Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

From a 20th AE GTI to an MR evo...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question From a 20th AE GTI to an MR evo...

no, i dont have an evo yet. yes, im planning on getting one in the near future. right now, im driving a 20th AE (Anniversary Edition, for you non VW guys) GTI. chipped, exhausted, short shifted, intaked, and a couple other mods. its fast, with over 20psi of boost. no one can tell me its not an amazing car, because it is, and ill still think that when i get the evo. But i was simply wondering if any of you are former or even current VW owners, and what your experience was when going from a GTI or GLI or the like, to an evo. are you happy you did it? pros? cons? gimmy the low down, thanks
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:26 PM

Former 2002 GTI 1.8t owner here. Mine was heavily modified, custom turbo kit, custom tb exhaust, FMIC, coilovers, BBS wheels, you name it. Sold the GTI over a year ago and now recently bought a 2006 Evo MR. I can honestly tell you there is no comparing the performance, the evo puts the GTI to shame in every catergory. The Evo stock is faster then my GTI with all it's mods. The difference between FWD and AWD is night and day.

You won't look back, I promise you there. The *only* thing i miss from my GTI was the interior was nicer, but I can get over that.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fromer jazz blue 20th owner.... #1584 with a big turbo upgrade... let me tell you, you wont look back as far as performance, sure i miss the style but thats bout it
Old Aug 3, 2006, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

'79 diesel Rabbit
'84 Rabbit Gti
'91 Corrado Vr6
'00 Golf GLi Vr6
'03 Evo
'05 Evo MR
And I wont be looking back either!
Old Aug 3, 2006, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

For some reason I always wanted a really fast Golf so I can pull of that eurotrash/techno bumpin look....

I imagine that the evo will blow away the GTI once you get your first real rip at what it can do. I'll never forget when I got to drive one for the first time...I'd kill to see the look and hear my evil laugh when I punched it.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

I was in the same boat, i had a 337 w/ custom turbo kit, fmic, coilovers etc.... dont miss it abit performance wise, and i like the interiors the same

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Former 2002 GTI 1.8t owner here. Mine was heavily modified, custom turbo kit, custom tb exhaust, FMIC, coilovers, BBS wheels, you name it. Sold the GTI over a year ago and now recently bought a 2006 Evo MR. I can honestly tell you there is no comparing the performance, the evo puts the GTI to shame in every catergory. The Evo stock is faster then my GTI with all it's mods. The difference between FWD and AWD is night and day.

You won't look back, I promise you there. The *only* thing i miss from my GTI was the interior was nicer, but I can get over that.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:09 AM
Account Disabled

I owned several modified VW....Corrado, GTI 337 and R32, enjoyed all of them. In the performance aspect it can't compare to my EVO 9 MR. FWD compared to AWD . Only thing I miss about my VW was the sweet sound of the R32 VR6 motor and the kewl interior, but thats it.

As I remember in the VW community, they were several 1.8T owners with the mentality of, "1.8T can never lose".
Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

i have a friend that went from a R32 Golf that was supercharged to an evo and has never been happier.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Former VW R32 owner here.

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Exactly.

If you want easy power, are big into tuning, and want a car with far more potential, you have come to the right place. I put 47,000 miles on my R32 in a year, but it just wasn't the car for me. Now I have a 2005 Evo with a blown motor (go figure) and I still don't regret trading in the VW. Don't get me wrong, the VW R32 was an awesome car for what it was, but I need a bit more. I actually spent alot of time driving a friend's 20th anniv. GTI as well, and I think the boost is what made me switch to the dark side (AWD + turbo).

You are in the right place. Driving an Evo is like cheating, especially in Auto-x
Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

former 2000 gls 1.8t golf owner with $13,000 in mods including big turbo upgrade and huge fmic. it was a tire scorcher. the thing i loved about that car was how hard it pulled up top. 5 valves per cyl was great for top end. traction sucked, and bad. 275ftlb tq in front wheel drive dont mix.

still by far my favorite car. the looks are just so classy. i almost traded my evo for a r32, then realized that the R takes 10g's just to get 350hp out of it.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by milo
As I remember in the VW community, they were several 1.8T owners with the mentality of, "1.8T can never lose".
Haha, I remember those days. Good times.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05 EVO RS
i have a friend that went from a R32 Golf that was supercharged to an evo and has never been happier.
bro, yellow evo here in albany, trying to figure out who u are. what color was the R and what color is the rs?
Old Aug 3, 2006, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

I have a passat w8 still And oh yea, 1.8T nevAr loses
Old Aug 3, 2006, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

mk4 gti vr6 24v with plenty of mods.........05 evo GSR with plenty of mods........i will never retrun to the VW world. I still love vw, but there is NO comparison youll love the evo.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by milo
ahaha yup, i use to be one of those kids, only with the VR (which is worse ahaha) then my buddy took me for a ride in his stock MR.......yeah i shut my mouth real quick and 3 months later bought an evo. Its funny how when you have a much slower car your always trying to prove how fast it is.....but once you get an evo or something similar in power....you could care less about proving it.

Quick Reply: From a 20th AE GTI to an MR evo...