Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Newbie trying to get either an Evo X GSR or Evo IX MR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie trying to get either an Evo X GSR or Evo IX MR

Ok I'm trying to get a new car. Im currently driving a Toyota MR-S with a 2zz swap. Im having a hard time getting it to pass smog. My wife's been bugging me a lot of its lack of room for groceries or extra passengers since it's only a two seater. To cut the story short, we compromised on getting either an Evo X or Subaru Sti (2010). Now if I do go get an Evo X what's a good out the door price I should haggle for? I found a 2008 Evo X here in SoCal and came across another idea, why not have Evo IX MR as an option as well? I did some research and supposedly Evo IX outperforms Evo X is this true? Can you please give me Pros and Cons, and price for each of them and I know Im not gonna be able to get a IX brand new so what would be a good used price for that as well? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Well there are no brand new IX's. They were from 06. If you did get a IX, I'd get the RS or the "GSR", not the MR. The MR is just more expensive for a few little things (springs, roof, wheels, 6spd).

I'd get a regular used IX before I got an X, but that's my opinion. The X is more luxurious (probably better for family car). The IX is more a race-ready, rally/street machine that's fun to drive. Yes, it outperforms the X.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by JakeTheVIII
Well there are no brand new IX's. They were from 06. If you did get a IX, I'd get the RS or the "GSR", not the MR. The MR is just more expensive for a few little things (springs, roof, wheels, 6spd).

I'd get a regular used IX before I got an X, but that's my opinion. The X is more luxurious (probably better for family car). The IX is more a race-ready, rally/street machine that's fun to drive. Yes, it outperforms the X.
Thanks. I saw a used MR near my place for right around 25k its has 57k miles on it. You think that's a good price? How does the IX outperforms the X btw?
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hoobavent
Thanks. I saw a used MR near my place for right around 25k its has 57k miles on it. You think that's a good price? How does the IX outperforms the X btw?
if your gonna pay 25k for a car with 75k on it...why not just spring for and extra ten thousand and buy a X GSR? I was in your boat too..that why I went with a X..I loved having my VIII but the keep there value so much it doesn't make sense to buy used.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

no thats not a good price.

i'd look into rs or gsr's if i were you...
Old Sep 11, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't recommend the IX MR unless you are the first owner. The Tranny is week, and if the person before you was hard on it it could have issues. Also Sometimes you catch Flack from the Dealership if there are mods on the car, so unless it's fairly stock it's not that family practical. In Addition it's a fairly unsafe car, it barely passes the crash saftey rating's for the US. No side airbags, etc........ I own one am the first owner, I love it but rarely drive it unless it's to the track. The IX is quicker than the X, due to it being lighter

The IX does not out perform the X, unless your speaking about top speed, and acceleration. Don't Quote me on this......... But the X has much better stock track times, as well as a higher skid pad rating, and the Traction control system has un-rivaled handling characteristics, great for all weather. The Saftey rating is much higher on the X which makes it more practical as a family car, especially if you have small children. The only downside I've experienced, is all the little issues and the smaller trunk.

I have alot of EVO experience, I've owned all three, and for a daily, fun, quick, practical car the X wins hands down. As far as ***** to the walls, fun, a track car the IX.

Don't misunderstand my review I love and own both but I recommend the X to all new EVO owners looking for a Daily driver. If your looking to make a race car then the IX would be the way to go. Within a few years as the parts come out for the X I believe it will be great to mod.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

No, that's not a good price. I just got an 03 evo 8 with 45k miles for 14k. A IX with similar mileage should be roughly a few thousand (3-4) more than that. I wouldn't pay more than $20,000 for a used IX (stock-ish).

I agree with Jose above, I'd look for an RS or a GSR. The MR is more money for no more car really.

Then, I agree with D420Mac about the X being more of a reliable, family-going, safer car.

