Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Evo reliability?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo reliability?

I have read the stick thread about Evo facts and reliability, and I do not want to sound like an idiot, I just have a few questions about Evos.
I currently own a 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi and I am getting some money in a few months from an inheritance of a dead relative. I am looking to spend about 12-15k for an Evo. I am looking for an all stock one, but would accept a lightly modded one. I own a DSM, i'm sure most of you know about their reliability issues. I am really looking for a car that I can trust to go on 1000 mile trips if need be. I would never attempt that in my Talon. I realize that all cars will work good with maintance and I plan to keep up maintance on the Evo I get, I am just wondering if Evos are reliable for trips like that, if they are a car trust worthy for things like that. I am just looking for a DD, not a 600hp monster. Something for college this summer and when I get a job after college to keep it. How reliable are these cars if maintained corectly?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

80k on mine and no issues yet, aside from needing to turn the rotors once, which is trivial.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:00 PM

Well that's good. I'd be buying one with about 60kish miles
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

almost 87k on mine and no repairs aside from general maintenance..
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
let me tell you a story about my evo then since your worried.

I live in Louisiana I wanted a evo got a steal deal on one in Philly(ebay) so i flew up there signed the paper etc. The dealer(toyota dealer) did not know anything about them and just put a price on it to get it off the lot. They told me to put 87 oct in it and it will be fine. Now this is before i found this website and i did not read up on evos i just knew I wanted one. Of course I begin my LONG drive home. yes thats a 1400 mile trip in a used evo with 47k miles boss. Now turns out the evo had some issues with it that i did not know about let me list them

Missing several several exhaust, 02 housing bolts
only had one spring bolt on downpipe
Cat was only held on by one bolt
exhuast manifold had cracks in it and a bolt sticking up causing exhaust and boost leak
several small boost leaks from clamps not being tighten
Dented Intercooler with a small hole in it
Exedy twin clutch that needed minor rebuild(disc had life at time and i did not know car had one installed)
slightly cracked OEM head

Now all that plus me filling up a evo with gods knows what tune on it with 87 oct till I got to Georgia Alanta and saw on the door lid 93 only. LOL man i felt stupid i rolled 798 miles like that. This was before i knew of the stuff listed above car still boosted to 15psi and stopped of course I did not have a boost guage at the time but i felt the turbo kicking in. I slept over in alanta at friends house then headed another 700 miles this time using 93 octane to the house. Next day I took it to Mitsu dealer(no evo shops here) and they told me about the other issues.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO if a evo in that condition could make it that far what does that say about the EVO

Last edited by RockmanX; Jan 22, 2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:49 PM

Hey buddy, thanks for that. See, if it was my Talon one little problem would ruin it. I'm car smart, but Evo dumb. I am glad to know they can handle issues and still run! I would of course put 93 in it, and check all simple things before I buy it, but I greaty appreciate that. Gives me a way better perspective of the car.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

I have put over 60k on my built 97 dsm with 531 pump/meth drove it everywhere, let me down once in 7 years of beatings! My evo put down 580 on e85, I don't baby it and wouldn't hesitate to drive it anywhere! Semi conservative tune and maintenence is key in my book! Good luck with the new toy!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:53 PM

My DSM broke 3 times in one month, and after the 3d time I decided to get something new, a week later I found out about this money and Evo was the first thing that came to mind. I will be taking very good care of my Evo, and I will maintain it like I would anything else I deeply care about!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:35 PM

bump for more stories
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my Evo since last August. The only trouble I've had with it was shotty parts installed from the previous owner. (cheap manifold gaskets, bov, tune etc.).

Don't be cheap, treat it like a lady and you might get some.. unless you get married and have kids, then you are pretty sh*t out of luck... anyways have fun with it
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks buddy. Everyone on this site is so much niced and understanding that on my DSM sites. I feel home already. Can't wait to get mine!
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont want to seem all high and mighty but I believe we are in a different age bracket than DSM peeps. Because of the income needed to maintain and modify these cars are more demanding, your average 16 year old pizza delivery kid working off minimum wage isn't going to have a $25,000 Evo. So you tend to be talking to grown adults.

Not saying all dsm owners are kids or immature. Just want to cover my bases there. Thats my theory anyways.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:20 PM

I understand where your coming from. I can afford to maintain mine, I am just looking for something a little more reliable. And a lot of the DSMers I know own built 10-9 second dsms, so when it comes to daily driving they don't have an Evo or DSM. I want a street leagl fun handling car. Evo seems to be the right choice.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

From how you describe it, the Evo is a great choice. One of the main things is switching out oils/fluids as regular as clockwork. I do all my own fluid changes and it's still running great at 90K miles. P.S. I recommend AMSOil products.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 07:44 AM

If you do the oil change on time and do tuneup time to time, the car is going to last you a long time.

Quick Reply: Evo reliability?