Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

UTEC Plug-in

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UTEC Plug-in

Although no one has specifically asked me for it yet, I'd kind of like to do a free plug-in for LogWorks for the UTEC. Pretty much along the lines of the plug-ins for the Tactrix cable (MUT, SSM, and OBD-II), XEDE, MegaSquirt, and DSM 1G.

Based on the manual on the web site, it seems like it would be very straight forward. 19,200, 8, n, 1, none, then send a few terminal commands to get either the 'logger' or the 12 'data logger' variants (1-6, <shift>1-6).

Then you could basically do what NJ1266 does with his XEDE, concurrently log ECU, UTEC, and any normal LogWorks hardware into one real time log. What I would need is a provider-of-hyperterminal captures (so I can figure out which of the 13 data sets makes the most sense and and to parse it), and a volunteer to try the plug-in (or at least a little tester app), since I don't have any hardware.

PM me if anyone is interested.

-jjf

P.S. The point wouldn't be to 'compete' with any other solutions, just to provide another free combined logging/graphing/charting solution to folks who already have compatible hardware.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 05:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a spare setup on my bench, I'll try to send you some captures later today..

FWIW, its a bit more involved than just a bit of interaction with the UTEC, the parsing portion is easy, but it uses some terminal emulation initially and outputs some garbage before and afterwards that is hard to eliminate, but otherwise its a pretty straightforward thing.

The most popular and complete log is using SHIFT-1 (Data 1) The others have some useful data, but itsn't used much for tuning. (mostly switch states, sensor data thats not really useful for logging)

The formatted output is fixed width columns using spaces, thats 1-6, then Shift 1-6 is just the comma delimited data which is easier to parse.

For one reason or another, nulls turn up in the data every so often, most often when the Tuner Pro is connected, but it does affect things occasionally.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks - probably VT-100 type position and emphasis codes (and I thought I was done with those 20 years ago! ).

Thanks again,
-jjf
Old Jan 23, 2007, 01:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep its VT100 though Hyperterminal recognizes it as Ansi..
Old Jan 25, 2007, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

I have both the Utec and EcuFlash. It's a pita trying to match up the two logs as sampling frequency is different, interpolation between rpm, etc. I'd love to see a program that could integrate the two.

If you need Utec logs, or a tester of your plug-in, I'd be more than happy to help.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dubbleugly01
I have both the Utec and EcuFlash. It's a pita trying to match up the two logs as sampling frequency is different, interpolation between rpm, etc. I'd love to see a program that could integrate the two.

If you need Utec logs, or a tester of your plug-in, I'd be more than happy to help.
That would be great! Step one I suppose would be to connect Hyperterminal, capture a log (sounds like '1' is the common data set most people log) and either post it here, or send it to joe at innovatemotorsports dot com (put "UTEC" in the subject line).

The other information I would be interested in:

* Confirm Hyperterminal settings (I think I read it is 19200, 8, n, 1, no handshake)
* Identify the name, units ('%', 'Volts', 'RPM', etc.), min, and max values of each logged column.
* Confirm the exact keystrokes required to start logging and stop logging (If the log starts early enough in the session and the unit echos, I can probably tell).

Then I'll generate a test exe for you to run. When that works, I'll turn it into a channel plug in for LogWorks.

Thanks again!
-jjf
Old Jan 25, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jfitzpat
That would be great! Step one I suppose would be to connect Hyperterminal, capture a log (sounds like '1' is the common data set most people log) and either post it here, or send it to joe at innovatemotorsports dot com (put "UTEC" in the subject line).

The other information I would be interested in:

* Confirm Hyperterminal settings (I think I read it is 19200, 8, n, 1, no handshake)
* Identify the name, units ('%', 'Volts', 'RPM', etc.), min, and max values of each logged column.
* Confirm the exact keystrokes required to start logging and stop logging (If the log starts early enough in the session and the unit echos, I can probably tell).

Then I'll generate a test exe for you to run. When that works, I'll turn it into a channel plug in for LogWorks.

Thanks again!
-jjf
whoa! You'll have to slow down, I'm not that computer literate! Fortran was cutting edge when I was in school.

