Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

introduction

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
introduction

I'm new here. I'm an old fart (63 and retired). I just signed on to buy an old fart's Evo, the 2010 MR-T, I will pay for it and take delivery this Friday if I don't change my mind before then.

I test drove the BMW 135, 335i, & M3; Cadillac CTS; Subi wrx; 2009 VW GTI & 2008 R32; Mitsu Ralliart Sportback; Chevy Cobalt SS; Mazda speed 3; Pontiac G8 (ls3) and drooled over the CTS-V and GT-R (test drive not allowed) before deciding on the MR-T. Why MR-T? I like the leather, the extra sound deadening, the DCT, and the lack of a wing. The wing is probably useful on the track and I may buy an extra trunk lid w/wing just for the occasional track day but it is pretty useless on a DD (imo,) it is just a cosmetic that screams "boy racer" to those who know not what the EVO is.

I own a stock 2002 Honda S2000 and a highly modified 1994 Monster Miata V8 (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtrORSLzoOk and http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2379693) and I recently sold an 11 sec Neon SRT-4 stage 3r so more hardcore cars I need not but I'm still not into boring so the MR-T fits the bill, I would have chosen the BMW 135 over the MR if the touring were not offered.
Paul

Last edited by kmart888; Jan 18, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Nice choice on the evo, and that miata is badass. Welcome.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:28 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new purchase! Nice list of cars you've owned.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome! Nice choice on the MR-T. That is my dream car, but no $$$$ at present.

Nice Monster! Always wanted one of those. The closest I ever got was a turbo Miata named Sleepy.

BTW, I'm 58. Several older 'gentlemen' on this forum. You are correct, the wing seems to be an age specific item. The first mod to my VIII was a wingectomy. Wingless FTW!

Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

any exciting vids of the beast in action?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:40 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
BTW, I'm 58. Several older 'gentlemen' on this forum. You are correct, the wing seems to be an age specific item. The first mod to my VIII was a wingectomy. Wingless FTW!
<grin> Does this mean I'll want to lose the wing in 10 years?

Admittedly, I loved my wingless RS. I bought it, in part, because it didn't have a wing. I took the wing off my SE for a time, as well. Then I figured, would I remove the ducktail spoiler from a '75 Carrera, or the two-tier park bench from a Cosworth RS? Of course not. So, now, I proudly sport the wing and enjoy every minute of it.

OP, welcome to the forum!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome Miata... what transmission? I was looking into going that same 5.0 route years ago. This time around, after having the Evo, I might ditch the Miata for an VIII.

Are you still planning on swapping the 5.0 for an LS1?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome Paul! It sounds like we've cross-shopped a few of the same cars. Ideally I'm driving a "pre-owned" '09 CTS-V by the summer but the MR Touring keeps popping into my head. Initially I was so disappointed with the X when it came out because of the curb weight but I've come around a little and I really need those creature comforts like integrated blue-tooth and navigation for work. How would you classify the in-cabin noise on the car? That will be a huge factor in my decision.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Frankiago
Awesome Miata... what transmission? ...
Ford AOD (4 speed Automatic) with full manual valve body, no automatic shift at all. I would have stuck with the 5 speed (T5) if I could have got it to shift right at the drag strip but I had the AOD sitting in the shop so I tried it and now I kind of like it.

Originally Posted by Frankiago
....Are you still planning on swapping the 5.0 for an LS1?
Yeah, with a stock T6 or Tremic transmission, but the thought of getting a new combo certified by the Calif smog referee is off-putting.

Thank you for your interest

Paul
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Steiner
Welcome Paul! It sounds like we've cross-shopped a few of the same cars. Ideally I'm driving a "pre-owned" '09 CTS-V by the summer but the MR Touring keeps popping into my head. Initially I was so disappointed with the X when it came out because of the curb weight but I've come around a little and I really need those creature comforts like integrated blue-tooth and navigation for work. How would you classify the in-cabin noise on the car? That will be a huge factor in my decision.
Good luck! I really like the V6 CTS and can only imagine what the CTS-V (no test drive) is like, good choice! (we are on the same wave length here) I cannot give a any opinion (yet) on the MR-T "in cabin noise" level as I do not take delivery 'till tomorrow or Saturday, although coming from my background of cars anything will seem quiet, if I can hear the radio at 80 it will be an improvement.

