Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Looking for some recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some recommendations

Hi

I've got an 02 OZ Rally. I'm looking for some recommendations on some inexpensive parts to enhance my performance. I'm not looking to "trick" my car out, just add some style and pizzaz to it. I'm on a pretty strict budget as well so that really limits what I can do. I'm hoping that what I do will benefit my gas mileage and in a way "pay for itself" in money saved on gas.

Tires: I need some new tires. I'm not positive what I have on right now since I'm not sitting in front of it. I somewhat recently moved so I can't take it to my usual place and have them "take care of it." Any suggestions for a nice set of rubber that grips well when taking corners quickly? btw...I live in Arizona so it doesn't rain that often.

Cold Air Intake: I've been looking at some intakes on ebay.com made by AEM and another company. I really don't wanna spend more than $100 on this but willing to be flexible of sorts. It can be easy to instal or hard since I've got friends that are solid at rebuilding cars. I just want fellow Lancer-ites advice.

Exhaust: I really like the beeffy sound of the classic muscle car, but there's no real way to get that out of a 4cyl import. What I don't want is that stereo-typical "rice-rocket" high pitched squeal. It annoys me very much so. I'd like an exhaust that looks good and isn't a huge pipe. Something that I wouldn't need to cut the bumper to mount. Just replacing the pee-shooter I have and helping the flow.

Thank you for any recommendations or suggestions you have available for me.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a nice catback exhaust from greddy, they make the evo catback for our car. if you have a 5 speed get a cold air, if not a ram air (dunno if you know that or not). Road race motorsports sells both. Wont really make more mpg out of any of these. toyo makes some nice tires. hope that helps
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

hey and welcome,

my first thought would be to search, topics have been beat to death, and the site is full of info...

but a a littel OT....how did you find out about this site?

tires: kuhmo or toyo or yoko
intake: aem cold air
exhaust: greddy
chip/computer, and turbo kit go to roadracemotorsports.com
suspension: tein, or NEX

Last edited by lookslikeanevo; Nov 24, 2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:42 PM

I got my '03 lancer back in '02 and the first mods were an AEM intake and Greddy exhaust. I too hate the "Honda ricer" sound, and would highly recommend both of these. Nice low but not tinny sound. The intake helps the torque in the powerband, the exhaust actually negates some of that but opens up in the higher rpms.

Hope that helps.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
hey and welcome,

my first thought would be to search, topics have been beat to death, and the site is full of info...

but a a littel OT....how did you find out about this site?

tires: kuhmo or toyo or yoko
intake: aem cold air
exhaust: greddy
chip/computer, and turbo kit go to roadracemotorsports.com
suspension: tein, or NEX
exaust: greddy - how come? i heard that one and i really dont like it too much. i love my Thermal Research & Development catback
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

I have bother Greddy evo2 cat back and AEM cai. I love them both. The greddy is welmade and sounds good, but i wouldnt call it muscle car loud. The greddy is also made of stainless steel, no rusting The intake is awesome also, when i go WOT it is much louder than exhaust. But when not WOT its quite. Good luck with your choices.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

as far as exhaust goes .. click on this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...hreadid=150864

... you'll have to do a little reading to find out about it ... theres even a sound clip in there somewhere ... as for intakes .. no ebay ... i went that way .. and wow what a waste ...
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I went with an Injen Intake, Ive got Kamikaze Headers going on and from the research ive done id suggest the Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust