Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Buying an EVO with a 100K. Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the is really nice shape and the price is right I would go for it. I would be really picky about signs the car has been driven hard.

I have seen some 100K car that look like a babied 30K miles and 30K mile cars that look like hard run 100K, I would rather have the higher mile car.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
111k on mine had it since 15k or something like that. No issues man maintenance goes a long way. Inspect the car the right way, drive it, and buy it. Pay it off in a year and laugh at everyone who is shelling out 500+ a month as you blast past em
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

At first my thought was no way! But... when I do think about it, I think it could be a good idea. Given the evo's reputation you would expect it to have been heavily abused. But then again, how many cars driven by the average person are actually well maintained or even not beaten on? Most people love these cars and treat them well.

If possible, I would try to speak to the previous owner. If not, it may not be a bad idea to have a lab test the oil. Buying a turbo performance car used it tricky, and an oil analysis can unlock a lot of mystery behind the car's past. if you can speak to the owner and the car feels and sounds good, then i wouldn't necessarily worry about lab work
Old Apr 7, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't consider buying it without a compression test on the cylinders. make sure you're at 140 across all four cylinders. Personally I wouldn't buy an evo with this many miles on it unless I was planning on rebuilding the engine right away. No matter how many owners might have owned this car it obviously has a lot of wear and tear on the engine. The piston rings are probably shot, the pistons are probably scored and the cylinder walls are probably scored too. Not to mention the crank bearings, etc, etc. There's a lot of things that can go on the engine and at 100K miles I'm sure the engine if you took it apart would look like ****. That doesn't mean it won't run, but honestly it's probably on it's last leg. BTW replacing the crank, pistons, and rods won't be cheap. WE're talking at least another $3,500 to have the engine rebuilt. I'd also be really concerned with the clutch condition and the transmission, transfercase and rear diff. All of which will go eventually. I bought my '03 with 15K miles on it from the original owner who left it stock, I wouldn't have had it any other way. One failure on the block and you're going to be kicking yourself, so either have it built or buy one thats got little to no miles on it. Good Luck
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mtags24
At first my thought was no way! But... when I do think about it, I think it could be a good idea. Given the evo's reputation you would expect it to have been heavily abused. But then again, how many cars driven by the average person are actually well maintained or even not beaten on? Most people love these cars and treat them well.

If possible, I would try to speak to the previous owner. If not, it may not be a bad idea to have a lab test the oil. Buying a turbo performance car used it tricky, and an oil analysis can unlock a lot of mystery behind the car's past. if you can speak to the owner and the car feels and sounds good, then i wouldn't necessarily worry about lab work
That's the ideology behind it! Buy it! Enjoy it for the summer and partial winter. Pay off. Get ready for a extensive build.

Originally Posted by sdfontanini
I wouldn't consider buying it without a compression test on the cylinders. make sure you're at 140 across all four cylinders. Personally I wouldn't buy an evo with this many miles on it unless I was planning on rebuilding the engine right away. No matter how many owners might have owned this car it obviously has a lot of wear and tear on the engine. The piston rings are probably shot, the pistons are probably scored and the cylinder walls are probably scored too. Not to mention the crank bearings, etc, etc. There's a lot of things that can go on the engine and at 100K miles I'm sure the engine if you took it apart would look like ****. That doesn't mean it won't run, but honestly it's probably on it's last leg. BTW replacing the crank, pistons, and rods won't be cheap. WE're talking at least another $3,500 to have the engine rebuilt. I'd also be really concerned with the clutch condition and the transmission, transfercase and rear diff. All of which will go eventually. I bought my '03 with 15K miles on it from the original owner who left it stock, I wouldn't have had it any other way. One failure on the block and you're going to be kicking yourself, so either have it built or buy one thats got little to no miles on it. Good Luck
Negativity Negativity! I don't have 25k to through into a mint EVO! I just would not spend that kind of money into a vehicle that has no warrenty, and that I want to tear into pieces and put back together.

Catch my drift? That's why I'm getting a bad *** daily Paying it off, then turning it into a race car.

