Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

Mitsubishi develops a new engine platform (4J10)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsubishi develops a new engine platform (4J10)

Good news, Mitsubishi has turned the page on the 4B1X platform and is looking to introduce a greener foot print for its Lancer and RVR/Outlander platform. Time will tell to see how this may be implemented across all Mitsubishi vehicles and possibly the next generation Evolution.

Biggest highlight would be the Auto Stop & Go (AS&G) idle-stop feature. Full press details below.

Tokyo, Oct 20, 2011 (JCN Newswire via COMTEX) -- - Combination will first be applied in Japan to RVR, Galant Fortis, Galant Fortis Sportback models -

Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) announced today the development two new fuel-saving technologies: the "4J10" lightweight and compact 1.8-liter gasoline engine incorporating a new version of the company's MIVEC* variable valve timing system and the latest version of the company's Auto Stop & Go (AS&G) idle-stop technology. The development of these latest technologies is expected to play a big part in achieving MMC's own upcoming fuel and environmental efficiency targets.

The new 4J10 engine/AS&G combination will power the Japan-market RVR (ASX or Outlander Sport in some markets) compact SUV, the Galant Fortis sports sedan (Lancer or Lancer EX in some markets), and Galant Fortis Sportback (Lancer Sportback in some markets) 5-door sports hatchback. With this engine, the three models show an improvement of 12% in fuel efficiency (measured by Japanese 10-15 mode). The RVR will be launched on October 20, and the Galant Fortis models on October 27.

The development of these technologies stems from the Mitsubishi Motors Environment Initiative Program 2015 that forms a key part of the company's Jump 2013 mid-term business plan. Targets for achievement by 2015 set forth in the Program include a 25 percent reduction in on-road CO2 emission of new vehicles compared to the global weighted average for the 2005 fiscal year. The Program is the mid-term benchmark for the Mitsubishi Motors Group Environmental Vision 2020 which aims for a 50 percent reduction in CO2 emission against the global weighted average for the 2005 fiscal year.

Given these targets, MMC is aggressively moving forward with development of technologies like the new MIVEC and new AS&G systems to improve fuel economy in internal combustion engines, increasing the number of models powered by "clean diesel" engines that meet the latest emissions regulations in Japan and Europe, and further advancing its gasoline engine technology. At the same time, MMC is pushing ahead with development and rollout of electric vehicles, led by the global rollout of the i-MiEV new-generation electric vehicle (EV), the introduction of the MINICAB-MiEV light commercial EV and plug-in hybrids.

Overview of the 4J10 1.8-liter MIVEC engine and new AS&G

1. New 4J10 MIVEC Engine

The new 4J10 MIVEC engine (1.8-liter, inline 4, 16-valve SOHC) features the use of a next-generation MIVEC system that continuously regulates intake valve lift, opening duration and timing. The new MIVEC system together with improved combustion stability and a reduction in piston friction provide an improvement in fuel economy without any loss in engine performance (output and torque) over the 4B10 MIVEC engine (1.8-liter, inline-4, 16-valve DOHC).

MMC first applied its MIVEC variable valve timing system to an MMC engine in 1992 with the aim of achieving higher engine efficiency at any engine speed. The company has since incorporated MIVEC technology in many of its engines and this has made a major contribution to achieving high levels of both environmental performance (fuel efficiency, lower emissions) and engine performance. To date, the company has employed two types of MIVEC systems. In one, the system switches between different valve lifts and valve opening durations according to engine speed, while in the other (as used in the 4B10 engine) the system varies the valve opening timing on a continuous basis.

The new MIVEC system employed in the new 4J10 engine can do what the previous two systems could do - but at the same time, all the time. This is due to a single mechanism that mechanically couples intake valve lift, opening duration and timing, allowing these three parameters to be varied simultaneously and continuously. As a result, the new system provides ideal valve operation control that also reduces "pumping losses" by using intake valve timing to control intake volume; thereby further improving fuel economy. In addition, the new MIVEC system can be applied to SOHC valvetrains; bringing about a reduction in both engine weight and size due to the reduction in the number of parts.

