Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Many basic FAQs answered inside

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Many basic FAQs answered inside

So Ive seen arguments in threads about some of the basic questions, and I happened to get AND READ (which some should do) pamphlets that mitsubishi has sent me on my new Evo IX. I decided to share some of the info that mitsu recommends:

- Break-In period - Don't go above 5k rpm for 600 miles. (Whoever wants to follow the high rpm short period break in, knock yourself out. I'm just stating what Mitsu recommends)

- Tire rotations - (normal driving conditions) every 5000 miles. The 1st is most important for even tire wear.

- Oil - Requires FULLY synthetic oil. (Mobil 1 recommended) New oil filter at every change. "It's normal for an engine to use oil, varying by vehicle load, engine speed and driving habits. Because of this, it is not unusual to have to add oil between the recommended oil change intervals." ....so yes, our cars burn oil.

- Brakes - "Your Lancer Evolution uses high-performance anti-fade brake pads to attain stable control during high speed and/or sporty driving. As a consequence, brake noise and dust may occur more easily as compared to a normal passenger vehicle. This is a characteristic of high-performance brakes."

- Warm up and cool down - "It's warmed up enough for NORMAL driving when the coolant temperature gauge STARTS to move. However, never operate your vehicle under severe or hard driving conditions until the vehicle reaches its normal operating temperatures. Otherwise, engine or turbocharger damage may occur.
If you have been driving at high RPM, let your Lancer Evolution idle for a few minutes before you shut it off. This allows the turbocharger to cool.
In cold climates, the transmission lever may be a little stiff until the transmission reaches normal operating temperature."
....so according to this, turbo timers may be worth the money if you don't want to sit for a FEW minutes.
When the car is started, it will make noises that aren't usual during normal operation until at running temps....this IS normal.

I hope this helps...I understand that some of it is redundant, but all the information is in one place. Mods, move this to the Newbie forum if need be. I chose to put here since it has the most traffic.