Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo IX vs. E46 M3 -- Used Car Fun

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD for the winter > RWD

The evo has more space, is easier to get more power out off and is cheaper to fix when broken.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

if you see an M3 as a "dream car" you might regret buying an Evo instead
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:20 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jamdown
awd for the winter > rwd

the evo has more space, is easier to get more power out off and is cheaper to fix when broken.
orly?

Last edited by chu; Feb 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Buy an M3 when it's near the bottom of your price range so you can afford the "post-purchase" costs of it. Mods will be 2-3x more expensive, as will maintenance and repair.

Otherwise, buy an Evo, put $1-2K into mods, and be pushing 340whp instead of the M3's (stock) 340bhp.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:22 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Why do people keep making it look like M3s have so much more problems compared to an Evo? There are so many Evos bought from the dealership that has a ton of problems. Our cars aren't problem free guys, get real. And Evo 9s are still in the 20k range, so its still not cheap by any means.

Be honest, how many of you really have owned and worked on M3s?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:32 AM

I'd get the m3 a friend has a 9 and that thing is one of the fastest cars in town and another has the m3 and that thing he put a few things into and is really fast too. In the m3 you'll get pulled over a lot less when going fast and doing stupid **** from my experiences lol
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by iseedipp
well it all depends, i've owned and aggressively driven both stock and modded with track time on my 02 SMGII M3.

m3 pros
looks, comfort, luxury, cheaper to insure, when i had my m3 i would away from stock evo's (8/9) especially top end, not as much dirty looks from police, it's easier to find a nice e46 m3 than a non beat on ix

evo ix pros
easier to make fast/ handle better, can use in all seasons, maintenance, fuel should be just a tad bit cheaper if you aren't always in boost, oil changes

All in all when i bought my m3 about three years ago i paid about 40kish and i wish i would've gotten a new ix and put the rest into mods

forums for the m3 that i would check out. www.m3forum.com and www.e46fanatics.com
How is an M3 cheaper to insure? My evo is way cheaper than the price they quoted me for the beamer
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO Nate
How is an M3 cheaper to insure? My evo is way cheaper than the price they quoted me for the beamer
The guy didn't mention anything about insurance in his post.

I've owned two Evo IXs and driven E46 M3s a few times. They're definitely fun cars, but I don't really have a desire to own one of those, though the current one is a different story.

As a side note, a classmate of my brother's during their MBA days had an M3 that he took care of religiously and never tracked, and it randomly caught on fire when finally arriving at their destination after a 45-mile trip:

Just some food for thought. Cars breaking parts due to abuse (whether heavy track duty or more hp than certain stock parts can endure) is one thing, though engines catching on fire randomly after short trips is absurd.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:59 AM
chu
Evolved Member

^^^Do you recall how many of these cases happened? While I have little knowledge of BMWs, I don't remember seeing a massive recall for sudden engine fires.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:03 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO Nate
...the beamer
[OT] A beamer is a BMW motorcycle, and a bimmer is a BMW automobile. Note the difference. [/OT]
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
^^^Do you recall how many of these cases happened? While I have little knowledge of BMWs, I don't remember seeing a massive recall for sudden engine fires.
I'm not saying that things like that were guaranteed to happen or more likely. I was just pointing out one instance of a personal friend's own M3 randomly catching on fire after what was a quiet drive to his wife's family's Thanksgiving gathering. Again, it was some food for thought.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:23 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Just to balance things out. An extraordinary amount of Evo owners, especially those with 03/04 models have complained of the Brembos paint pealing. Brembo admitted the problem. Mitsubishi still wont warrantee the problem, even though it is a huge issue, nd yet blame some owners for possibly using non-oem parts, etc.

BMW fire = big problem, but not repetitive
Evo paint peel = small problem, large repetitive scale.

hmm, some food for thought? Not to mention clutches lasting less than 30k, and even some dealers not recommending people to use OEM clutches?

Deeznut, I'm not against you or anything. Just trying to put some realities for some people who seem to think the Evo is the best thing ever made.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

On the flip side, while it's not a good thing, caliper paint peeling is not a huge thing to cry about, though some dealerships actually did do warranty work for them. An engine catching on fire after driving at freeway speeds is a pretty big deal.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:37 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Did BMW warrantee that car btw? Looks horrible!

In response to the post though, yes brake peel is a not a huge problem, per say. But do you feel the same way if you have 30k to buy the car, and that happens a few months later?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chu
Did BMW warrantee that car btw? Looks horrible!
I'm not sure. It belonged to my brother's classmate from their MBA program as I stated, and I hadn't talked to him in months and randomly messaged him today asking about how his car was doing, and he e-mailed me a bunch of pictures. Due to his line of work, he can't really talk much until after the market hours, so he just sent me the pictures and said he would update me later on today.

Originally Posted by chu
In response to the post though, yes brake peel is a not a huge problem, per say. But do you feel the same way if you have 30k to buy the car, and that happens a few months later?
You're absolutely correct, I would be upset. (Thankfully, neither of my Evos had those issues.) But bringing up this issue found in older models as a response to the engine fire was a bit random, haha. But I get it.

Quick Reply: Evo IX vs. E46 M3 -- Used Car Fun