Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Just got my new UTEC -- some starter questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 06:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Just got my new UTEC -- some starter questions

I just took the plunge and bought a UTEC. I have a few questions on getting started:

1. I currently have a Fields harness which is spliced for my ebc and my SAFC. I'm planning to leave the SAFC in place for now so that I can go back and forth between the SAFC tune (with the UTEC running stock mode) and my evolving UTEC tune (with the SAFC zeroed out). Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

2. If you use the Open Loop Fueling mode, does that bypass the ECU's usual coolant temp enrichment adjustments that are the subject of the thread on here about Buschur's "secret" new mod?

3. What is the best way to set the max MAF limit? I'd like to have headroom to run up to ~24 psi on race gas, but I have no idea what the MAF readings would be at that boost level.

4. In order to tune fuel and timing in the various load ranges, I'm thinking of making adjustments at very low boost (by turning down my ebc) and then increasing max boost little by little to progress through the load cells and make incremental adjustments. Is this a good approach?

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't pass the signal through 2 signal processors.. However definitely keep the field harness and boost controller in there.. just bypass the S-AFC, its useless to keep it there, and will alter the tune on BOTH units so testing/tuning on one, will affect the other significantly.. (Each one alters the MAF reading, and each delays it slightly also alters it even when its not "In use") So definitely remove the S-AFC

Tuning the UTEC is pretty cool, if you tune for low boost, you can set yourself up in a lower load site column, then copy the settings to the later columns and refine accordingly.. But starting with very low boost, then tuning for 50%, turning it up, and tuning for the next region of cells, will make for a very very useful curve.. Then after you get that done, you end up tweaking a bunch of stuff for part throttle drivability, thats what takes the longest.

The max settings should be around 2200hz for 25psi, leaves you a little headroom, there are two places you need to make this setting, one is the standard configuration menu which has a MAX MAF setting (I think its 17 or 18 by default) and then the MAF cut value in the OLF menu which is set to 19 or 20 by default.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Thanks. Any idea about whether OLF solves the temp enrichment issue? Also, how much additional headroom, if any, do you think I need to allow for the additional airflow of a WR turbo?