Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.
View Poll Results: Was YO Parts unjustly expelled from EvoM?
Yes, YO Parts deserves to be here just like any other company.
80.00%
No, YO Parts and their business model threatened the integrity of our community.
20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

YO Parts Fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlesJ
Well then...I have a very good response to that. So should we bring back RNR, project gen, or any other company that screw people over since its not our job to get involved. I am not saying yoparts screws people over...just making a point on getting involved as it goes both ways. If we left on companies that screwed people over, I dont think people would take your position. Second part of my response is that we are in no way dictating were you can shop, we are simply making on a ruling on who we allow to advertise and by extension put our name behind.

And yet another side to the story. So you let the consumers determine what happens. Consumers that by the majority are concerned for themselves in the short term. Most of them are not educated enough (by no fault of their own) on the effects and behind the scenes of the industry. Then hypothetically, it creates all the problems mentioned and ends up damaging the community and industry, thereby indirectly and directly hurting the customer as well. Then what? Too late at that point to go back.
That's a very poor analogy to bring in RNR. Who exactly has YO screwed over? It seems their only problem is they have violated some unwritten arbitrary pricing rule on EVOm, under price our favorites and we'll send you packing.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
That's a very poor analogy to bring in RNR. Who exactly has YO screwed over? It seems their only problem is they have violated some unwritten arbitrary pricing rule on EVOm, under price our favorites and we'll send you packing.
much agreed. Not everyone wants to spend 1k on a AMS header. AMS is a great company but racing parts add up.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

New IDEA!!!

WELL, I've decided to take a whole new proposition towards being in this industry. I'm going to buy myself a subscription to YoParts and offer "my cost" pricing to ANYONE who wants it for a small charge of 20$ per order extra. So basically you can order 5000$ in parts if you like through me but from YoParts and you'll only have to pay 20$ per order. If you order more then 5 times it will be free. That way worse case, you still only spent the same 100$ you would have spent getting your own subscription. Let me know guys!!!

-Steve
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
You're gonna get banned just like YO when all the other vendors cry.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

I think he is joking??
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure he is. Just pointing out the absurdity.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Its funny how this cat and mouse game gets out of hand. AMS cant sell a turbo kit like they use to cause of all the comp. And lower prices
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

this is ridiculous lol i hope they all realize this is America and we don't stand for stuff like this!!!

go for yo parts
Old Nov 28, 2007, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
we have learned that we need to do our best to get customers in our doors, and see that we are a service based company..

because margins are low on parts....

CB
Chad... you are a damn genius..... its no wonder your business does so well.

Originally Posted by Steve@TopLevelAuto
WELL, I've decided to take a whole new proposition towards being in this industry. I'm going to buy myself a subscription to YoParts and offer "my cost" pricing to ANYONE who wants it for a small charge of 20$ per order extra. So basically you can order 5000$ in parts if you like through me but from YoParts and you'll only have to pay 20$ per order. If you order more then 5 times it will be free. That way worse case, you still only spent the same 100$ you would have spent getting your own subscription. Let me know guys!!!

-Steve
You know what... this as much of a joke as it is, would actually work. Im sure you are doing this anyway though, only you arent ordering from yoparts you are ordering from the same places they are... and marking up 50 instead of 20. unless its on sale or group buy, in that case, 35.

i still find the pricing thing funny. i have so many price quotes from them and other vendors and there are things they just dont have the lowest prices on and that was my first complaint about their advertising. I even have a PM from tom when they first opened because i said their scheme was BS because their prices werent as cheap as they were claiming. What i grew to realize is... they are as cheap or close +- 5% than any other vendor who offers parts on special. What i understood after that is i can shop in one place, get the same prices i would after calling 30 other people and save myself a heap of time. Obviously on some things, their prices are rock bottom, but that is because the mark up on those items is so high.

Isnt this the way of america though ? did anyone complain when super walmarts opened ? you mean i get groceries and clothes (for some of you) and dvd's in the same place ? thats blasphomy. how dare they steal business from food lion. If that isnt a great example i dont know what is. More or less thats what yoparts was doing... you can get everything in one place at a good price. It may not be the best price, but man convenience and service with a smile is a wonderful selling tactic

Last edited by bigric09; Nov 28, 2007 at 05:09 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i wish you could preview the price difference before you sign up
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
You obviously did not read my post well, or the post it was responding to, or possible all my last posts before that. I even stated directly in the post that I am not trying to compare RNR to yoparts. I was making a point about us stepping in. The person I was responding to basically said we should never step in and let the consumers decide and educated themselves. I made a counter point to that statement. When we have knowledge of something bad for the short OR long term, we believe it is our duty to act.

Further more, you represent exactly the type of person that makes this decision not possible to be made or understood by the public. You are concerned about yourself and you price of your next purchase only. Before you get upset about that, I am not saying that is a bad thing. It actually what I expect from the average consumer who does not have the behind the scenes knowledge or experience. In your position, I might feel the same way.

Now, on a separate note, if this thread gets out of hand, starts going in circles, or we start getting posters on here that are clearly posting without reading the the entire thread and explanations, I am just going to close it.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mcwop23
i wish you could preview the price difference before you sign up
Before someone responds to this, do not. They are not a vendor, and this is off topic, and we are not going to discuss them in anyways except their removal
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:19 AM
Account Disabled

this thread existing is nice for people to vent and get to see both sides of the story...It's also is the best advertising yo parts could ask for.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mellon, you nailed it with that one

FTR, i appreciate everyone discussing this like adults. Behavior like this is what allows a thread like this to stay open and be discussed.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

back to reality

There are a lot of smart and passionate people in this community. This is about laws of commerce, and the way gov't is allegedly there to maintain a level playing field and look out for Joe Public, EvoM Admins are here to do the same.

As a business owner, here are more thoughts.

Commodities are a dangerous business for one specific reason: IT'S A RACE TO THE BOTTOM
Unfortunately, the race to the bottom is ephemeral, something's got to give. Consider the giant market for knock offs - after all, what is a knock off?

Communities like ours have demand for R&D. AMS, Buschur, CBRD - these are the guys that develop good product, then we have a choice to buy direct or wait for the infamous race to the bottom where a piece is copied and eventually distributed for less. We have a choice on who to support. You may think it doesn't matter, I have a neighbor that would argue. He bought a 996tt recently and plugged a Wal-Mart DC splitter into his cig lighter which proceeded to catch on fire and destroy the car - good job buying cheap, right? No this won't happen with a pair of socks or a shift knob or an interior panel, but consider moving parts, load bearing parts, etc... Where do you want those to come from?

The race to the bottom is not sustainable and it repeatedly illustrates service degradation (hence my use of the world ephemeral).

You can buy where you want to buy from. You want cheap stock parts and you don't like your dealership, Lancershop, Yo and others are there to make life easy for you. You want performance parts, consider a portion of the margin AMS, Buschur and others sell goes into developing better parts for you - you think their R&D money falls from the sky? It's paced on sales (and more likely EBITDA and NOI which means they have to make something or they sustain in the red and go poof).

I'm not opposed to Yo and the wholesale distributor model that has already created havoc in the tire market, I am a fan of competition. But if AMS and others were to shut their doors, 2nd tier companies would have limited products to copy and we would have limited aftermarket parts to buy, knock offs and originals alike.

There is no enemy here. EvoM and vendors did what they had to do to protect your best interests and they did it quietly - I salute them for good protocol.

:end rant:

Quick Reply: YO Parts Fiasco