Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
+1,000
Agree - it will take some time for aftermarket support, but there is tremendous potential for hybrid performance. I suspect it will just be a different type of modifications.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot depends on whether Mitsubishi uses a parallel, series or series-parallel configuration for propulsion. In a parallel hybrid the single electric motor and the internal combustion engine are installed so that they can both individually or together power the vehicle. Series-hybrid vehicles are driven by the electric motor with no mechanical connection to the engine. Instead there is an engine tuned for running a generator when the battery pack energy supply isn't sufficient for demands. In a power-split hybrid electric drive train there are two motors: an electric motor and an internal combustion engine. The power from these two motors can be shared to drive the wheels via a power splitter, which is a simple planetary gear set.

Looking at the Peugeot 908, Audi R18 and Porsche 911 GT3 Hybrid, as wel as F1 cars using KERS, the electric motor is used primarily to supplement the engine, with more power for passing as well as save fuel. In the case of the Porsche GT3 Hybrid, Porsche uses an electrical flywheel power generator to power the electric motors rather than using batteries. The flywheel generator is charged whenever the driver brakes, thus recapturing lost energy and giving the driver extra power.

In addition, most car companies are looking at extreme ways to cuts mass and weight. Composites, aluminum and titanium are being thrown around as ways to dramatically reduce avoirdupois. Audi and BMW have made it clear that steel will only be used in strategic places for safety reasons and will not be used for major parts of their cars.

Given Mitsubishi's incredible performance for the Evo series, I can actually see it using the XI as a platform to demonstrate their engineering capabilities. Rather than thinking of some stinkin' diesel with small electric motors, think of a much lighter platform with ridiculous torque and enough power to equal the current Evo X. The main question at the moment is what type of hybrid configuration Mitsubishi plans on using.

For those skeptiks who doubt diesel hybrids, BECAUSE RACECAR!

Peugeot 908 550hp V8 hybrid:

Audi R18 V6 3.7 liter diesel hybrid:

Porsche 911 GT3 Hybrid:

Bob Dylan did a song called, "Times, they are a changing"

Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'.
For the loser now
Will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
There's a battle outside ragin'.
It'll soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand

Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast

As the present now
Will later be past

The order is
Rapidly fadin'.
And the first one now
Will later be last
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow so what is that 8 years for a new model evo to come out.. thats surprisingly long
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Itchy
wow so what is that 8 years for a new model evo to come out.. thats surprisingly long
I was thinking the same earlier. Most generations only lasted a few years before the next one came out (around 3-4). This is about to be 4 years and their just now announcing there will be another one
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:21 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by apagan01
I guess i am bored and super fired up about this.

Sir you are missing the important part diesel car would be one thing, but you are missing the important part,, this will be nothing more than a prius on steroids,, diesel small engine with an electric motor, if it was a diesel engine solely then thats one thing but diesel and electric come on ! its obviouse mitsu has given in to the tree hugging BS

give us back the 4G63T, and call it a day
Have faith...
Old Oct 22, 2011, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
yaeh 08-14... that's pretty much a hold run of 1-3, 4-6 or 7-9 spent on the X..

no improvements to the system or car or engine or chassis planned, just gonna dump the car and move onto a completely new system

as long as they don't call a following model year the 11 or 12, they don't have to make huge changes i guess
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

so alot of people here are going to get electrocuted and die from hazardous fumes if the car gets into an accident or electrocuted during aftermarket mod
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

I couldn't care less about the technology and other niche-based details the dilettantes on here argue about. For some, merely hearing that a car is "diesel" elicits an automatic, emotional response that closes minds and opens mouths.

If this next Evo is:

a. Good looking
b. Performs well
c. Gets better gas mileage
d. Actually has a trunk

They're certainly hitting me as a target market.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:20 AM

While I don't think that this is a necessarily bad idea for a car why do they need to continue the Evo line? Can't they make it an all new vehicle and let the Evo series enter into the history books for the car it was. I mean how far are they really going to go, Evo 20? Let it die with dignity at the 10.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
+1,000
+2,000

The fact that they already have the winning formula (proof = all Evos that have come and gone) and also the fact that they've sold 11,000 electric jelly-bean i's all over the world since 2009 and already have diesel technology to work on (the Concept RA)... I'm pretty sure they can pull it off... when has Dr. Evo ever failed to deliver?

It's just the wait that drives me nuts...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:08 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
I think an interesting question is how many 8/9 fans are new car buyers. I know I can only afford used.
You should have been here a few years ago, when most Evo owners bought their cars new. FWIW, I bought 2 Evolutions brand new. Go to the noob forum and go back to '06. There were multiple threads started daily by folks who bought new IXs. See the same thing now with the X? No. Do we need to wonder how a hybrid XI will fare?

As for a hybrid-diesel, I won't be buying one. No frucking way.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 24, 2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:08 AM

A few months ago we were all talking about the rumer that Mitsu was going to end production on the Evo. Everyone was compaining about it too. You guys should be greatful that the "EVO" WILL continue to Evolve. Beggers can't be choosers, it's were the future is. I'm sure we will not be disapointed!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by benselements41
A few months ago we were all talking about the rumer that Mitsu was going to end production on the Evo. Everyone was compaining about it too. You guys should be greatful that the "EVO" WILL continue to Evolve. Beggers can't be choosers, it's were the future is. I'm sure we will not be disapointed!
Why? Seriously. Why should we be grateful that Mitsubishi is bringing out yet another car with an Evolution nameplate that we don't want to buy? It's not as if the Evolution is the only car for sale at the moment. There are lots of choices.

Personally, I think Mitsu should have ended the (Evolution) run with the IX. The X is a great car in its own right. Historically, the Evolution (err...) evolved every year or two. At this rate the X will remain as a static entity for a solid 6 years. So, is there a real Evolution program at work? Sure doesn't look like it.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by dee242
so alot of people here are going to get electrocuted and die from hazardous fumes if the car gets into an accident or electrocuted during aftermarket mod

So when do we stop catering to the lowest common denominator (lowest IQ.) and start pushing things forward in this country? Survival of the fittest man, if you don't know what your doing take it to some one who does.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
I'll stick with my IX, thanks.

No evolving going on for me.
thats oke, there is always will be people who going around circles.

i'll wait to see how it will actually develop. Looks like we need another DD around 2014

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.