Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Quick Question Regarding evo 9 trims

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question Regarding evo 9 trims

So im in the market for an evo 9 and ive been searching around patiently for a good evo 9. I found this silver evo 9 and im little confused as to what trim it is. The owner claims its a standard evo 9( GSR right?). However, the car includes red-stitched recaros seats. Does that mean its an GSR SE? Red stitched recaro seats come in special editions only right?

Here are some pictures of the car:
Attached Thumbnails Quick Question Regarding evo 9 trims-25172299767.318736543.im1.main.565x421_a.565x399.jpg   Quick Question Regarding evo 9 trims-25171941739.318736543.im1.10.565x421_a.562x421.jpg   Quick Question Regarding evo 9 trims-25172299769.318736543.im1.03.565x421_a.565x322.jpg  
Old May 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
It's a regular IX, not a IX SE. It doesn't have the red stitching. You see the word "RECARO" in red, but that's standard.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like a standard IX GSR to me. If it was a GSR SE it would have came with BBS wheels, a SE front lip, Red Stitched Recaro Seats, and SE badges on the trunk.

I don't see Red stitched Recaros in that pic, the red stitching should be going across the entire seat on the trim.

Good luck.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:19 PM
cz1

Standard IX GSR like everyone else mentioned.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:15 AM

Thanks guys for your quick response. Are the GSR just as good as the SE? Is there like any mechanical difference? I know they have the same motor and tranny but Se just has some slight cosmetic differences.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

They are exactly the same besides those cosmetic differences.

Four models were available in the US. All models used the same 286 hp (213 kW) engine.

Standard – revised 5-speed, standard model
RS – ralli sport, revised 5-speed, aluminum roof, gauge pack, minimal interior, also no radio
SE – Special Edition, aluminum roof/hood, and front fenders, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels in "diamond black" finish, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, red-stitched Recaro seats
MR – 6-speed, Bilstein monotube shocks, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels, aluminum roof, hood, and front fenders, gauge pack, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, vortex generator, front brake cooling ducts and custom MR badging.

All of the American models are the same in power, but may differ in performance. The only thing that sets them apart is the Evo RS, which is 80 lb (36 kg) lighter than the MR and SE models.

To the standard model, the Sun, Sound and Leather package added a power sunroof, HID xenon headlamps with integrated fog lights, a slightly different stereo headunit (with no integral amplifier), slightly upgraded speakers in the front doors and parcel shelf, a 4.1-channel amplifier under the driver's seat, a powered, trunk-mounted Infinity subwoofer, black leather seating surfaces, leather-trimmed door panels, slightly revised center armrests in the front and rear, and separate rear side headrests. This model deleted the GSR's headliner-mounted sunglass holder to make room for the sunroof.

I hate to be a downer, but this subject has been covered a zillion times, if you simply did a google search with evoM has the subject word you can find many threads which cover the same question.

Good luck.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:28 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by reboundicon
They are exactly the same besides those cosmetic differences.

Four models were available in the US. All models used the same 286 hp (213 kW) engine.

Standard – revised 5-speed, standard model
RS – ralli sport, revised 5-speed, aluminum roof, gauge pack, minimal interior, also no radio
SE – Special Edition, aluminum roof/hood, and front fenders, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels in "diamond black" finish, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, red-stitched Recaro seats
MR – 6-speed, Bilstein monotube shocks, split seven-spoke forged aluminum BBS wheels, aluminum roof, hood, and front fenders, gauge pack, HID headlights with integrated fog lights, vortex generator, front brake cooling ducts and custom MR badging.

All of the American models are the same in power, but may differ in performance. The only thing that sets them apart is the Evo RS, which is 80 lb (36 kg) lighter than the MR and SE models.

