Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

A little bit more in depth..

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2007, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little bit more in depth..

Okay so I've been doing some extensive research on the following subjects:

A. Breaking-in a new car
B. Break-in oil change

So I already know that break-in is at least the first 600 miles. I, myself, plan to go to 1250 miles without revving over 5000 RPMs. I'm still not sure on some of the things that people have previously stated about the break-in period of a car, so I have a few questions:

A. What does varying the RPM ranges do for the car?

B. When people say to vary in the RPM ranges, do they mean continuously? For example, when finished warming up the car, do I rev up to 5000 in first gear, 4500 in second gear, 4000 in third gear, etc? Or do I vary the RPM ranges in intervals? Such as from 0-250 miles, only rev to 3000 RPMs, from 250-500 miles, only rev to 3500 RPMs, and so on and so forth, increasing the range 500 RPMs every 250 miles until I reach redline. I, myself, was going to use the varying RPM ranges in intervals method.

C. I know that break-in period is for more than just one part of the car, but people usually refer to just the engine. What are the other components that need breaking-in? And how long would that be until they're broken in? Also, any advice in breaking those components in?

D. If I were to get my car, it would be a long drive home. Approximately 400 miles. I heard this is not good for the car, I just want to be clear if it is or is not good. If it isnt, then I will get the car shipped.

Okay, now for the break-in oil change questions:

A. I've read that changing the oil right after break-in would be the best to remove all the metal shavings from breaking the engine in. I was thinking of changing the oil at 1000 miles, but how would you know that there would not be anymore metal shavings after the oil change? The longer I would wait to change the oil, wouldnt that be bad because the metal shavings and other derix are running through the engine?

I have noticed the questions are still newbie, but they havent been thoroughly explained through the other threads. I have spent all day today reading through those threads, and havent come across the answers for my questions. I've seen all the break-in threads talking about the method used to break-in, not really in depth of what I want to know. And for the oil change, they just suggest changing the oil right after break-in, not really what I was looking for as well.

I thank you guys in advance. I hope to hear from you guys soon.

P.s. If everything stays on track, I will be getting my Labrador Black Evolution MR w/Appearance package in 2 weeks, maybe even sooner, I will keep you guys posted. I CANT WAIT! =]
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

BUMP!

Please help!
Old Jun 30, 2007, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

BUMP!

I need to know! At least answer this:

D. If I were to get my car, it would be a long drive home. Approximately 400 miles. I heard this is not good for the car, I just want to be clear if it is or is not good. Because I will make sure that I take breaks during that long driving. I want to know whats the maximum time I could drive before I have to take a break.

And when does boost come in? What RPM?

Also, please answer my previous questions! ALL HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED!

THANKS!
Old Jul 2, 2007, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I bought my car 100 miles from home. I picked up the car, got on the interstate and drove. You are going to have to do the same.

I would recommend you do a little checking before you start out. Make sure there is oil in the crankcase and coolant in the radiator. I once picked up a new car I bought in a town 150 miles away and after I got home I found that all four tires were nearly flat. Tires lose air sitting on the lot and driving on them nearly flat is not good. So, take a tire pressure gauge too.

After you have been on the road a few miles stop and check for leaks. The A/C may drop clear water so don't mistake that for a leak.

All in all I'd say you are being too ****. The break-in period is time for all the moving parts to wear together. So don't beat on the car right away. You can make up a bunch of specific rules but the one above says the same thing.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 02:28 AM
Evolving Member

I am new to the Evo but I have owned about 20 cars and most of them have been race car type, Mustang,Camero, or the mid-to-high end SUVs, and several Motorcycles. You don't have to be that **** about it at all. Just don't Redline shift or do whole shots your first 1200ish (no reason for that really jsut a good number) miles and give time for your lubs,fluids, gaskets, and bands to properly seat (I am being really generic here) I am a believer in extra oil changes. Specially on bikes. To be honest just drive the car as you (ok maybe not you but regular commuters) would drive the car to work and back and obey the laws or the road and you will be fine.
Old Jul 2, 2007, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I thought about it over the weekend, and I was over worrying. My plan is to just drive it like I would normally, but keeping it under 5000 RPMs (This will be my daily driver car). But when does boost come in? And do I really have to boost often?

Thanks again! Sorry for being so ****