Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

question about changing oil

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2002, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about changing oil

what kinda oil filter i should get?
from mitsu dealer? or K&N Oil Filter [HP-1010]
and the BEST oil?
thanks
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

which ever you like/can afford. the more expensive prolly the better.

the best oil is the same.. but i would recomend a synthetic, it's almost 2x as much $ but its worth it. any brand is fine. 5w-30 for cold climate and 10w-30 for warm climates.

EDIT: i have changed my oil 3 times and twice i did it on my own. the two times i did it i used FRAM oil filter ($7) once and then tried WIX oil filter ($6).
Old Sep 25, 2002, 10:49 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know the part number of the Fram filter? auto shop only gave me the purolator part last time I changed my oil. BTW, if you decide against sybthetic, find something that's not parafin based (Valvoline or Castrol are good choices)
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

the part number can be easily found once you get to the parts store. i went to wal-mart and they have a book chill'n there next to the filters. i looked up 2002 lancer and i got the one it listed (actually it listed 3 different types for the lancer [like heavy, sport and regular or some ****] and it also stated the lancer had the 4g64 engine, but it was the right part)

I also called aroudn to all the local parts stores and asked over the phone if they carried for the lancer and they all did. so if you just ask you shall receive.

EDIT: http://cpgparts.alliedsignal.com/cpg...I&model=Lancer

i found that on their site and those are the choice i got from wal-mart. even though the engine code is wrong it still works.

Last edited by ez4me2c3d; Sep 25, 2002 at 11:06 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

If at all possible avoid buying any type of Fram oil filter. Fram oil filters are probably amongst the cheapest internally constructed filters, meaning that they're crap.

Originally, I used nothing but Fram for oil filters since my first car in high school. But then Fram started to be sold at Wal-Mart. Wally World pretty much dictates the price a mfg has to sell their wares to be put in WM.

So in order for Fram to make it on WM shelves at their price, Fram cheapened the guts of the filter - especially in the endcaps which hold the filtering media (started using cardboard vs metal) and the bypass valve (started using plastic vs metal) in the filter which controls whether or not the oil is filtered. In many cases back then, the base level Fram(s) would simply stay in bypass mode most of the time, meaning that your oil was not filtered at all even though you had just screwed on a brand new filter.

I am not sure if Fram has improved things since then. But ever since I found out about this whole mess, I just avoid Fram products in general.

If you want a good filter, the stock OEM (Nippon I think) would be fine.

If you want something from non-OEM in the "premium" tier, Mobil 1 and K&N are excellent. The cases on those filters are much thicker than some others to increase their burst strength. The internal guts are also very well put together. Bosch's premium filter is also supposed to be very well constructed.

I'm about to do my first oil and filter change (w/dino) at 1k and picked the M1 oil filter for my OZ since I don't live close to a dealer. The part # is M1-110, I got it from Autozone.

There's a lot of threads about oil and who uses what, use the search feature to browse them.

DF

Last edited by diesel_fan; Sep 25, 2002 at 08:16 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 08:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by diesel_fan
If at all possible avoid buying any type of Fram oil filter. Fram oil filters are probably amongst the cheapest internally constructed filters, meaning that they're crap.

I have used Fram filters on every car and truck I have owned and I am using one on my Lancer. I never had a single problem with them, and I think they are not crap.

As for oil, I use Mobil 1, it's good stuff.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:12 PM
Evolving Member

Perhaps crap is too strong a word, lower or low quality would be a more politically correct way to describe Fram oil filters

See this link for a inside outside look at a variety of filters and how they are constructed.

I found it from an oil / lubrication bulletin board I belong to.

The doc isn't the newest, but it's useful FYI type information

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html

DF

Last edited by diesel_fan; Sep 25, 2002 at 11:50 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2002, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

again, its up to the person handing out the money. if you are a cheap person you wil buy non-name brand, if you dont care about that and you are stuck on name brands then you will buy the most expensive parts. so realistically any filter/oil will do the job without "Damaging" your car, but the higher-end filters/oils will do the job and then go the extra mile.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Any filter (no matter what the retail cost) can cause extra wear and tear or 'damage' on startup or during other conditions if it is shoddily constructed or cheaply designed. Some of the less expensive filters can have plastic bypass valves that stick and anti drainback valves that let the oil filter empty of oil after engine shutdown.

The link I inserted in my earlier post showed several filters that are inexpensive yet provide better quality in the construction vs some products such as the Fram.

If you use products based on what you like then use whatever filter you desire. I attempt to do a little more digging to see if I'm actually getting my money's worth in a product.

DF

This link goes to the BB I referred to. There's more info about oil, filters, etc.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Last edited by diesel_fan; Sep 26, 2002 at 12:09 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by HondaKillingLan

I have used Fram filters on every car and truck I have owned and I am using one on my Lancer. I never had a single problem with them, and I think they are not crap.
I agree with HKL, Fram filters are quality filters. No problems here with them.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Cardboard and plastic do not equal quality in an oil filter. But if you and others think it is, then by all means, good for you, and good luck.

DF
Old Sep 26, 2002, 01:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by diesel_fan
Cardboard and plastic do not equal quality in an oil filter. But if you and others think it is, then by all means, good for you, and good luck.

DF
I must be a little slow today, but what does cardboard and plastic have to do with oil filters?
Old Sep 26, 2002, 01:52 AM
Evolving Member

I don't think you're slow, if anything you may be too fast!

I sincerely wish that people would actually read the whole thread when someone else posts a reply. This entire BB seems to be one of the biggest offenders of this - and I belong to several.

Cardboard and plastic are what some filter mfgs use to make critical pieces INSIDE the filter. Namely the end caps which hold the filter media (paper) in place and the bypass valve.

If you've got a minute or two, go back and browse the links I posted earlier - you'll see where plastic and cardboard come into play with oil filters.

An oil filter is more than just a metal can with shiny paint and a big hole in the end.
Old Sep 26, 2002, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

anyone knows how much the stock filter will cost? from dealer?
Old Sep 26, 2002, 03:29 AM
Evolving Member

pearl, for your next thread

How about instead of asking yet another question from the first question, come back and say something like "Thanks guys for info" or something like that to let people know you actually read through the posts.

As for how much the filter costs from the dealer, I suggest that you goto www.superpages.com ,get the phone # of the parts dept of your local Mitsubishi dealer and ask them!

Quick Reply: question about changing oil