Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

New and Hunting

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New and Hunting

Hi everyone, new member here. I'm in Ontario, Canada. I've been trying to hunt down an Evo X to buy for the last couple of months without much like. There just don't seem to be that many around me. The last GSR I looked at seemed fine on the test drive. Took it to my tech, who basically told me half the car had been replaced despite it's clean Carproof.

Today, I found a car that's located at a used car dealership about an hour away. I've spoken to the sales guy on the phone, who told me he'd be willing to send it off to a Mitsu dealership for a PPI, but wouldn't be willing to drive to to my tech's garage (located an hour away, near where I live).

My question is, has anyone had any experience with letting dealership techs do inspections? I know that as with most performance cars, enthusiasts tell you to stay away from dealers, but there doesn't seem to be much choice in this case.
Old May 19, 2017, 05:02 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Thanks for join us Good luck on your search. Its likely enjoyable & yet frustrating trying to find that right one

Have you considered looking into an older model (EvO 8 or 9) or is the X going to be your daily

Dont have any experience, to offer, in regards to inspection issues but if you have other questions, I may be able to offer an opinion

Joe
The following users liked this post:
Taro45 (May 19, 2017)
Old May 19, 2017, 05:09 PM

As far as I know, the X was the only model imported into Canada en masse. Tons of older Evos here, but they're usually RHD models from Japan.

As for the DD, I'm not sure yet. I have an 86 for the summer, and I've been rotating between beaters for the winter. I might end up using the X in the winter and occasions when I need more room.

I'm fairly certain I want an X GSR. I did quite a bit of reading about GSR versus MR, and I decided that I just didn't want to deal with the SST as it gets older.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Thanks for join us Good luck on your search. Its likely enjoyable & yet frustrating trying to find that right one

Have you considered looking into an older model (EvO 8 or 9) or is the X going to be your daily

Dont have any experience, to offer, in regards to inspection issues but if you have other questions, I may be able to offer an opinion

Joe
The following users liked this post:
MinusPrevious (May 19, 2017)
Old May 19, 2017, 05:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well keep searching & keep us posted on your progress

Ive heard about the difficulty in finding EvOs in Canada & you have confirmed that again
Old May 19, 2017, 06:13 PM

Will do. I don't know if it's Canada-wide as a problem. I know there are a lot of EVOs in Calgary...two of the cars I've looked at now were somehow originally from Calgary.

In the Toronto area, they're almost mythically rare for whatever reason. I'm thinking it's because of our brutal winters basically just eating away any EVOs hanging around. The WRX STi, however, is one of the most common performance cars in my area. I've seen 6 today. In my search for an EVO, I even ended up at a car dealership that had an SLR McLaren, 4 GT-Rs, a 911 Turbo, some P85Ds and a Ferrari. Still, the EVO there had been in an accident.

Even my enthusiast friends think I've gone soft in the head for trying to hunt one down, because for the money you have to pay for one here, you can get a new WRX, a new or almost new GTI, or even a used Golf R. It's at the point where salesmen from dealerships have messaged me trying to get me to buy a leftover Final Edition. Those are a bit too expensive, though.

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Well keep searching & keep us posted on your progress

Ive heard about the difficulty in finding EvOs in Canada & you have confirmed that again
Old May 19, 2017, 06:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

We do have a Canadian forum. You are certainly welcome to search & post up for some assistance

Activity looks a bit light but maybe you can raise the level =)

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/canadian-forum-63/
Old May 22, 2017, 04:12 PM

Well, I saw a GSR at a friend's condo parking lot the other day. I stuck a note underneath the windshield wiper with my name and number. We're at that point, haha.
Old May 22, 2017, 04:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Taro45
We're at that point, haha.

I totally understand. Is there anyway of purchasing an EvO in the states & bringing it across?
Old May 22, 2017, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better to let reputable tuning shops do the tech inspection. Most Mitsu dealers actually have not much better knowledge than avearge repair shops...
Old May 22, 2017, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by WENyongzhe
Better to let reputable tuning shops do the tech inspection. Most Mitsu dealers actually have not much better knowledge than avearge repair shops...
That's what I figured, yeah. Big part of why I passed on the way I was looking at when I started this thread.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is pretty hard to get help from Mitsu now. Several local Mitsu dealers have just coverted to sell other brands...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:14 PM

Got a line on a new candidate I'll drive up to see this weekend. The price is excellent on this one, and it only has 59K KM. It's a 2010 GSR. Rust proofed, has all warranty work done, AYC replaced. New batteries and tires, complete stack of paperwork for all the work done. The bad? Someone backed into it in a parking lot, passenger side front door. Had it replaced under insurance. He's got the paperwork for that also. Thoughts? I'm going to try and attach some photographs to this if I can figure it out.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:18 PM

Edit

Last edited by Taro45; Jul 20, 2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Removed photos.