To the standard model, the Sun, Sound and Leather package added a power sunroof, HID xenon headlamps with integrated fog lights, a slightly different stereo headunit (with no integral amplifier), slightly upgraded speakers in the front doors and parcel shelf, a 4.1-channel amplifier under the driver's seat, a powered, trunk-mounted Infinity subwoofer, black leather seating surfaces, leather-trimmed door panels, slightly revised center armrests in the front and rear, and separate rear side headrests. This model deleted the GSR's headliner-mounted sunglass holder to make room for the sunroof.

I hate to be a downer, but this subject has been covered a zillion times, if you simply did a google search with evoM has the subject word you can find many threads which cover the same question.

Good luck.
Thank you for your clear and concise explanation regarding the trims. Apologies for the lack of searching. I will be making the purchase very shortly thanks again guys!!!! Will become an active member here very soon. Its a gsr evo 9 with only 33k miles stock with the exception of a medallion turboback exhaust and hks intake along with a john shep stage 2 tranny. Old tranny failed due to acd pump.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djtune
Thank you for your clear and concise explanation regarding the trims. Apologies for the lack of searching. I will be making the purchase very shortly thanks again guys!!!! Will become an active member here very soon. Its a gsr evo 9 with only 33k miles stock with the exception of a medallion turboback exhaust and hks intake along with a john shep stage 2 tranny. Old tranny failed due to acd pump.
Sounds almost too good to be true. If it has a shep stage 2 tranny, I would investigate the car a bit more as it probably wasn't/isn't stock. Usually if the owner knew enough to go to shep for a tranny, he must have done some other mods to the car. I would check for missing stock elements in the engine bay, slim radiator fan, heat shield tape, etc.

Maybe post a photo of the engine bay here on evoM for guys to take a look at to see if it is really "stock".

Good luck.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:06 AM

Yeah that is very true. I will bring two friends who own an evo 9 and they will help me check out the car. Its hard to find a stock or close to stock one now a days.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:32 AM

I will request some pictures of the engine bay and will post here do you guys can help determine if its stock or not. Thanks for the support folks
Old May 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys for your quick response. Are the GSR just as good as the SE? Is there like any mechanical difference? I know they have the same motor and tranny but Se just has some slight cosmetic differences.
I know that someone else already touched on it, but to answer your question, the GSR and the SE are mechanically the same. The only things that would result in any performance difference are just things involving weight, particularly the aluminum roof (lighter, which reduces the car's center of gravity) and the forged aluminum BBS wheels shared with the MR (lighter, which reduces the car's unsprung weight). Theoretically, an SE would outperform a GSR slightly around a track if driven identically and at 10/10ths, but realistically, it's so negligible that most drivers wouldn't know the difference behind the wheel anyway.

I've owned both, and there really wasn't much different between them from behind the wheel in most situations. But I did like the SE's new front chin spoiler, BBS wheels (which I liked but did not want in the MR's anthracite color since I wanted a GG Evo and thought the grey-on-grey looked redundant) in Diamond Black and also the HIDs (which I wanted but again did not want to pay the additional ~$5,000 for the MR).
Old May 16, 2012, 10:02 AM

ok so i managed to get a picture of the engine bay here it is:

What you guys think? does it look stock? It has an hks intake btw.
Attached Thumbnails Quick Question Regarding evo 9 trims-photo.jpg  
Old May 16, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

It looks like it needs MORE HORSEPOWER
Old May 16, 2012, 10:05 AM

Hahaha that i agree but im looking for something stock or close to stock so that i can mod it.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Hahaha that i agree but im looking for something stock or close to stock so that i can mod it.
Yeah I know haha. Personally I have a bone stock IX SE so I'm all for it. It looks pretty stock though (outside of the intake). Maybe check the bolts and stuff to see if everything lines up or if it looks like something has been un-bolted and re-bolted (which would mean it's been returned to stock). I think most of the stock bolts have a line drawn on it, so if it doesn't line up with the washer, then maybe it's been changed.

Quick Reply: Quick Question Regarding evo 9 trims