BTW, I almost jumped into an EVO X, but then when I realized I would be paying for the car for the next 4 years. I said HELLL NO! I'd rather get a DD Bimmer for what the payment was looking like.

I'm putting 7k down on this and it covers more then half of the purchase price.

Now for the carfax.

Last edited by alexjabbar; Apr 7, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:47 PM

I say go for it man! If you are going to have it paid off in 1 year, why not!?!? I wouldnt be worried about the motor it the transfer case you need to worry about. Make sure it does not have the slightest whine. That could set you back 3K. Also the Evo is not necessarily the best daily driver especially with coilovers. Be prepared to "feel" the road.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:48 PM

He was unable to show the car today. I'm going Thursday morning!

Here are the pics he took.

Also called Pure Tuning in Ohio! Got a good idea on how much timing belt, and fluid flush would cost me.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your planning on rebuilding it I would say go for it.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:53 PM

Pics are always nice but they dont tell the real story.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by MDUBS
I say go for it man! If you are going to have it paid off in 1 year, why not!?!? I wouldnt be worried about the motor it the transfer case you need to worry about. Make sure it does not have the slightest whine. That could set you back 3K. Also the Evo is not necessarily the best daily driver especially with coilovers. Be prepared to "feel" the road.
I'm use to it. Had coilovers on my Civic. I'm a Honda guy going to Mitsu. I'm sick of the thefts, plus I was just getting sick of Honda's. I had Civics, Integras, Accords, multiples LOL. I feel like I'm in high school when I use to drive my Civic. I need to get my grown man on. I'm 22.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by MDUBS
Pics are always nice but they dont tell the real story.
Very true. You will get all my insight Thursday afternoon. When I take a in depth look at it. I just need it to take me another 40k! I'm sure it will do it. Maintain Maintain Maintain.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
http://mievo.net/talk/showthread.php?t=3039

If you want to stop by Sat. We will be meeting up in Ypsi. We can give pointers/in-outs on these cars.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bggstin
By a good price I hope you mean like 15k. If it's a decent price you could fix any major problems and have a relatively more reliable and powerful car.
good price to me came out to $12K
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Haha I like your attitude. As long as you are prepared for the worst, then it seems like a gamble that could really pay off. I would almost plan on a rebuild, but hope that wouldn't have to happen until its payed off. I think a lot of people on these boards are utter perfectionists and freak out at wear on a car. If you plan on tearing it apart sometime soon and are ready to shell out some cash later on, I say go for it!

If you know you can take the hit when things go wrong...
Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by alexjabbar
Negativity Negativity! I don't have 25k to through into a mint EVO! I just would not spend that kind of money into a vehicle that has no warrenty, and that I want to tear into pieces and put back together.
don't know what you're talking about being negative, I'm being practical. How many evos have you driven in? How many have you worked on. It's obvious you don't even know what you're getting into considering you saying it'll cost you $25K to build an evo. That's ridiculous. Like I said before I would not buy this unless you're planning on rebuilding the engine completely, along with the transmission, transfer case and rear diff. Think about all the other parts on that car that have 100K miles on it. Your axles, all your selenoid valves, your gaskets will all be on their last leg. Your rods and rod bolts are probably ready to go. And carfax isn't going to tell you if one of the previous owners had a big turbo on it or not. Carfax is a total waste of money IMO. You're gonna have to replace the clutch, rotors, and who knows what else.

Put it this way. I'm in an evo shop almost everyday and have seen probably over 40 different evos just this year. Ranging from stock evo all the way up to 500+ whp T4 setups. I've seen many, many new customers bring in their stock appearing evo only to find out it's already been built once and returned to stock appearance to sell. Even if this block never had a big turbo strapped to it, I have no doubt your cylinder walls, pistons and rods are really worn out. Honestly dude I think you're going to find out when you start building on this engine that you're going to run into more issues than you ever dreamed possible. Like I told you before the least you should do is a compression test. But if you're not going to listen to me then good luck, don't tell you I told you so a few months down the road. Best of luck buddy

Quick Reply: Buying an EVO with a 100K. Yes or no?