Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

you think the evo will hold value like the supra?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Evos hold their value pretty well. Of course you lose money when you drive it off the lot, that's with 99% of the cars out there. I remember looking at the value of my brand new 03 Sunfire ($19K list but was way cheaper with rebates), and it was at like $11K in a month. How's that for depreciation? I would have went to crap it it weren't for the "gas crises" which drove the values of 4 bangers up.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 08:50 PM

I'm 16 years old and my insurance on an Evo is only $900.00 a year. I have no idea how your paying $6000.00 a year, that's disgusting.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

no way in hell that you at age 16 has your own insurance in the state you live in paying 900 a year for an evo. you must tell me what company please. seriously.

and how can you be 16 and in this thread you say your 18?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ou-choose.html

Last edited by AviKM; Apr 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

from kbb @ 40k

Condition Value

Excellent
$22,615

Good
$21,365

Fair
$19,665
Old Apr 9, 2009, 12:33 AM
Evolving Member

i dont think they will unless they stop making them next year or in the near future. thats my 2 cents

Last edited by dabeast; Apr 9, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Its a different market than when the Supra's exploded in price. In the late 90's Supra were only known in small group about its potential, the fast import scene had not exploded yet and neither really had the internet. (I was on the Supras mailing list, this was before forums took off).

Contrary to popular opinion initial Supra resale value sucked, the early models had 50%+ deprecaition in 3 years, 93-96 Supra had sticker prices in the high 40's to low 50's. Toyota killed the resale value of the older MKIV in 97 when they dropped the sticker price 12K to $40K, some of the owners were pissed when Toyota did that. In 98, I could buy a low mile mint 6 speed 94/95 Supra for under $25K, (even then their was a premium for 6 speeds.) 94/95Auto's low 20's/high teens. I remember a half dozen guys in early 98 getting together a group purchase with a dealer auction license and picking up half dozen Supra auto for $13-15K. The 97 & 98 owner did luck out because before their car took a huge hit, the prices exploded. High 20's is probably what the 97 6 Speeds were worth in 99 (this was probably their low point). Yes these were are all TT's, I didn't pay attention to the non turbo pricing.

As their repuatation grew in 1999 & 2000 prices slow moved up, and they exploded by time the inital F&F came out.

Evo's have faired better than Supra's so far, but IMO Evo's price will more follow the other 90's rice rocket's.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ModenaTwinTurbo
people like YOU lower the value of these cars. you'd never see a supra enthusiast speaking this way about a supra.
Eddie Rosado
Well said, sir.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:03 AM

A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

To say that the evo will be one way or the other, as far as slow vs. normal depreciation, I think is a mistake. It's just too early to tell. It might be semi-slow right now, but completely fall out in 2 years, or possibly the opposite.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

you shouldn't buy something like this as an investment.. A car is rarely anything more than an expense unless you bought something for silly cheap and plan to flip it for a profit.. they cost money to operate, they cost money to own. If the supra hadn't become a cult icon, they wouldn't be worth anything now.
I don't see Evo's tanking in value like the 1 and 2g dsm's, where one could find a 6 year old example for under 6k in really good shape, and the beat to hell ones for 1k or less, but don't expect the average resale on your Evo to go up in a couple of years simply because its an evo.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Who buys a car under the false guise that it will be worth something in a few years?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by linuxman51
I don't see Evo's tanking in value like the 1 and 2g dsm's, where one could find a 6 year old example for under 6k in really good shape, and the beat to hell ones for 1k or less, but don't expect the average resale on your Evo to go up in a couple of years simply because its an evo.
Ummm, there is no such thing as a 6year old 1g or 2g, the last model year was 1999. And a clean Galant VR-4, GSX holds its value very well. GS-Ts a bit further, but not bad.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ModenaTwinTurbo
people like YOU lower the value of these cars. you'd never see a supra enthusiast speaking this way about a supra.

value is determined by supply and demand. how ever in this situation there's another factor, being the willingness of an owner to lower the price to see the car go. most owners refuse to give up their evos for free particularly if they are evo ix's. and about the SE'S trash talk, dude really? i mean they are only the evo ix's with the highest demand. speak with facts not just your OPINION when addressing a question of value.

its up to the owners if they will hold value or not, by holding them for a firm price, and not letting the 18 year olds trash talking the price of every for sale thread that an evo is posted on because they cant afford it.
One person isn't lowering the value of these cars. The Supra market I am sure has a very similliar demographic of owners (I don't mean to insult anyone) and their fair share of budget minded graduated ricers. Every market has low ballers.

Ultimately, your right that a car will only selling for a price seller and buyer are willing to agree. If your not willing to sell your car for higher offer because its worth more to you then that; it will not be sold.

Don't take this personally, I am not singling you out, I just using you as an example. I know your 'selling' your Evo, but by holding to 24k price isn't going to raise the prices up to your level. Your not going to be able to convince all dealers and private parties to hold to high prices. Even a few people isn't going to make a difference. Their clearly isn't the support for 40K mile Evo to sell at that price at this moment. The other 40K mile Evo's selling for 20-21K aren't exactly selling either and your price is above some of the 10 & 15K mile IX which also aren't selling either. Their isn't the demand and even the 'low ballers' don't seeming to be support a low floor either.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
One person isn't lowering the value of these cars. The Supra market I am sure has a very similliar demographic of owners (I don't mean to insult anyone) and their fair share of budget minded graduated ricers. Every market has low ballers.
Of course, you are right. But the Evo has far more of them. It is the "new" thing and its in the mix, or more mainstream then the Supra which before F&F and to some extent after, which is a more exclusive club. A lot of people want something new and different, the latest thing, so the Evo, *I think* attracts more of these impatient unrealistic types who get tired of things quickly and move on to the next new thing when it comes out. These are the people who buy a car, dump 10-15K into it, get mad if it doesn't make them famous, or doesn't run 8's the first time out and expect to get all their money back when they trade or sell (trade most likely as they normally don't have the patience to retail) And get mad when a dealer only gives them rough wholesale value for their modded/hacked up car. Then they'll compare the wholesale value they got for it to how much they bought it for plus how much they spent modding it and say "this car sucks, I lost X amount of dollars on it."

Very few Supra owners left are original owners, so not many can tell you about losing 25K on trade in back in like 96-00 or so. All those people that paid 40-50K new retail were most likely doctors, lawyers, etc who didn't mod the cars at all. The car has pretty much hung around 25K for a clean used example for quite a while, so even if you decide to get out, you don't get hurt that much.

Last edited by GPTourer; Apr 9, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoPhenomenon
I'm 16 years old and my insurance on an Evo is only $900.00 a year. I have no idea how your paying $6000.00 a year, that's disgusting.
yours is either not on your name, or its paid in full and you dont have full coverage. other reason has to be that your not in this country lol. thats really really low. i'm 24, damn near spot less record, i do live in ct and had gap in coverage wich set me back to zero for time insured and i pay 280/mo.

Eddie Rosado
Old Apr 9, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Low mileage, stock(ish) Evos hold their value very well. High mileage, modified evos don't hold value well at all.

This applies more for private sale than it does for trade ins. Private buyers will pay a pretty penny for a nearly stock low mileage evo. I know I will in two years when insurance won't destroy me

Quick Reply: you think the evo will hold value like the supra?