Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

07 wrx possibly to evo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:42 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by problemed
that lie would be i have always been told evos are horrible for daily driving every day and that its really hard on them.
But this has also been told to me by the guys in my local subaru club..
They aren't any more hard to DD than a subbie. The engines are strong, the drivetrain is more or less the same. I mean the VIIIs and IXs don't have some things like cruise control. That's the only thing I miss in an VIII / IX.

Originally Posted by Kracka
It's varied over the years, but my current commute is 16 miles one-way (I've had both my IX and X for this one). My IX was great in traffic up until big cams + lightweight flywheel so I will not be doing either of those mods to my X.

I average 18-20k miles per year.
ahh lightweight flywheels affect drivability? I wasn't aware.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
ahh lightweight flywheels affect drivability? I wasn't aware.
Especially with a grabby clutch, the engine has less inertia so it's easier to stall or be jerky. Fine for everything but stop n go traffic though.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:52 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Good to know.

Back on track... just make sure you dig deep and buy directly from an owner if you're going to buy used. Some evos have been driven into the ground. It's best to know what kind of person owns the care and how they treated it. Research mods that may come on the car and if they are good or bad. Check the tcase fluid and make sure it isn't burnt and a ton of metal in it. Hope this helps man.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys and my commute is only 11 miles one way so it shouldn't be too bad then. My current subbie has a light flywheel and makes it very hard for traffic so I wouldn't do that either lol
I'm really liking what I'm hearing though, I think it will fulfill what I want out of a car more then my wrx
Old Aug 23, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Doooooo it! You wont regret it
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by prack7
Doooooo it! You wont regret it
Im thinking i might take like half the winter on in my subbie then go for the evo mid winter or wait till summer
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:10 AM

i dont wanan spend too much cuz i could prob only get like 16k for this car and i only have like 1500 saved up so im not sure if it would be the best to pay of another loan lol. But i really think its the right way to go for me just wondering how much worse the insurance would be
I only payed 15,700 for my IX with a clean title and my insurance went down by 58 dollars a month! I'm 22 btw.. You just have to shop around!
Old Aug 24, 2011, 09:13 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by RallyMonkey
I only payed 15,700 for my IX with a clean title and my insurance went down by 58 dollars a month! I'm 22 btw.. You just have to shop around!
wow thats really good
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:42 AM

Do it, my car is fully built with hks 272 cams, and Exedy triple cermattalic clutch and I drive it 35 miles one way to work everyday. Also have wiseco 1400 hd pistons. I just fire it up and drive normal until the car is warmed up. The car drives like oe once you get used to letting the clutch out.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by wwcagedevo8
Do it, my car is fully built with hks 272 cams, and Exedy triple cermattalic clutch and I drive it 35 miles one way to work everyday. Also have wiseco 1400 hd pistons. I just fire it up and drive normal until the car is warmed up. The car drives like oe once you get used to letting the clutch out.
all these responses after i buy a dirtbike my wrx will be up fro sale and hopefully i will have an evo sitting in my driveway provided its not to low cuz my wrx only barley makes it up using some crazy method
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Ditch the subby for the evo... in late 2007 i traded my 06' STI for a low mileage 05' Evo and never looked back. Its faster, more nimble, simple bolt-on's show huge gains, easier to work on, drivetrain is not "made of glass" like the subarus, and almost limitless on power capabilitys. I also see alot less evo's on the road, which i like cause it makes my car that much more unique.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
that lie would be i have always been told evos are horrible for daily driving every day and that its really hard on them.
But this has also been told to me by the guys in my local subaru club..
For the performance, it's not a bad daily driver at all. It's obviously going to be a bit stiffer than most commuter cars while being a little more thirsty than average, but considering you can hit 60 in under 5 seconds and go around any given track faster (and more easily) than most cars, I think it's an easy compromise to live with.

I've owned two Evos, and my current one has been my one and only car since I bought it new in February 2007 (though I had my first one a year or so prior to that). It has just under 43k miles at this point, though thankfully I don't live very far from work now (just 1.5 miles), so I don't have to drive it to work everyday, and the days I do drive, I'll put on 3-4 miles total that day. However, I still do have to drive out 30 miles or so once or twice a week for meetings early in the morning, and I've never thought about it being a difficult daily driver. My girlfriend has a Corolla, and on the days where I end up driving her car to work, I find myself miserable, even if all that I'm doing is driving straight on the freeway for miles. There was a point where my commute to work was 15 miles each way.

On that note, the gas mileage is reasonable, as long as you exercise self-restraint and don't drive like a retard when you're going to work. When my commute was longer (the 15 mile one), I'd usually get 22 mpg or so, which isn't bad considering the last leg was going through a lot of stop lights and street traffic since I lived on the beach at the time, so I'd often be circling around the block wasting gas trying to find parking. Now, I get 19 or so, but that's only because my commute is so short (1.5 miles), plus I'll only get into fifth gear once for maybe 20 seconds, and my car sometimes won't even be warmed up all the way by the time I park. But I've broken the 30 mpg twice on all highway drives, though that is uncommon, as my next best was 29.1, then 27.1, then a handful of 26s after that.

The only thing that I really don't like is being in stop-and-go traffic on the freeway for LONG periods of time. I mean 20+ minutes and having only gone one mile. That made me wish I had a different car (or at least an automatic), though I think my squeaky brake pads may have made it more annoying than it really was, haha. Even my girlfriend (who I was talking on the phone with on my Bluetooth headset) was asking what that noise was.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 12:48 PM

i had an 05 STi and no own a IX. honestly, you can't go wrong either way. if you have the money for it then do it, if not, the subie is still a great car
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:55 PM

if you're a die hard subaru fan, get an sti..that's what you're missing with the wrx. i have an sti and an evo, sti is fully built, the evo is the dd. i like the evo and can't wait to mod it. i was planning on getting a new sti to dd, but figured why not get the other brand and have two different cars. boy they sure both feel totally different driving them. the evo is pretty comfortable and i love the way it looks. it's an X. if you do look for an 8 or 9, def look at some private sellers so you can get background info on the car. the ones you will see floating around dealers are probably shot.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 02:59 PM

Welcome and from what I've heard from a few wrx owners and like the others on here have already said you won't regret it. Maybe one of these days I'll be able to get one

Quick Reply: 07 wrx possibly to evo