Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

evo XI there's hope

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo XI there's hope

The next generation Mitsubishi Lancer EVO XI is starting to emerge, and according to the British press, the car’s powertrain will be a diesel hybrid. The 2013 Mitsubishi EVO XI hybrid was initially planed to receive the petrol hybrid powertrain from the PX-MiEV Concept.
What is The Evo XI? It will give drivers the option of driving in EV mode, though only for short distances, improving fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions. But it won’t be a namby-pamby eco-warrior. According to our source, the electric motor will be an upgraded version of the 63 hp permanent magnet synchronous motor used in the i-MiEV, and the 2.0 litre MIVEC gas engine is expected to generate around 320 hp. Depending on how Mitsubishi manages the power flow between the two, the Evo XI could effectively have up to 350 hp on tap. The current Evo makes do with a mere 291 hp.
Ralliart has been all but shut down, while plans for the next-generation Lancer Evolution have allegedly been put on hold. However, an inside source tells us that death reports of the next-generation Evo are premature. He informed us that there are still a few people within Mitsubishi who don’t want to see the company’s image car go away, and that development is underway on a plug-in hybrid version of the high-performance sports sedan. With the launch of the Outlander Sport compact crossover as well as the electric i-MiEV, it seems Mitsubishi Motors is intent on adopting a green image. Word from Japan is that the company is slowly scrapping its sporty-car program in favor of more economical products.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds interesting, not feeling the shape of it though.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Did we not already establish that the evo X will be the last evo?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:18 AM

This seems to just go over what has already been gone over and established here.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:54 AM

whether or not Mitsu Motors really makes up their mind... it took a little while for the current EVO body style to grow on me (which i now love) but the pick above for a potential XI concept= heinous
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Interesting.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 07:48 AM
KJS
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I really don't understand their thought process. No one goes out and buys in evo hoping that its going to cut their gas prices and up their gas mileage. If people wanted that they would go buy a freaking Prius.

Every since the birth of the Evolution, it is supposed to be a brutal car. It is supposed to be the car that makes me smile with you turn the ignition on and when the put your foot on the pedal, throws you back in your seat like a wild animal.

Even with the 10, it was heavier, softened up and not as vicious and relentless as the 7,8,9.

Even if this XI comes out and is a good, solid car, it's still going to be a dying breed. They are trying to make this car a more commercial car. The evo isn't for everyone, by making it a hybrid, regardless of its "potential" power, Mitsu its trying to main stream it and in the process, they have killed the legendary breed.

Off topic: I hate the new "modern," almost, Syfy, like look of the cars that are being produced today. I feel like they have no soul or personality.

I think we should petition Mitsu to throw their factory doors open again for one more year and make a throwback version of the 9 since it never got to live its full 3 years.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hopeful_Kid18
I really don't understand their thought process. No one goes out and buys in evo hoping that its going to cut their gas prices and up their gas mileage. If people wanted that they would go buy a freaking Prius.

Every since the birth of the Evolution, it is supposed to be a brutal car. It is supposed to be the car that makes me smile with you turn the ignition on and when the put your foot on the pedal, throws you back in your seat like a wild animal.

Even with the 10, it was heavier, softened up and not as vicious and relentless as the 7,8,9.

Even if this XI comes out and is a good, solid car, it's still going to be a dying breed. They are trying to make this car a more commercial car. The evo isn't for everyone, by making it a hybrid, regardless of its "potential" power, Mitsu its trying to main stream it and in the process, they have killed the legendary breed.

Off topic: I hate the new "modern," almost, Syfy, like look of the cars that are being produced today. I feel like they have no soul or personality.

I think we should petition Mitsu to throw their factory doors open again for one more year and make a throwback version of the 9 since it never got to live its full 3 years.
well said... throwback version would be great, but highly unlikely, considering everything is more computers than the rawness that made so many people love the EVO in the first place.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

I feel like they should make a eco trim and 2.0 mivec turbo trim with 300+hp...just my 2cents
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TravEvoIsBeast
I feel like they should make a eco trim and 2.0 mivec turbo trim with 300+hp...just my 2cents
^^That a really good idea! why didn't upper mgmt think of that ???
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

320 hp plus a 63hp electric mode, more power then the current x by over 10% and better gas milage....sounds good to me....I get performance out of my ix but it's hard here in california, with all the mods it gets harded and harder to past a smog check and get past the po po out here. seems like a wing is a reason to get pulled over. so this sounds very intresting to me.

Last edited by evoiao; Jul 13, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Subaru tried that body style and it did not work for them. I dont know why these companies dont get it, we like the 8 and 9 bring them back.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by TheBoz
Subaru tried that body style and it did not work for them. I dont know why these companies dont get it, we like the 8 and 9 bring them back.
I drive an X, but I love VIII & IX body style. I think it's original and sleek. Another negative with X is Mitsubishi made the Lancer look similar which I think is a disrespect to a legend.
Lastly it makes me laugh and kind of pisses me off when people try to make their lancer look like Evo X. Dark tints, installing a muffler, HID lights and decals don't make a lancer an Evo.
Yeah bring back Evo IX body style with FQ400 power
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Ain't gonna happen in your wildest fantasies. The IX simply cannot pass the stringent crash standards set forth by NHTSA. The FQ400 will not meet EPA emissions' standards, nor will it meet CAFE fuel economy standards. I too would dearly love to see the next Evo to be the same size as the IX, maybe a little lighter with a bulletproof engine. Sadly, you can put the IX, X and FQ400 into the dustbin of automotive memories.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by TheBoz
Its true. But people are getting bigger, and companies want to target a more broad audience.

Quick Reply: evo XI there's hope