Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

DSM owner, Evo VIII picked up as daily

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DSM owner, Evo VIII picked up as daily

Hello everyone, Caleb here. I have been a member here for quite a while but never had a need to do an intro since I didn't own an evo. Well, that time has now come. But beforehand, a little about myself.

I'm 23, married, and a 2d Lt in the Air Force. Currently stationed at Randolph AFB but will be moving shortly. While in training I picked up a 06 Infiniti M45 as a daily driver, but have now decided to go with something a bit cheaper to pay off some bills. I didn't plan on buying an evo as they were all out of the price range that I was searching for.

But, then this came along. An 03 Apex Silver...wait, hold up, let's backtrack. The reason I have a daily driver (aka second vehicle).

My project is a 95 GSX as you can see. Twin scroll holset hx35, e85, all supporting mods, 18x9.5 Advan RG1s, evo brembos (reason why I have been a member for a while lol), etc etc. Full build thread here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-...ly-driver.html

So anyhow, I like having another vehicle to drive when the DSM is down for upgrades and such. That brings us back to where we were before, the 03 Evo I just picked up. I was searching for cheaper cars to replace my infiniti and saw this one posted a few weeks ago for 10k. I thought dang, that's a good deal...but it was pretty rough for 10k. So then I see it dropped down to 9,200...and then 9,000. Well now I'm interested as that gives me enough money left over from selling my infiniti to pay off some debt. In the end, I got it for 8,400. It needs TLC, but for 8,400 I have nothing to complain about. Now on to the car

Mod List/Details: (Copied from for sale ad)
142k miles (all original drivetrain)
Kozmic Motorsports tuned,260hp/255tq on Mustang dyno on a 100-degree day. It's my daily..
Competition Clutch street series 2100 Clutch
Competition clutch lightweight steel flywheel
ETS lower Intercooler pipe
ETS short route upper intercooler pipe
ETS intake & filter
evo x recirculating bov
EGR delete kit
Megan o2 Housing
3"exhaust all the way
MR bilstein Struts
Swift sport springs
Whiteline roll center correction kit
GrimmSpeed 3-port 24 psi
OMNI power MAP
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
The driveshaft shop Level 2 Front Axles
Replaced 3 of 4 wheel bearing hubs, as needed
Buschur racing shifter bushings
Mishimoto aluminum radiator
Timing belt,balance belt,pulleys, tensioner- within a year ago.
Master and Slave cylinder - within a year ago.

So that's all of the good stuff, now on to the bad. The car needs the brakes replaced (they pulse extremely bad). No big deal, I have a set of nearly new oem pads from when I did the brake swap on my dsm and I have a friend with oem brembo rotors. So, roughly $100 cheap fix. The front bumper is jacked, guy hit a possum or two he said so the paint is effed. Get that painted by a local guy, $200. Trunk needs polished/sanded because the people were dumb when they debadged it and sanded where the emblems were? Idk, it's weird. Next thing is a cracked taillight...don't like the viii taillights anyhow so gives me an excuse to buy different ones..uhh, $150? Next is a random screw in the sideskirt, don't know what the guy was thinking. Remove screw and use double sided tape like should have been used. Free (and gain a super awesome jdm hole in my sideskirt for air flow). Oh, the rear bumper is scuffed a little too, but not enough for me to spend the money to paint it for a daily, at least not yet. The interior is okay, a little stained, but pretty normal wear and tear. Also, it has two different headlights, don't know what's going on there but oh well, I will open them up and paint them the same color sometime. And lastly, it seems that the TOB (that's my guess anyhow) is a little noisy. Slight rattle with clutch out that goes away with it pushed in.

Alright! So if you read all that then you are expecting to see a huge pile of crap. I won't deny you from seeing it any longer...but know all of it's issues will be fixed very quickly lol. If you didn't notice by my DSM, I like to have clean cars haha.

Old Feb 1, 2014, 09:50 PM

even with the bad....It's an EVO for under 10K. win<>win!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Ha dam I just read your whole build thread that is a beautiful 2g. Makes me want to buynone ha welcome
Old Feb 2, 2014, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
keep us posted with your progress i'm interested sub!
Old Feb 2, 2014, 04:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A fellow blue suiter. Welcome Lt. Thats a fine looking DSM! With a little TLC that evo could be tip top as well.
If you ever make it Andrews AFB look me up.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by rahmacol
even with the bad....It's an EVO for under 10K. win<>win!
Exactly!

Originally Posted by rjfg
Ha dam I just read your whole build thread that is a beautiful 2g. Makes me want to buynone ha welcome
Thank ya!

Originally Posted by shak2300
keep us posted with your progress i'm interested sub!
That I will, should have the brakes fixed and an alignment done by next week, then moving on to fixing the appearance stuff

Originally Posted by sr20det91
A fellow blue suiter. Welcome Lt. Thats a fine looking DSM! With a little TLC that evo could be tip top as well.
If you ever make it Andrews AFB look me up.
Cool deal! Thank ya sir, that's what I will give it, lots of TLC. That I will, I am in the middle of a reclass so there is no telling where I could end up
Old Feb 2, 2014, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice pick up Caleb!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Detective Coating
Nice pick up Caleb!
Thanks Justin!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo for the cheap.... But make sure to throw in another bolt for the seat, that would suck to be in accident without all four bolts in the driver seat
Old Feb 4, 2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by phizzalot
Evo for the cheap.... But make sure to throw in another bolt for the seat, that would suck to be in accident without all four bolts in the driver seat
Good eye! Didn't even notice that haha
Old Feb 4, 2014, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dude 8k+1k in fixes, still way good deal anddddd your 2g is sex, twinscroll holset ftw. that is all