Thanx, Paul
Old Jan 21, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
<grin> Does this mean I'll want to lose the wing in 10 years? ...
Yeah, when you grow up! Just kidding, your point is well taken and I actually agree with you! I would not touch the duckbill spoiler on a 75 Carrera, or for that matter the duckbill on my MegaMonster Miata (not familiar with the Cosworth RS), however, I would not consider either car for a daily driver. To me the VIII, IX, & X MR wing just looks like some teenagers hand me down Honda with a non functional Pep Boys wing stuck on the back to "look racy" sorry. (ducking arrows)

I took a close look at the X MR wing yesterday and any functional down force offered by that wing is dubious at best (ducking more arrows)

Here in Los Angeles I see the occasional sedan with a huge adjustable wing set to a negative angle of attack, it would actually provide LIFT at speed! I want to distance myself from these folk.

There, I feel better now, Paul
Attached Thumbnails introduction-ffb282a8-925e-40be-8f2e-5f6b4a7f2021-p9090002.jpg  
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up First impression

I choose, after much research, to break the car in fast, if I'm wrong then I will pay the consequences. My first drive was up the coast (hwy 1) from Los Angeles to San Francisco. The roads in the Big Sur area were damp and dirty in spots, I set ASC to gravel and proceeded to push the car a bit, the MR was absolutely stable and never once did I feel out of control (and I'm a "point and shoot" kind of guy in a RWD car who is frequently on the border of losing control). The car allows such high corner entry speed that it promotes smooth driving with little use of the brakes or throttle, very safe, confidence inspiring, and fast.

I was able to see 24mpg combined city and hwy when I drove super conservative and the worst I got was 18mpg when I was having fun.

As for the in-cabin noise that "Steiner" asked about (it is really hard for me to compare to other cars that I have only briefly test driven); the cabin is quiet at 80mph with only the slightest wind noise that I can only notice if I concentrate on listening for it, absolutely NO squeaks or rattles, the motor noise is just a whisper at cruise and is muted at WFO to the point where I must watch the tach to prevented bouncing off the rev limiter in manual shift mode, some road noise is occasionally obtrusive over certain road surfaces (rough abrasive tarmac, slapping noise over parallel tar strips) but I attribute that to the OEM Yokahama tires that compromise noise and comfort in favor of grip and turn in response (I may try the Dunlop *Spec next tire change). The ride is refined and very BMW like but I feel the occasionally porposing over highway seams if they (the seams) are just the right spacing to set up a harmonic oscillation with the MR-T 's wheelbase. All in all the car is on par with the CTS, BMW 135 and M3 and just a tick below the BMW 335i (in comfort) I briefly tested; If the 335i was a 10, the MR-T would rate a 9.5.

Paul

Last edited by kmart888; Jan 30, 2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Welcome, glad to see you're having fun,fun,fun. Be safe and enjoy
Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

While I cannot speak on the X, I have driven the same Evo winged and wingless and the same S2000 winged and wingless, both on track and off track. And the APR wing we had on the S2000 (a nice track wing, in short) and the Evo VIII stock wing definitely makes/made a huge difference in both.

I know for a fact that in the same s2000, same set up, same tires, wingless a certain sweeper on Spring Mountain was about 90 mph with the rear tires begging to get loose... Same sweeper comfortably 120 mph with the APR wing.

I know it isn't your track car, but I'm just saying. It can and does make a pretty big difference, but the X wing does seem (purely based on looks, I'm no physicist) a little less functional.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kmart888
...As for the in-cabin noise that "Steiner" asked about (it is really hard for me to compare to other cars that I have only briefly test driven); the cabin is quiet at 80mph with only the slightest wind noise that I can only notice if I concentrate on listening for it, absolutely NO squeaks or rattles, the motor noise is just a whisper at cruise and is muted at WFO to the point where I must watch the tach to prevented bouncing off the rev limiter in manual shift mode, some road noise is occasionally obtrusive over certain road surfaces (rough abrasive tarmac, slapping noise over parallel tar strips) but I attribute that to the OEM Yokahama tires that compromise noise and comfort in favor of grip and turn in response (I may try the Dunlop *Spec next tire change). The ride is refined and very BMW like but I feel the occasionally porposing over highway seams if they (the seams) are just the right spacing to set up a harmonic oscillation with the MR-T 's wheelbase. All in all the car is on par with the CTS, BMW 135 and M3 and just a tick below the BMW 335i (in comfort) I briefly tested; If the 335i was a 10, the MR-T would rate a 9.5.
Paul
Great stuff. Thank you very much! How about some of the other creature comforts like the rain sensing wipers, heated seats, navigation, etc. Were they adequate?

Quick Reply: introduction