I meant that the IX "outperforms" the X in terms of speed, acceleration, it's lighter, etc.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:23 AM

Thanks so much for the advice and replies. So far Im leaning towards getting an X since it will be brand new and stock, rather than get a used one which may have hidden problems on the long run. But then again if I find a IX for a price around 18k like JakeTheVIII says it has to be as close to stock as possible.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

your going to love the X go and test drive one, you'll love it!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a 06 ix se and I love it. I have driven my friends 08 evox gsr and it was nice too. I found my evo with 5400 miles on it from a dealer so there are still ix's with low mileage on them you just have to do your research and find them. I paid 24.5 for mine and I dont regret it at all. The car came completely stock with no interior or exterior changes. It's very nice for driving around 4 full sized adults, they all fit very comfortable. I also have little cousins that I drive to place to place and its comfortable for them too. Both cars have their pro's and con's. Either way your getting a good car. If you look at the performance aspect, the evo ix would be my choice mainly because its been out longer and all the products out are cheaper and better performance wise compared to the evo x.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 06:26 PM

Im a little torn between choosing a X or a IX. I'm gonna try to get a X just coz it would be brand new though payments on that would be higher for me. In contrast getting an Evo IX or even VIII would be ok since that would put me in a lower total value hence lower monthly payments. What's holding me back on going this route is that these used Evos might give me problems after a few miles driving it. I really appreciate your suggestions. Im beggining to like this forum more. Thanks again.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

hell no dont pay that much for an MR with that many miles on it...Like many have said man get a RS or GSR SE SSL but no an MR...You will have more room in an EVO X but price wise you can find a 9 for litteraly half the price of a X bro..
Old Sep 11, 2009, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Im a little torn between choosing a X or a IX. I'm gonna try to get a X just coz it would be brand new though payments on that would be higher for me. In contrast getting an Evo IX or even VIII would be ok since that would put me in a lower total value hence lower monthly payments. What's holding me back on going this route is that these used Evos might give me problems after a few miles driving it. I really appreciate your suggestions. Im beggining to like this forum more. Thanks again.

I wouldnt worry about getting a used evo 8/9 with low miles like under 50k thats stockish minor mods like BOV/LICP/IC/TBE/intake breaking down or giving you problems...I bought mine used with 20k for 20K and have never had 1 single isue with it other than im 6 feet 4 inches tall and 230 lbs so the seats dont fit me that well but what would i expect you know lol...
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:06 PM

Cool, I guess Ill keep Evo IX as one of my options then. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by D420mac
I wouldn't recommend the IX MR unless you are the first owner. The Tranny is week, and if the person before you was hard on it it could have issues. Also Sometimes you catch Flack from the Dealership if there are mods on the car, so unless it's fairly stock it's not that family practical. In Addition it's a fairly unsafe car, it barely passes the crash saftey rating's for the US. No side airbags, etc........ I own one am the first owner, I love it but rarely drive it unless it's to the track. The IX is quicker than the X, due to it being lighter

The IX does not out perform the X, unless your speaking about top speed, and acceleration. Don't Quote me on this......... But the X has much better stock track times, as well as a higher skid pad rating, and the Traction control system has un-rivaled handling characteristics, great for all weather. The Saftey rating is much higher on the X which makes it more practical as a family car, especially if you have small children. The only downside I've experienced, is all the little issues and the smaller trunk.

I have alot of EVO experience, I've owned all three, and for a daily, fun, quick, practical car the X wins hands down. As far as ***** to the walls, fun, a track car the IX.

Don't misunderstand my review I love and own both but I recommend the X to all new EVO owners looking for a Daily driver. If your looking to make a race car then the IX would be the way to go. Within a few years as the parts come out for the X I believe it will be great to mod.
I agree with everything cept the last part (partially).

The X is a great car to mod. Sure, there aren't as many parts available to mod them, but AMS has got their's up to 675whp. The untapped power in these engines is incredible to say the least. With just a tune alone you're looking at 80whp.

I've owned an VIII and a X MR now. I loved my VIII, it taught me a lot. But it was anything but a daily driver. No cruise control, a lot of rattles, louder, parts wear crazy on them and they get "DSM syndrome". It was a great car, but I'm head over heels in love with my X.

The handling between the two (and the VIII had a LSD diff), is night and day. Top speed in them is night and day. Doing 130 in the MR is like doing 90 in the VIII as far as handling and smoothness.

I'm not sure I call either a family car though. There isn't any room for stuff in the trunk. Maybe you should look at the sportsback ralliart

Quick Reply: Newbie trying to get either an Evo X GSR or Evo IX MR