The new 4J10 MIVEC engine is produced at the Shiga Powertrain Plant and the company plans to sequentially introduce it on other models.

New MIVEC engine specifications

Engine Type 4J10 MIVEC
Valvetrain/Configuration 16-valve SOHC inline 4-cylinder
Bore x stroke 86.0 mm x 77.4 mm
Displacement 1798 cc
Compression ratio 10.7
Max. output 102kW [139PS] / 6000 rpm
Max. torque 172N m [17.5kgf m] / 4200 rpm

2. New Auto Stop & Go

Auto Stop & Go (AS&G) is an idle-stop mechanism that reduces fuel consumption by automatically shutting off the engine when the car is stopped at traffic lights, etc. MMC currently employs this technology on some manual transmission models for the European market, including the ASX (RVR and Outlander Sport in some markets) and the Lancer (Galant Fortis in Japan).

The latest version of MMC's AS&G system has been developed for use on models fitted with continuously variable transmissions (CVT). The addition of a new control unit (the AS&G ECU) to vehicle management systems means that the new AS&G is also integrally controlled along with the engine, CVT, Active Stability Control (ASC) and climate control. Other changes include the use of a more durable 12V battery and a DC/DC converter (to prevent breaks in audio system sound and prevent the in-car navigation from resetting itself when the engine restarts).

Combining AS&G to the new MIVEC engine provides quick engine restart and initial acceleration performance that feels no different from a car without AS&G. In addition, fuel efficiency is improved because the new MIVEC engine allows the engine to restart using less intake air and fuel by keeping a low valve lift at engine restart. The new AS&G also controls brake force from engine stop to restart via the car's integrated control system. This means that the car will remain stopped on inclines until power is applied to the wheels.

*Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control

About Mitsubishi Motors

Mitsubishi Motors Corporation was established in 1970 and is one of the few automobile companies in the world that produces a full line of automotive products ranging from 660-cc mini cars and passenger cars to commercial vehicles and heavy-duty trucks and buses. The company also operates consumer financing services and provides this to its customer base. For more information, please visit www.mitsubishi-motors.com .

Last edited by evo_soul; Oct 20, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:37 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Good news if you hate motorsports, maybe.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
......But I like motorsports...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noize
Good news if you hate motorsports, maybe.
I knew that they had development going on, but no one could tell me straight up if it would be fleet wide or small implimentation. The fact that they are crossing it in to the SUV's tells me that it is going to be fleet wide.

This doesnt mean the end of 4B1XT development as people have been worried about. A few big Japanese aftermarket vendors have kindly expressed their vested interest in the 4B11T platform to Mitsubishi. And the fact that they spent Millions developing it, I personally dont think it will be something swept away that easily.

But I think this is still good news to confirm that Mitsubishi is still marching consistently in one direction. Part of the problem Mitsu has had lately is that no one. (aftermarket or end user) have any idea what is going to happen to the cars they love to drive, develop for, or MODIFY.

Once the Mitsu road map is laid out, then we will get another wave of growth.

(fingers crossed)
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:47 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was wondering whether mitsubishi is still partnering with mercedes benz or producing their smaller engines, because the new 2012 C250 is a 1.8L turbo?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Seems relatively benign to me. We know Mitsubishi has to seriously push for better MPG and emissions to meet regulatory requirements. It sounds like they're using these engines to address that in their standard cars and SUVs. I don't think this precludes them workin on high output cars with different engines, including future derivations of the 4B11T they spent so much money on.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I knew that they had development going on, but no one could tell me straight up if it would be fleet wide or small implimentation. The fact that they are crossing it in to the SUV's tells me that it is going to be fleet wide.

This doesnt mean the end of 4B1XT development as people have been worried about. A few big Japanese aftermarket vendors have kindly expressed their vested interest in the 4B11T platform to Mitsubishi. And the fact that they spent Millions developing it, I personally dont think it will be something swept away that easily.

