Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Next Generation Mitsubishi Rally Car to be Based on Evo X Platform | [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2006, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Works Rally Car to be based on Evolution X

See:

http://www.wrc.com/page/News/Breakin...832246,00.html
Old May 24, 2006, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

requires login
Old May 24, 2006, 12:22 PM

Here is the text

After months of worry about the future of the Mitsubishi World Rally Championship team following the head office decision prematurely to end their world championship programme, MMSP Chief Isao Torii has explained the company's thoughts about the future. "Future rally competition plans will be based on the new Lancer Evolution X model, which will first be promoted in America, then elsewhere. "We are thinking about 2008, because by then the Lancer X will have been produced in the necessary 25,000 examples which will allow us to consider other projects, such as a future World Rally Car. No decision beyond the development of Group N cars has been made, except that should a future WRCar be considered, it will be based visually close to the production Evo X design."

Mitsubishi is studying the Super 2000 developments but have no plans to design a car for this formula. "For us, competition is still centred on Group N designs, which will be financially more acceptable to customers than Super 2000 designs."
Old May 24, 2006, 12:23 PM

Basically it says that Mitsu is going to base its new WRC car of the Evo X and that it might make a 2008 appearance after they have the required 25,000 production cars out on the market (for WRC n00bs in order to qualify for the WRC a manufacturer has to produce at least 25,000 production cars of the same car they are entering into the circuit). Also it will be a Group N car vs the Super 2000 designs.

Sounds good to me...just hope they actually do it

Maybe Tommi Makinen will come back and drive?

Edit: I see I was beaten to the punch!
Old May 24, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not seeing where Works plays a part in this.. and I agree with the need to have a driver change up, Gigi Galli has done a great job but they need to find someone who can keep up with Loeb a little better... hell.. every team needs to find someone who can keep up with Loeb a little better
Old May 24, 2006, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

I thinks Works refers to the Mitsubishi 'Works' Rally Team as in Factory race team, not Works the evo tuning shop.
Old May 24, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rallyman
After months of worry about the future of the Mitsubishi World Rally Championship team following the head office decision prematurely to end their world championship programme, MMSP Chief Isao Torii has explained the company's thoughts about the future. "Future rally competition plans will be based on the new Lancer Evolution X model, which will first be promoted in America, then elsewhere. "We are thinking about 2008, because by then the Lancer X will have been produced in the necessary 25,000 examples which will allow us to consider other projects, such as a future World Rally Car. No decision beyond the development of Group N cars has been made, except that should a future WRCar be considered, it will be based visually close to the production Evo X design."

Mitsubishi is studying the Super 2000 developments but have no plans to design a car for this formula. "For us, competition is still centred on Group N designs, which will be financially more acceptable to customers than Super 2000 designs."
So I guess this means that the north american market finally gets a real group-N car... That would be great for the rally crowd
Old May 24, 2006, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

What are the specs for the Super 2000 design?
Old May 24, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

I think one spec rule is that the engines have to be NA 2.0L. Turbos and any other FI isnt allowed.
Old May 25, 2006, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Although, doesn't Group N allow turbo, 2.0l, ect... Someone please post the specs on these two groups.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

From what I understand Group N is a production model based class (25,000 of production models need to be manufactured/sold before a car qualifies for Group N), engine displacement is limited to 2.0l and turbos are allowed but of limited size. More info can be found at http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/events/0503scc_rally/

But when it comes to Super 2000 class I couldn't find much information but I am guessing (just like the name suggests) that basically the only limitation is the engine displacement limited to 2.0l and everything else is as good/big as it gets (turbos are not limited in size). But of course I may be wrong :P
Old May 26, 2006, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Super 2000 is basically the cars you see on Touring Cars but I think there are Super 2000 rallies as well.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

So no Group A prototype based on the X such as the WRC Lancer 2005? That car should be the bomb as it is now already. If it's only Group N then who cares about Loeb and Gronholm since they are in A not N.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Found this in a new Japanese WRC mag...

Just to give you an idea of how the X might look... WRC style...

Doesn't look to bad to me! Sorry about the crumby quality

-Aaron
Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must be the camera angle because that thing looks stubby as hell.

Quick Reply: Next Generation Mitsubishi Rally Car to be Based on Evo X Platform | [MERGED]