Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Cams for relatively stock evo?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cams for relatively stock evo?

Hello, i am a new Evo owner and as the title suggests, in wondering if it's worth upgrading cams for a relatively stock car. I just picked up my evo 8 a few weeks ago and am currently dumping a ton of money Into maintenance parts (all timing/belt drive, fluids ect) my main goal is a nice summer daily. Not trying to get to crazy as I have a 1g dsm I'm building and gets most of my money. But I do want a little more out of it. Since I am taking all the belts off it leaves me wondering if it is worth spending the money to install cams while everything is apart. The car as it sits right now has a custom straight pipe exhaust, open dump, injen intake, mishimoto radiator and coolant lines. I would like maybe 350ish whp, again I'm not trying to get crazy. What are the limits to stock cams before I blow a couple hundred more $$$. Also what about stock fmic ? I read to replace the hot pipe but cold side generally are not needed.

Last edited by Timf91; Mar 29, 2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 05:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Timf91
Hello, i am a new Evo as the title suggests, in wondering if it's worth upgrading cams for a relatively stock car. I just picked up my evo 8 a few weeks ago and am currently dumping a ton of money Into maintenance parts (all timing/belt drive, fluids ect) my main goal is a nice summer daily. Not trying to get to crazy as I have a 1g dsm I'm building and gets most of my money. But I do want a little more out of it. Since I am taking all the belts off it leaves me wondering if it is worth spending the money to install cams while everything is apart. The car as it sits right now has a custom straight pipe exhaust, open dump, injen intake, mishimoto radiator and coolant lines. I would like maybe 350ish whp, again I'm not trying to get crazy. What are the limits to stock cams before I blow a couple hundred more $$$. Also what about stock fmic ? I read to replace the hot pipe but cold side generally are not needed.
Just did cams on my 9 (GSC S2's)

If youre doing any kind of head work, you might as well do the cams. Do you have E85 in the area?

Based on your mods, you might be a good candidate for cams. I would get rid of the stock FMIC & get a high flow FMIC to help w/the breathing

Thanks for posting up & please get out there on the boards, daily!!!

If you have any other questions, let me know

Joe
Old Mar 29, 2018, 06:55 PM

Yes i do have a few e85 stations by me actually.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Do your research and hit it all at the same time and save money on a single tune
Old Mar 29, 2018, 07:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yes i do have a few e85 stations by me actually.
You should consider a dual tune (93 & E85) & consider the cams & a FMIC (make sure you have injectors, fuel pump, 3 port boost solenoid)

Originally Posted by Jonno99
Do your research and hit it all at the same time and save money on a single tune
Good advice ^^^
Old Mar 30, 2018, 10:51 AM

How would drivability be with cams and no tune? Car is still going to he a commuter probably until they start salting the roads in winter. I probably won't get a tune until the end of this season or start of next depending on financial situation. Also I don't have a afr gauge or boost gauge yet (on my list of to do).
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

How would drivability be with cams and no tune? Car is still going to he a commuter probably until they start salting the roads in winter. I probably won't get a tune until the end of this season or start of next depending on financial situation. Also I don't have a afr gauge or boost gauge yet (on my list of to do).
Hi Tim

The tune is an immediate must do. Its not just the cams, but the injectors, fuel pump, boost solenoid. Got to be tuned right after the install
Old Mar 30, 2018, 02:19 PM

So in other words no cams yet. No way I can afford all that right now. I know I can't mess with the fuel with out adjusting the tune I didn't know if cams would throw it off that much or not.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If you are dying to spend money on it theres a few little things you can do that shouldnt require a tune, a LICP is not a bad little mod, a diy COP is another one and a intercooler kit should be able to be done without a tune but only minor gains really, maybe a slip in K&N filter too, not a pod. But really you want to set yourself a target HP and save up and do a good mod list with tune
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jonno99
If you are dying to spend money on it theres a few little things you can do that shouldnt require a tune, a LICP is not a bad little mod, a diy COP is another one and a intercooler kit should be able to be done without a tune but only minor gains really, maybe a slip in K&N filter too, not a pod. But really you want to set yourself a target HP and save up and do a good mod list with tune
it's Not that I am not going to get a tune its that I was saying I can't afford to buy everything at one time and get a tune. The reason I'm asking about cams is because I'm going to change the timing belt now and wanted to do it while I have everything apart so I don't have to disassemble everything again down the road. Then upgrade the fuel system and get a tune after that. I already have a injen intake on the car, and I already stated in the 350hp range
Old Mar 31, 2018, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drove cams with out a tune for a tiny bit, but i kept it off boost and i added some timing in the low rpm to help it idle as it was very rough. I wouldn't recommend it on the Stock tune.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 03:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like the guys said above some S2s or if you dont really want much out of it some S1s, Stay off boost till tuned and watch your wideband guage.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bladey
I drove cams with out a tune for a tiny bit, but i kept it off boost and i added some timing in the low rpm to help it idle as it was very rough. I wouldn't recommend it on the Stock tune.
ill Probably just save up over the year and do it all over the winter when the car is in storage.