Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Ralliart vs. Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralliart vs. Ralliart

I got an 04 Ralliart 2 weeks ago. The dealership only had A/T, which is prob best cus I never learned to drive stick. My ? is how much performance am I losing due to my A/T vs. M/T?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

about .5 seconds in acceleration, the thrill of shifting that precise shifter
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for what i've seen and heard ...and experience with other cars in the past is that auto performance only sucks at take off ...on the highway ...well thats different i have an auto ralliart and the only friends from my car club that have been able to pass me while cruisin are cars over 227 HP nothing under that can pass you unless you take it way in the right side of the speedo...and even wrx 's wont pass you like they think they can..hehehe!(STI's will )
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

yeah what kreepaevoX just said! so if you are at the start of the 1320 and the gy next to you is a ralliart 5 spd and he just got a .900 reaction time or worst and you got perfect light ..the race is yours...
Old Jun 26, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

M/T......the only way to fly. Learn how to drive one NOW!!!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

see the dynoes here

Manual RA dynoes at 150hp. Auto RA dynoes at 130hp. Auto RA weighs more than the manual. There's no way that they're similar. In 0-60mph there's a half second difference, but in the quarter there a full second difference. The gap is growing.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evilralliart
for what i've seen and heard ...and experience with other cars in the past is that auto performance only sucks at take off ...on the highway ...well thats different i have an auto ralliart and the only friends from my car club that have been able to pass me while cruisin are cars over 227 HP nothing under that can pass you unless you take it way in the right side of the speedo...and even wrx 's wont pass you like they think they can..hehehe!(STI's will )
B.S.
yeah what kreepaevoX just said! so if you are at the start of the 1320 and the gy next to you is a ralliart 5 spd and he just got a .900 reaction time or worst and you got perfect light ..the race is yours...
You might also wanna slash his tires just to make sure. Face it, given equally talented drivers, the auto will be slower.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

The only a/t atvantage is shift points in a race the will have perfect shifts everytime. So in that if I miss a gear (which rarely happens) my m/t is gonna smoke ya. With a 1 sec difference so thats like a fender race. and i agree with tuff guy.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ralliart_dreams
I got an 04 Ralliart 2 weeks ago. The dealership only had A/T, which is prob best cus I never learned to drive stick. My ? is how much performance am I losing due to my A/T vs. M/T?
Same thing happened to me. I wanted a manual and they only had an auto. I got the auto and it's been a year and i'm trying to find someone to take the lease of my auto so I can get the manual. Autos are slower from a stop since you can't control the launch RPM. Still a fun car, but don't drive a manual RA.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

aren't the launching on both M/T and A/T about the same? never actually raced that tested it out with someone that had a M/T
shrugs
Old Jun 26, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoDreamz
aren't the launching on both M/T and A/T about the same? never actually raced that tested it out with someone that had a M/T
shrugs
No, unless you want to **** up the transmission. With autos, the torque converter stalls at the same RPM every time. Which with 98% of transmissions, is too low to be very fast. With a manual, you can control the clutch/gas to launch at the limit of the tires, the fastest way.
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

obviosly tuffguy has very limited experience with cars ...you get the same two cars on the highway and step on the gas at the same time to catch an automatic you HAVE to downshift of you aint going nowhere on 5th gear..even cars with a 30 or 40hp advantage would not go nowhere ifthey are not geared right.(how you explain an STI with 247whp running 12.8's and a VW R32 with 312whp running 13.3's???(same driver).dont be a magazine and internet car expert..get involved in motorsports, i have been for the last 15+ years .....ohh and if you have not figured out yet not all cars with the same engines put down the same HP..i have seen as much as 20hp difference on same cars(stock) with same trannys
Old Jun 26, 2005, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

jwhitey,
what 1 sec difference?if you are talking 1/4 mile time sorry to break it down to you...average for 5spd is arround 15.6 and 16.1 for autos...do some research that right there at 90mph is almost a tie to the human eye...so if you smoke your crappy goodyears(i wonder what mitsubishi was thinking when they pick the tires) in first gear that auto is already gone ....there are some tricks on the mivec that you 5spd guys cant do and us autos can....im sure those other PR guys already know them too....thinks that you find out while getting familiar with your car...thats why in 1 year i have logged 28000 miles...hehehe
Old Jun 27, 2005, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

obviosly tuffguy has very limited experience with cars ...you get the same two cars on the highway and step on the gas at the same time to catch an automatic you HAVE to downshift of you aint going nowhere on 5th gear..even cars with a 30 or 40hp advantage would not go nowhere ifthey are not geared right.(how you explain an STI with 247whp running 12.8's and a VW R32 with 312whp running 13.3's???(same driver).dont be a magazine and internet car expert..get involved in motorsports, i have been for the last 15+ years .....ohh and if you have not figured out yet not all cars with the same engines put down the same HP..i have seen as much as 20hp difference on same cars(stock) with same trannys
Anyone driving a manual and racing on the highway isn't going to just floor it in 5th, they will downshift to 3rd, especially with a car like the RA. With the auto, anything lower than 90KPH (about 55MPH) and the auto will downshift from 4th to 2nd (a manual wouldn't want to go lower than 3rd here) so the auto will actually pull faster. But after 55, the auto will only go 4-3 and the pull will be similar.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tuffguy
see the dynoes here

Manual RA dynoes at 150hp. Auto RA dynoes at 130hp. Auto RA weighs more than the manual. There's no way that they're similar. In 0-60mph there's a half second difference, but in the quarter there a full second difference. The gap is growing.
I may not be reading this correctly, but I see no dyno for an automatic ralliart in this thread; as a matter of fact, I don't think I've EVER seen an auto Ralliart Dyno posted on this site--ever.

Quick Reply: Ralliart vs. Ralliart