But I think this is still good news to confirm that Mitsubishi is still marching consistently in one direction. Part of the problem Mitsu has had lately is that no one. (aftermarket or end user) have any idea what is going to happen to the cars they love to drive, develop for, or MODIFY.

Once the Mitsu road map is laid out, then we will get another wave of growth.

(fingers crossed)
I get that, and really appreciate you giving us the info!

What makes me sad as an Evo guy is that all of us (this forum) are kind of a red headed stepchild. A high number of Evo guys have anti-green behaviors- They run catless, they install larger turbos that require more fuel, etc.

The things we prize about these cars are changing drastically. The new engine is SOHC, auto stop and go, more lightweight, more compact. Read: Slow.

Mitsubishi is kowtowing to CAFE and will alienate it's redheaded stepchild in the process unless they can pull a rabbit out of their hats.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the info. It's about time we got some news on MMC.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:03 AM

Only a fool would think they are planning on using this engine on the next gen EVO. They may use technology derived from this engine, but mark my works...they will not use this engine in the next EVO
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:09 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by ZCHF
Only a fool would think they are planning on using this engine on the next gen EVO. They may use technology derived from this engine, but mark my works...they will not use this engine in the next EVO
Nobody said they are going to use an SOHC NA engine in the Evo, dude. But if you look at the other thread about the green future, it's going to be a whole new ball game and challenging to modify.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

I just posted up a new thread in this section with a link to possible xi consept. As I stated in the post I a not sure of the acuracy of the info.

http://hqnewcar.com/mitsubishi-evo-xi-back-on/
^Link
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:15 AM

There is not really enough information to even make that determination yet. Gas/Electric, Diesel/Electric, full Diesel...no one knows for sure, so I wouldn't draw any rash doomsday conclusions just yet.

Personally, as long as it performs, I don't care if it has a family of roided hamsters under the hood.

Whether or not it performs well and gets decent mileage will be the determining factor if I choose the XI over a used E92 M3.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noize
I get that, and really appreciate you giving us the info!

What makes me sad as an Evo guy is that all of us (this forum) are kind of a red headed stepchild. A high number of Evo guys have anti-green behaviors- They run catless, they install larger turbos that require more fuel, etc.

The things we prize about these cars are changing drastically. The new engine is SOHC, auto stop and go, more lightweight, more compact. Read: Slow.

Mitsubishi is kowtowing to CAFE and will alienate it's redheaded stepchild in the process unless they can pull a rabbit out of their hats.
EVO isnt dead yet. There I am aware of two variations put forward in the current Mitsubishi Road map in development. They both remain viable. One green, one not so green if you know what I mean

Its my hope that the do continue to develop the platform. Mitsubishi is currently influenced by Nissan who is continuing to work closely with Mitsubishi on countless projects. There is an exchange of technology that is going on as well. Time will tell to see what our next Red headed step child will look like
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

IDK why Mitsu has to go this direction. I prefer the Nissan direction, High MPG vehicles for the everyday commuter, electric vehicle( Leaf) for those that want to trail blaze and High HP vehicles for those that are stuck in their ways and will pay increasing fuel cost to enjoy the acceleration and lifestyle of these mod friendly vehicles provide( 370Z, G37 and GTR)
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:35 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by evo_soul
EVO isnt dead yet. There I am aware of two variations put forward in the current Mitsubishi Road map in development. They both remain viable. One green, one not so green if you know what I mean

Its my hope that the do continue to develop the platform. Mitsubishi is currently influenced by Nissan who is continuing to work closely with Mitsubishi on countless projects. There is an exchange of technology that is going on as well. Time will tell to see what our next Red headed step child will look like
Nissan corporate is right around the corner from me. I like the GT-R, but the rest is pwned by platform sharing and kinda snorefest.

I'm holding out hope for a good Evo XI!

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi develops a new engine platform (4J10)