Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

From STI to EVO IX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up From STI to EVO IX

Well I went though 3 engines on my 06 STI and got sick of hearing BS from Out Front Motor Sport in L.A. I built my EJ257 with Cosworth pistons, rods, bearings, and more. It was running a stage 2 on an Access port for break in but only lasted 3,600 miles before the OEM oil pickup broke, all on its own. So I built it again and replaced it with a killer bee oil pickup. 803 miles later it threw a rod and Out Front didn’t want to take the blame but was nice enough to give me a new engine 1/2 off. Thank guys, hahaha fkrs...... Yes they built the engine and assembled everything except the externals but the rod bearing some how lost its bumper fluid I guess. Hmmm....

Moving on, I set the STI all back to stock, drove it for 6k miles and traded it in for an EVO IX with 57k and a few mods. Feels great and I just ordered all new gates belts, NGK plugs, and oil. It already came with gauges, HKS catt back, HKS turbo timer, and Motegi rims. The 5 speed is different but I will manage. Everybody told me it’s the stronger transmission. Well I will sometime soon post some pics but I’m sure it’s nothing you guys haven’t already seen. Thanks guys and be safe :-)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

I made the same switch, except to the X, and have no regrets.

I wanted more power and knew the STI was not capable of making it reliably, and did not want to have to go through with what you did.

I personally enjoy the 5 speed much more, its smoother, the gears are longer. All that shifting on the STI slows you down.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:31 PM

Welcome. I made the same switch except from a 18G'd '06 WRX to a '05 VIII. I miss my Subie but the Evo is just a better car. You won't be disappointed
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also went from a 07 sti to my evo ix..... no regrets, dccd was cool for that once every couple months I would use it, but it didn't make up for the other shortcomings in the sti.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

I switch from an 04 STi to an Evo IX and I couldn't be happier.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 03:00 PM

Wow sorry to hear about your troubles. About to make a switch from a lancer to Evo haha. Not one the same boat as you guys but welcome to the forum.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Wow just got back from L.A. where I helped my friend build his 08 STI with a 35r, 1000cc injectors, Perrin front mount, TVG delets, etc, etc and only made 385 whp 376 tq on 91oct only...... It was one problem after another. The fuel pump was broken on the inside, the meth injector that was installed was the smallest one made so couldnt be tuned and so on. I felt bad and happy for him at the same time. It feels fast as hell but the numbers dont add up. Tuned at Yimi in L.A.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

same here I owned to Stis in the past(look at my sig), Evo wins in every aspect other than the trunk space but I didn't get this car for its trunk space and have an access to a 4runner and I also don't mind having the battery and water reservoir for a better weight distribution.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Went to my 11' X from an 05 STi. I actually miss my 6spd trans, and fabulous clutch feel...but I totally agree with everyone's feelings on going to the Evo.

I think I would own another subie hands down in the future, but not if I had any intent on really modifying it. Wheels, suspension and intake and exhaust and very moderate tune and call it a day.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Didn't come from an STi, but my friend bought a brand new '05 and put an intake, catless DP, exhaust and did a reflash. He was pretty pleased with his power numbers which was something like 280 at wheels. Then he saw what brand new Evo IX's were putting out with just a simple flash...about the same power, with no mods. He was so bummed and almost traded his STi for a IX but never did. When it came time for me to buy one or the other, I knew what car to go with.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha! I just had the Evo vs. Sti debate with my nephew. I tried to tell him that even a lot of Sti owners think the Evo is a better car but he rode in his cousin's Sti one time when it beat an Evo so he thinks the Sti is king now. Poor kid! Maybe I'll send him a link to this thread.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:38 AM

I will be jumping into a evo IX in the near future. Came from a SRT4 but have always been a turbo Mitsubishi guy. I'm on my 5th dsm. I thought I would give it a another shot. Before I jump on the evo.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

you made a great choice.
We do 5-6 Subi motors a week at the shop I work at because either the motors cant handle the power for daily use or the owner is a stupid kid who's parents foot the bills.

Either way a 4g63 can handle 400hp to the wheels daily for years and achieve it with just fuel and bolt ons. All on a motor with .5L less displacement than the STi.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:57 AM

I've got the same story, although I do miss the sti my first dyno pull with the same bolt ons netted 347whp and 357 tq. I made 300/300 on the sti.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 09:10 PM

i'm a current owner of an 04 sti. I'm looking at an 2005 Evo 8 gsr 5 speed with an evo 9 turbo on E85 120xxx for 15k

Quick Reply: From STI to EVO IX