Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Pros and Cons of having a 2003 or 2004 Evolution?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros and Cons of having a 2003 or 2004 Evolution?

Alright well I have made a list of my own, the PROS and CONS of having a 2003 or 2004 Evolution. Make your own and post it, along with any little input blirb.

PROS:

You can get them with low miles for $20,000 or so... what a steal!

They are the easiest to find

The cost of the car being so cheap makes it that much more enjoyable because you didn't break the bank to have one

2003's ALL HAD HID'S (I love those things)

Blue By You (weird blue but very original and that's why I like it, I don't know if they had BBY in 2004 though)

They are still fast

All in all I like the prospect of finding myself a 2003 or 2004 EVO VIII because the 03-04 years are the most abundant, they are not very expensive anymore and hey it's kind of cool to have the FIRST ones right? I would rather spend less, have the same car with less miles because it is a couple years older, I mean who doesn't feel alot better when having a car that is not so damn expensive out of the box but does the trick. $20,000 and $25-30,000 is a big difference for essentially the same car of close to.

CONS:

I hear that these cars have gear grinds (which means a trans rebuild right?) transfer case breaks, repeated clutch problems even after replacement... (This crap isn't cheap and I am told it even happens to EVO's that were BABIED and never modded) Now that sucks but is it true? Seems like the 2003 and 2004 EVO's are a hit or miss repair headache

They are not as fast. I guess the 2003-2004's usually run say a 13.5 quarter mile vs the 05's that run 13.1 ish and the IX's that run high 12's

All in all, it seems like if I buy a 2003 or 2004 even with low miles I am buying a problematic car, a car that on top of the expensive maintinance and replacement costs I have extra problems to take care of because of early build design flaws right?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

CONS: Random Misfire on some of the early ones.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
If you get one that has never been modded with low miles for a decent price you cant beat it. That is exactly what I did and I have no regrets.
The transmission and transfer case is just about the biggest gripe you will hear from almost every Evo owner.
Dont forget about the peeling Brembos and fading wing problem as well.

If you can afford it get a brand new IX or wait for the X if you like that.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:37 AM

Well I would like to know the odds of those things occuring, are they a one time fix issue or do they keep going.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

to be honest, when i was looking for an evo i wouldn't get ANYTHING but a 2003 with NO sunroof and had to be apex silver. I've heard bad things about the 2003-2004 but i mean, look how long the evo has been out, it was in its 8th generation so i mean having one of the first to come to america was def a plus. But i dont see how they would be ALL that problematic if the cars new body style had been being made 2 years prior to 03 (correct me if im wrong lol) in my eyes, its pretty similar to the evo 7. As far as performance, eh 13.5 thats nothing a boost controller and some other mods cant fix haha

pro's
-first in america
-still an evo
-BBY! i have yet to see one
cons'
-dont know yet, havnt had any problems haha
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Paint fades, synchros fail, weak trasfercase, open front diff, Worst interior, smallest turbo, paint fails, suspension fails, breaks fade as well.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by RichEd223
Well I would like to know the odds of those things occuring, are they a one time fix issue or do they keep going.
If you beat on the car, i.e. launching off the 2 step at 6 grand and power shift all the time you will have drivetrain problems.

The transfer case wasnt built to launch at 6k.....it was built to go like 60mph around a corner with the car sideways.

The p0300 code is hit or miss..........some have it.......some dont, even after dealer reflash. It is MUCH more common after mods, especially drivetrain and cams.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dabaysevo
CONS: Random Misfire on some of the early ones.
Originally Posted by High_PSI
Paint fades, synchros fail, weak trasfercase, open front diff, Worst interior, smallest turbo, paint fails, suspension fails, breaks fade as well.
+1. Yep, my early 2003 had this. It's more annoying than anything, and it's not detrimental. If you run a standalone you get around the problem FWIW. The replacement of the 5th gear synchros, which was an issue I didn't have, seemed to be a worse problem to have.

2005 brought the MR with a 6-speed. It had a better stock BOV, suspension, stock rims and...lol...badging.

Interior/visual upgrades for 2006:
No ACD, no all-black alcontra seat options, no leather seat option if you're into it, different visual front bumper, different interior which isn't all black, no CF on the dash,

Engine upgrades off the top of my head for all 2006:
Turbo, mivec, hotside, aluminum BOV, fuel pump

Colors: 2003-04 had BBY (Blew by You). 2005-06 and EB (Electric Blue)

Last edited by boomn29; Apr 20, 2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

well knock on wood i have a 03 and have only had a few issues the faded wing,peeling brake calipers, and maf in the early stages of its life. i really enjoy my car and dont really have to many complaints about it. i think mitsu fell asleep in the paint dept tho. i have a few places on my paint where it just lifted off no impact points. as far as trans and diffs i change the fluid regularly with NEO syth and so far (knock on wood) havent had any real issues. the clutch on the other hand sucks *** from day one but it still works and when it goes out ill put in a better one. i feel alot of the reason why these have had issues is becuase in part of user error to a point and there are some weak spots.
i havent ran into anyone who has had issues with there 03-04 if they drive it normal. i m sure there are a few out there that have. i have modded my evo slightly ATP 3071r and exhaust and minor other bolt ons and so far so good.

well that my take on the subject.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

i <3 my 03 evo. all of my friends have 06 and i enjoy being the underdog just seek in some cam, 10.5 hotside, and other supporting mods and now who's the underdog now lol
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Sounds like the car is a damn nightmare
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

assuming they were not beaten like a red headed step child.... ill add a few more......

PRO

1.alil more steering feedback because lack of LSD
2.cheaper insurance
3.all CF wing

CON
1.no front LSD, more understeer
2.no ACD
3.ugly *** evo8 bumper
4.leaky evo8 plastic POS bov
5.no CF trim dash
6.slightly worse turbo hotside, and slightly worse head flow capacity
7.ugly although very functional blue seats

cant remember any more
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

i only have 30k miles on my 03 and honestly before i got into my accident there wasnt a SINGLE thing i could find wrong with it.... i went allllllllll out making sure that was perfect haha and after i brought it home i spent a good 2 days inspecting the car, i was totally amazed by its condition, still like show room. but yea now its been in an accident, haha EVO WRINKLE LIKE NO OTHER! boooo lol just needs a hood, bumper and fender.. sad sad sad.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

I have an '03 Evo (since 2003) and I haven't had any drivetrain problems. I did experience the joy of peeling Brembos and wing, but I got that fixed under warranty. No codes on the ECU ever.

The HIDs are nice, along with my sunroof, but the interior is a bit cheaper than later models.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the car. After 38K on the odometer I would have expected more problems. I think it all comes down to how hard you (or the previous owner) beat on it. Whoever ends up buying my car in a few years will be a lucky driver.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

i must the only real thing im disapointed in is the resale vaule has seemed to drop in the last year or 2 on the 03-04, but i dont plan on getting rid of it till the wheels fall off. lol

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of having a 2003 or 2004 Evolution?