Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Need advice from evom.net! 06 Evo 9 SE.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice from evom.net! 06 Evo 9 SE.

Hey guys,

So im caught up on the Evo9/07Sti deal... just like everyone else. I have read alot of things. Seems like they all have their problems, evo and their trannys, stis and their motors...

Well, I am currently looking at a 2006 Evo 9 SE with 18k miles at a mitsu dealer. Has slight mods, MAF and IC piping. How bad are these trannys as people talk about? Do they go out THAT easily? Like, how much power/mis shifts does it take to break a tranny?

They are asking for 25k, its in Irving TX at Don Herring.. What do you guys think? Link is below, with pics!

CLICK HERE

Thanks in advanced! I also have searched around both Evom/Nasioc. But still want advice from everyone thats willing to give advice.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:52 PM

Get it checked out first, but that's a friggin' good deal. I paid 26 for a IX SE with 29,000 miles..
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, what he said.

Test drive too, make sure it shifts smooth. 5 speeds are stronger.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

get it the IX SE last and best evo ever made
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah i have read that the 5 speeds are stronger, but i have heard some people saying that they are still fragile, but not as bad as the reg. WRX's..but is the MAF/IC piping a mod is should stay away from? Or does it really not matter..im not very familiar with the "MAF" mod.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

I was about to buy a Evo X at Don Irving, I love those guys. If you talk to the boss he is an Evo fanatic. He's got pictures all over the wall in his office.

I used to be Active Duty Army, and I would drive there from Fort Hood to Irving just for an oil change. (3 Hour Drive)

Have you checked out their Buschur Evo X yet? Its covered by Mitsu warranty with the Buschur parts. =P

And just for reference, I bought my Evo IX with 26k Miles for $29,000+TTL back in 2007. So right now, you are getting a god damn steal. If you dont get it, someone else will.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

go for the evo
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The Evo trannies in reality take a TON of abuse as long as you know how to drive. Its a piece of machinery so if you abuse the hell out of it with no care in the world (like a lot of people do) parts will fail and break, if you treat it as it should be treated it will hold up to a lot of power and last for a long time.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Good deal
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:08 PM

Sty?
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

I also have a IX SE and love it. I test drove both the STI and the Evo and the Evo felt much better to me. I got mine about a year and a half ago with 12K miles on it and now it has about 40K. I'm putting down 322 WHP so it is over stock and the tranny is just fine. Remember the evo is an out of the box race car not something like a KIA. If you drive it like a sports car is supposed to be driven and I don't mean driving fast. What I mean is driving and shifting correctly then you shouldn't have any problems. If you treat her the way she is supposed to be treated she will give you the ride of your life. And like the others said, test drive it so you will know if someone else abused it.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
The Evo trannies in reality take a TON of abuse as long as you know how to drive. Its a piece of machinery so if you abuse the hell out of it with no care in the world (like a lot of people do) parts will fail and break, if you treat it as it should be treated it will hold up to a lot of power and last for a long time.
+1. Its like any thing else take care of it and it will take care of you!
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:40 AM

im sure you can haggle them down another $2 - $3k depending on how much interest that car has generated....
Old Jul 31, 2009, 07:44 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yah 26k is kinda high. You can get brand new 2008 X GSRs for 28k right now.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:54 AM

Typically the STi is considered a better daily driver, but I think that the Evo IX is easily the best daily driver as far as the evolutions go.

That is a really good deal if the car is clean, get a compression test (always a smart move on a turbo car in my opinion).

Evos are rarer around my area which I like, and they are nicer looking in my opinion. Put an Evo IX Se next to an STI and the STI looks like a matchbox car. My good friend has an STI and he always talks about how awesome he thinks my car looks and feels.

They all get jealous of the sick recaros with red stiching too.

Quick Reply: Need advice from evom.net! 06 Evo 9 SE.