too have the clunk, but mine sounds more like the srtut is about to come through the hood, but there are no signs of this actually happening. I get it over bumbs, HARD accel, HARD decel only. I can hit bumpy roads at speed and I dont hear it, but if Im trying to slowly climb a curbed driveway (3-4 inch curb) it does it.

At first I thought its a blown strut and/or missing/destroyed bumpstop. The car is lowered with stock struts so I was gunna check this out over the weekend.

Keep yall posted.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 07:48 PM

Well I got under the car this weekend and looked at my suspension components. Nothing jumped out at me so I sprayed some wd40 on my endlink and made sure all my boots and things were intact and properly lubed. I have yet to hear the noise again so we'll see
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

I have the clunk on the front of mine as well. I have taken it to 3 Mitsu dealerships and they cannot find the noise.
Old May 2, 2007, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Took it to the dealership yesterday and I couldn't reproduce the noise on the test drive, then the moment I left the dealership it happened!

So I'm back again at the dealership right now waiting for another test drive. Hopefully it'll happen
Old May 2, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsu tech was almost rolling his eyes when I told him about how I reproduced the noise AFTER I left the dealership yesterday, and he said if it's hard to reproduce then he most probably won't be able to diagnose it. Well luckily for me i was able to make it happen this time, and several times. So now at least he's taking me seriously. Let's see what they come back with, car's up on the hoist.
Old May 2, 2007, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Break Float .. did u just change to Hawke HPS?
Old May 2, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

I WAS ABLE TO SOLVE MY CLUNK:-

As you can see on page 1, I had this clunk for AGES.

Recently, I changed my suspension to new Tein Monoflex suspension, and obviously they are firmer than the stock suspension (JDM IX).

The clunk noise got louder and louder. I thought it was related to the suspension or that area, so after MUCH diagnosing (and we're talking HOURS), we FINALLY found it.

The mechanic tightened ALL the bolts/nuts under the car, ALL of them on the body/chassis, and magically, NO MORE CLUNK. I had NO idea that very slightly loose nuts/bolts at the bottom could cause it, as it sounded like something HITTING, but there you have it.

So if you guys have this problem, TIGHTEN ALL THE SCREWS/BOLTS/NUTS on the bottom of your car/chassis. The car feels rock solid, I've thrown it around and NO MORE CLUNK for sure.

And note, my car is a NEW JDM IX so I presume other people's cars might have the same problem. Try it and give some feedback here so we can all add to our knowledge!
Old May 4, 2007, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not trying to be debbie downer but that might only be a temporary fix. When I had the problem I did the same thing and tightend up everything. It did fix the clunk initially but after a week or so it came back after eveyrthing settled. Hopefully yours will stay fixed, good luck!
Old May 4, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by johnjonfenomeno
Break Float .. did u just change to Hawke HPS?

Nope, still on stock brakes.

So I have a brand new front right strut courtesy of the dealer, but it still clunks like crazy. They said to bring it back on Wednesday. I'm convinced that it's an engine mount because now if I brake hard (even on a smooth surface) I feel the clunk as if something moves forward, and immediately afterwards if I gas it hard I feel it move backwards. I also can feel the clunk through the pedals, so i can't think of anything else that can behave like that.
Old May 14, 2007, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Dropped off the car back to the dealer on Wednesday , by this time even moderate braking causes the clunk. Itś as if something moves forward under braking, and if you gas afterwards you can hear it move backwards. I can feel the clunk through the pedals as well. Anyway they could not replicate the noise so they wanted me to make an appointment with the District Service Manager, but in the meantime they said they tightened everything, and even checked the engine mounts. So I picked up the car, and this time I could not hear any clunking. Put it through the usual tests and it passed fine. So either they tightened something that they missed before, or they fixed the problem and don't want to admit it.

As multiple people had mentioned above , just tightening everything seems to have fixed the problem, but it would have been nice to know what it really was.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Was at an autox this last weekend and the lot wasn't that great. Needless to say the clunking returned and on my final run I thought something was about to fall off. Three of the other Evo drivers there had experienced the same thing and they too had managed to solve it in the past with just tightening the bolts underneath. Guess I'm gonna have to get my torque wrench out and have a go.

Quick Reply: Clunk! during hard braking-- drivetrain motion related?