Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo VIII as a daily driver? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo VIII as a daily driver? Opinions?

I've got a mildly tuned evo that I mainly drive for fun and for track events. My daily driver is a ford f250.
I'm in sales and drive about 20k a year in town and on the highway, but mostly in town.
With a baby on the way, my wife says one of the two need to go, so I am considering selling my evo. The more I have thought about it though, the more I think maybe I will keep the evo. Gas prices don't matter because my employer pays for my fuel, but since I drive around by myself most of the time, a 12mpg truck is staring to make me feel a little guilty.
For those of you who drive an evo on a daily basis, could you please share your opinion, how many miles do you drive, your age, kids, etc. I know it isn't the most comfortable car to be in all day, but there are worse, and at 34 yrs old, I am still not ready to join the Malibu,Accord,Camry,Maxima crowd just yet.

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

I have 2 modified evos one bolt ons one with a 37r both daily driven they r great daily drivers in my opinion
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

I personally didn't have much luck (oil pump went out on me and ate 2 engines), but I know several locals that drive their Evos daily. Most of them have racked up 50-70K +miles in the last 2-3 years and I'm the only one that had a problem. They are reliable cars as a general rule when kept mostly stock. Before I blew the motor, I didn't hesitate to drive my then pregnant wife long distances. If you're slapping a large turbo and supporting mods on, then I would be a little more cautious.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

I've daily driven mine for 1.5 years now. Took a while to get used to stop-and-go traffic, but now I'm really comfy driving my Evo to school and back in traffic. It is nice to have the power, ready to go when you are. Definitely my most fun DD.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Mine is daily driven with 50k+ on it. It's also probably better on gas than your f250. not by much though. lol
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

I have about 24K on my 06 right now, and I daily drive M-F all year.

I am 32, I have a 2Yr old boy, with another on the way.

The baby seats cause me no shame!

I love the car, but my wife hates it, which is the only downside... She does not share my love of cars, and getting the green light on mods has been less than successful.

Every time my son says "Daddy's Evo" or "another fast!" I get a grin from ear to ear and it reminds me of how much enjoyment I get from this car.

The Evo is just fine for me.

Good luck on your decision.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Daily

I drive my Evo 40 miles per day, 5 days per week between home, work, school, etc. I love every minute of if it. I have two kids, ages 2 and 6 and they like it too. My 2 year old always askes me to rev up and my daughter gets a thrill out it. The wife hates it because of the rough ride and stiff suspension. She also hates and can't understand the Modding Addiction/Disease.

I average about 21mpg combined if I drive the speed limit and don't boost. The problem is, it's nearly impossible not to get the urge to boost. It took a bit getting used to with no radio, no power windows, and locks, but you get used to it.

It's been my daily driver for 4 years and I love it. I've had urges to buy a more practical family sedan like an Accord, but realized how boring it would be for me. I want to enjoy my ride to work and during errands. I look forward to driving it. I don't think I could get that thrill in anything else.

So as far as being practical, it suits my needs. It's got four doors, plenty of passenger and cargo space. Plus the AWD is a benefit in Minnesota. The only thing I wish Mitsu improved in my model was safety ratings and safety features.

Plenty of people use it as a Daily Driver and enjoy it. I'm sure you will too.

Last edited by Advanap1; Mar 6, 2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: .
Old Mar 6, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

i daily drive mine and i love it. Unless you are have a lot of things to haul a truck is kind of useless IMO. Might as well have fun driving all day
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love it as a DD but the harsh suspension especially if you dropped it can be a burden on long trips. The price u pay though...IMO its a 4door "everything" car
Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

i drive mine 7 days of the week ( one of the perks of having two jobs) and its great no complaints from the wife since she does have a passion for cars as well (her dad used to race ) my 2yr old also loves the fact that daddy's car is fast and she quickly picks my car over her truck when we go anywhere ....... only downside that i have personally seen is all the dumbA$$es that come up and rev on me when im coming home from a long day at work ........ seems to not happen as much now that i have put a switch to my gauges that turns off the lights when i want
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

I have always found trucks to be pretty useless unless you are a contractor or a guy who hauls trailers and heavy loads every day. I drive the Evo every day and I don't even have an audio system. She is coming up on 45k
Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:38 AM
Account Disabled

I'm on my second 8 as a daily and I've never had a problem that has stranded me anywhere. My current 05 MR has 44K on it w/ the basic boltons and it runs like a top, its had an easy life and I plan to continue treating it good so I'm sure it will be fine Just don't beat the **** out of it and you'll be good.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

get a RA this summer
Old Mar 7, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I drive mine on a daily basis too, I have my fulltime job & parttime as an independent contractor so alot of driving is involved between NYC & NJ....mine you I moved out to NJ & driving into NYC on a daily basis is NO cookie, crazy stop & go traffic....

I only have a month & change w/ my GSR 8, I fell in love when I test drove it, I feel the same way the other guys do, if I drive alot why not drive a car that's Fun to drive....

My friends laugh at me when I say driving automatic cars is Boring.....Boost keeps stress level down IMHO I have my girl's C-class when I just want to chill, she's a car fanatic too, so she doesn't care about the modding I'm going to do to my car b/c she loves to buy $1600 Prada, $700Guggi & $500LV bags which it's crazy but at the same is a female thing & buying Go-fast parts is a male thing...lol...
Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:08 AM

Thanks to all of you who posted your experience. My 2 1/2 year old son loves it also, he says "go fast daddy" and it's a lot of fun. He doesn't understand that I can't just keep going fast all of the time though.
I do use my truck a few times a week for work related hauling, but I think that I could easily use my wife's yukon sometimes when needed.

I worried about the suspension beating me, but then again, I drive an f250 so it's about the same

thanks again

Quick Reply: Evo VIII as a daily driver? Opinions?