Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Transmission reliabilty question and misc ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission reliabilty and misc ?'s

I'm trying to sell my 350Z and get a 2006 Evo preferbly MR SE. If I get an Evo I plan on keeping it completely stock because I've learned the hard way that it's difficult to sell modded cars.

I read that the 6sp tranny breaks more so than the 5spd, and that Mitsu is not too good about replacing it under warranty. Is this always the case or only if they suspect the car has been abused? I was reading another thread and someone said just looking at the car voids the warranty. So if I don't mod it and the 6spd fails would they replace my transmission under warranty, because I really like the features of the MR.

I also have a baby and a wife so we can't all ride in the 350Z so I'm wondering if you think an Evo IX would be a very safe car to have a baby in. It's probably very tempting to drive the car fast so maybe using it to carry a baby isn't the best idea.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 05:49 AM
Evolved Member

um it all depends on your driving habits. if you beat on any car it will break. it not hard to sell a modded evo imho. i test drove a 350z for like 2 hours and they suck. they are greatly overpriced. i had a spec v b4 i got my evo and the 350 was not any faster...good luck selling an overpriced car. evo 9 would be a great all around car imo.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the reply. I've got my 350Z on Ebay right now and so far bids are up to 15K I'm wanting 19,5 for it. I also just put down a deposit on an 06 IX MR SE with 16 miles on it, I should be picking it up next weekend. Thanks again!
Old Jul 22, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 350z is kinda like the G35's in the way that everyone thinks theyre 10 second drag cars. Def. nice but at least over here in NY long island thats how it is. Get the EVO dude you wont be dissapointed. Youl probably have more of an issue with the clutch than the tranny and theyres no positive proof about the MR 6-speed being less reliable than the RS, SE, GSR 9 5-speed. Ive had alot of great cars and this one is the BEST all around daily driver. Glad to hear youre ditching the Z.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

I'll miss it, I've put a lot of work it but I'm just not able to drive it that much and it's not as practical.

Old Jul 22, 2007, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

wow, sweet, but the evo mr will be sweeter
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

350's are pure sexy....but i think that nissans have cheap interior just like the evos
my spec v's interior was a joke but i miss her again good luck on the sale man
nismo graphics FTW
Old Jul 23, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Do you think the Evo is still a better car even though it has a cheap interior? I personally never felt that the Z's interior was cheap so maybe I won't feel that same about the Evo?

Originally Posted by EVOL2003
350's are pure sexy....but i think that nissans have cheap interior just like the evos
my spec v's interior was a joke but i miss her again good luck on the sale man
nismo graphics FTW
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:22 AM

The Evo trannies suffer from what every other AWD Mitsu suffers from, and that is the losse nut behind the wheel. If it isn't abused, it will ast a long time. I had a DSm with about 400 whp and the tranny was the original. The car had 128k on it when I got rid of it.

And Nissan interiors are FAR superior to Mitsu interiors, by a long shot.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Nice 350z. I have had my evo for a while and i drive hard and nothing with tranny yet beside replacing a clutch.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:29 AM

I love Z cars. But not 350Z so much. Older Zs are so sexy!! Your Z looks really nice though. Love the hood!

I've only test driven 350Z, so I don't know so much about it. But when I test drove it, I wasn't too impressed. I just thought it was nice car. I test drove Evo 8, and I was "wow!!!!!" Then I test drove Evo 9 SE, and I was amazed!! Then I finally test drove my MR, and I bought it right then and there.

I only have 1600 miles on my 6 speed, so I can't tell you it never breaks down, but unless you are planning to modify it 400+ horse power, it should be alright. As for warranty, I'm keeping mine stock, so I wouldn't know. But the dealer has to prove that the modification caused the malfunction to avoid warranty.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:32 AM

As Far As Warranty Goes With Mitsu It Depends On What Dealer You Go To The Mods You Have And What The Problem Is. Mitsu Most Of The Time Will Find That Abuse Is The Problem.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by koolzero
Do you think the Evo is still a better car even though it has a cheap interior? I personally never felt that the Z's interior was cheap so maybe I won't feel that same about the Evo?
i guess imo the 350 has a slightly better interior, except for the seats. love the recaros. um once you sit in the recaros, and actully drive the car(performance wise) you forget that other then the seat the inside is the same as a base lancer...not really a big deal though. in a word, yes imo the evo is far better then the 350Z. test drive one i dont remember what u did to your 350 but i bet the stock IX will be faster and its got more then 2 seats. for sure get a IX, but even my VIII is better then the 350Z imo. btw my buddies a cop so they gave us the keys to the 350. we put it through its paces, nice car but not evo nice imhobtw still on stock clutch at 47k

Last edited by EVOL2003; Jul 23, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies. Since I'm selling 2 cars (Z and Accord) to get the Evo I will be leaving it stock, and it's going to be my daily driver (hopefully I don't regret this decision ).

Last edited by koolzero; Jul 23, 2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by koolzero
Thanks for the replies. Since I'm selling 2 cars (Z and Accord) to get the Evo I will be leaving it stock, and it's going to be my daily driver (hopefully I don't regret this decision ).
you wont.....
not moddin huh?
well see how long that last man G/L

Quick Reply: Transmission reliabilty question and misc ?'s