Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Ay Caramba!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ay Caramba!!

Okay guys, I hit Jack up with this same problem awhile back, but thought I had it fixed.. seems its back with a vengeance on my ***
ok heres the sit rep: replaced line from T joint that had little restrictor in it with just clean open line no restrictor.. stock boost held at 19psi. Well finally took the bleeder valve and twisted the block thingy down all the way..
now 3rd gear pull from 3K till 6k holds 15psi, then last 6-7k goes up to 19psi. I had changed the boost map to 50% at this point. Went back and dropped it to 30% to make sure UTEC controls my boost... didn't do a friggin thing! still same 15-19psi deal.. any ideas at all folks?? or would it seem my UTEC is on the fritz? my overall goal here is simply to control the boost via the boost map making increases, but doesn't seem to want to play ball
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Check for boost leaks first then retest.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

How would I go about checking for leaks? I'm guessing simply check the lines and all?
Old Feb 26, 2005, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boost leaks can be tough to find. Checking hoses is the long way the fatests way, albeit not easy, is to take your car in to get preassure tested. This will find the leaks pretty quick. Another easy way to ensure its not the UTEC would be to hook up a MBC if you have one handy and see if you can hold boost with that. If it holds fine with the MBC then its not a boost leak.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Checked all the lines yesterday and even replaced lines that were in question. Tried the MBC trick and held boost perfectly. Just can't seem to control boost at all with the UTEC for some reason? Should I email TurboXS about this problem and see if they can get it perhaps? I'm thinking of just simply reinstalling that line with the restrictor in it to see if maybe that had something to do with it.. I'm just REALLY confused as to why it won't control the boost worth a damn. Even tried clearing the boost soleniod by following the UTEC manual: Boost map in the 0-20% range up to around 1500rpms to 50%. Got the boost soleniod to do the little clicking deal. so basically I NEED HELP!!!
Old Feb 27, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

when my car was new, It ran o.k. Not great. Got hammered by almost anything on the road. Well i put on a boost gauge and was getting 14 PSI. Interesting. Did some research and found out that several cars had bad boost solenoids from the factory. I put in an EVC and have been in heaven ever since. Check your solenoid. The UTEC could be sending it the signal, bit if its not working, nothing will happen.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

you saying I should completely disconnect the UTEC and re-establish all the factory lines back and see what boost I hit and then go from there?
Old Feb 27, 2005, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

no. you said you tried a MBC and it held perfectly. If the MBC held, maybe your solenoid is defective or not functioning up to par? What happens in MAP-0??
Old Feb 28, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

in MAP-0 when I have the bleeder valve completely sealed I hold boost at 15psi, it gradually increases to 19psi though by the top of 7k rpms