Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Launch control idea

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Launch control idea

Well I finally went to the track (1/4 mile) to see how my car does. I made a few passes and my 60 times ranged anywhere from 1.804 to 1.821. I decided to give the launch control a go, and what a mistake that was.

I pulled up to the lights, stepped on the clutch, and pressed the gas down. The car was holding a constant 5500 rpm, the light went green, dumped the clutch, and the car bogged slightly and off I went. I went to shift from 1st to 2nd, and it was like the car fell on its face. I experienced this on the 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 4th shifts as well.

I understand, now, that the launch control is meant mainly for flat foot shifting, but I don't want to be replacing synchros.

I was discussing this with one of my dsm buddies at the track, and he was telling me he has his launch control (via msd or something) hooked up to his e-brake. He lifts slightly on the e-brake to engage the launch control, dumps the clutch and then lets off of the e-brake. Please understand that the e-brake is not actually engaged, but lift only slightly as to make the "brake" light on the dash come on.

This brought me to my launch control idea. Is it possible to rewire the launch control to read off of the e-brake? Maybe this idea should be disgarded as I may have missed something on how to make the launch control actually work better for me in stock (TXS intentions) form.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought that since the utec would cut inj or ing. for that split second when the clutch is pressed, then it should be safer for the tranny. i have used the lauch controllor and flatshift for three months now with no issues.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

what is your 2step set at brsevolution? I might wanna try this out on my utec =)
Old Mar 4, 2005, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

its notgoing to hurt your syncros , when you depress the clutch to shift it slows the engine down enough and it slides right in to gear provided you have adjusted your clutch pedal to get full disengagement of your pressure plate and its not dragging between shifts, i launch at 6500 14psi boost and you have to slip the clutch....it will bog at almost any high rpm even 8000 if you dump it...
happy tuning
regards rick
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Put a throttle switch on first gear. Break the wire connection going to the clutch switch after first gear. Whola, launch control first gear only. BTW, there are two switches on the clutch, the utec is looking at the one farthest from the firewall.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

well here's the whole issue with why the launch control didn't work for you... you simply dumped the clutch.. gotta slip into it.. once you feel it grab.. then let go.. takes alot of practice.. once i got mine down holy ****! did my car take off!!!
Old Mar 7, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIFL
well here's the whole issue with why the launch control didn't work for you... you simply dumped the clutch.. gotta slip into it.. once you feel it grab.. then let go.. takes alot of practice.. once i got mine down holy ****! did my car take off!!!
I don't think I was clear. I had issues on the shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc.. The problem I was having was that the car would not rev past 5500 rpm, due to the fact of the launch control. I wanted to find another way to use the l/c because I am not comfortable with flat foot shifting.

Anyways, I just don't think I will be using the l/c anymore.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
launch control is only for when your clutch is in, that means, you shouldn't have problems with the 2 step when you're shifting on other gear while rolling.

what is your setting for the launch control?

4500, 4500 at 5500?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 06:53 PM

whats up guys sorry for the stupid question but what is 2 step and what is flat foot shifting. THanks
Old Mar 10, 2005, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stevoscr
whats up guys sorry for the stupid question but what is 2 step and what is flat foot shifting. THanks
There are no stupid questions.

Most cars come from the factory with a rev limiter, set to prevent over-revving the engine- a "one step" limiter, if you will.

They are talking about a "two step" limiter, one that limits the RPMs to a set value (i.e. 5000) when the clutch is in, in addition to the one at redline, which is in effect when the clutch is out.

Therefore, you can shift with your foot flat on the floor; when the clutch goes in, the revs drop toward 5000; when the clutch goes out, they climb again. It keeps boost up and improves acceleration.

Dragsters usually have another limiter for launch; a "three step". Maybe this is what this guy needs.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by soundfx007
Put a throttle switch on first gear. Break the wire connection going to the clutch switch after first gear. Whola, launch control first gear only. BTW, there are two switches on the clutch, the utec is looking at the one farthest from the firewall.
ooh ok i got it not thanks for the reply. Has anyone else put a switch on first gear? If so how do you like it?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

can you set up the UTEC to setup launch control ie like the factory launch control implemented on '05 evos?
Old Mar 13, 2005, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

when ever i get L/C for my car. I"m gonna set up a switch from the clutch switch to activate and deactivate. So basically. flip the switch for L/C. after you launch and you have fully engaged the clutch. flip the switch back to disengage the launch controll. I don't plan on full-throttle shifting. I did enough of that in my honda...

-chad-
Old Mar 14, 2005, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostfed
when ever i get L/C for my car. I"m gonna set up a switch from the clutch switch to activate and deactivate. So basically. flip the switch for L/C. after you launch and you have fully engaged the clutch. flip the switch back to disengage the launch controll. I don't plan on full-throttle shifting. I did enough of that in my honda...

-chad-
And this is basically what I am after. I understand what you mean about the honda, as I was in the same boat, and replaced many a synchro.
Old Mar 26, 2005, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

I think you are just not doing it right. When you flat foot shift it should be smoother than a normal shift. It takes getting used to, my boss uses it every day no problems.

We will have a Launch Control Setting and a Flatshift setting in upcoming software versions.

Jermaine~