I'm reading from the Utec manual and I think this is what you're looking for for bullet #1. 19200, 8, none, 1, none.

for bullet #2, the names and units will be the column headers and that's how it records. Min/Max values I'll have to look a little deeper, but some are sorta self explanatory. RPM 0-9000?, not sure of upper range. External map is a 3 bar sensor, so -14.7 to 29.4? Maf Hz 0-25000? Malibu might be able to help with that one. TPS 0-100%. Load site 0-100 in increments of 10. Knock count 0-99? The highest I've seen is 9. Ign #1 -10.x to +40.x?. Inj #1 duty 0.x-99.x%, it may go to 120%, I just don't know. Mod Ign degrees -10.x to +40.x, or 'ECU' can be a value also. Mod Fuel % 0.x-99.x? Not sure of the upper end. Boost OL 0-100. Mod Maf Hz 0-25000? It may go has high as 50000, but the Evo will never see that. WB AFR (wideband) 9:1 - 25:1.

for bullet #3, with hyperterminal open and from the main Utec intro screen. From the Hyperterminal menu select "Transfer/Capture Text". you then have to give the file a name followed by .txt or .csv. Then you click "start". From there, you either enter '1' for txt format or 'shift 1' for csv format. When your done logging, you select from the hyperterminal menu "Transfer/Capture Text" and then click "stop".

Like Malibu stated earlier, there will be some jibberish at the top of the log prior to the column headers and logging data. In the example I attached, I've already removed that stuff, but if need be I can collect another log that hasn't been culled of jibberish.

I've attached a sample log of data set '1' in txt format
Attached Files
File Type: txt
1-27-07 boost issue.txt (3.6 KB, 14 views)
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry if I overloaded you! The log looks great, thanks!

It would be helpful to have two logs, '1' and '<shift>1', un-culled. Otherwise, I think I have most of what I need.

Thanks!
-jjf
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would be a great tool and much appreciated by those of us who have stuck with the UTEC despite the lack of firmware updates that we were promised. Please keep us updated.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry if I overloaded you! The log looks great, thanks!

It would be helpful to have two logs, '1' and '<shift>1', un-culled. Otherwise, I think I have most of what I need.

Thanks!
-jjf

Here's two short logs, one in txt format un-culled and the other in csv format un-culled. What I did notice is if you start "recording a log, you can switch between the dashboard screen, the intro screen and the jibberish before the actual log increases, like it's trying to record screenshots or something. But once you push '1' or 'shift 1', that's when the useful data starts. These logs below are of the immediate '1' or 'shift 1' type.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
1-26unculled.txt (1.9 KB, 11 views)
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

oops, second attachment didn't attach.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
1-26unculled.zip (4.4 KB, 8 views)
Old Jan 27, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Two more questions:

1. The second file looks like an Excel Workbook, would it be possible to post the original CSV file instead?

2. On the channels that display ECU, are values other than ECU absolute or relative?

In other words, are values other than ECU how much the unit is shifting ECU values or absolute values for the channel?

Thanks!
-jjf
Old Jan 27, 2007, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Two more questions:

1. The second file looks like an Excel Workbook, would it be possible to post the original CSV file instead?

2. On the channels that display ECU, are values other than ECU absolute or relative?

In other words, are values other than ECU how much the unit is shifting ECU values or absolute values for the channel?

Thanks!
-jjf
csv file attached. I couldn't get the original csv file to attach, so I changed the formatting several times till I realized very few formats can be attached to a post, zip being about the only choice I have.

for #2,

fuel values will be relative. For instance "0" means do nothing to the stock fuel map. 2 would mean add 2% to the stock map, while -2 means subtract 2%. You can't put "ECU" in a Utec fuel map, it doesn't compute, it has to be numeric. And the way it controls fuel, is it adjusts the MAF signal up/down depending on the value you put in fuel table. That's why there's a Mod Maf line.

timing values are absolute. You plug in whatever timing value you want, and that's what you get. But unlike the fuel map, "ECU" means run off the stock ECU timing map while "0" would mean run zero degrees of timing.

Boost values are like timing values, they represent the duty cycle of the boost control soleniod. If you See "ECU" it means run off the stock boost map, and if you plug in a value, then that represents an absolute duty cycle.

In case you're not to familiar with the Utec, the fuel maps and timing maps are very similar to EcuFlash maps, they are two dimensional matrices with rpm being the Y axis and load being the X axis. RPM goes from 500 to 9500, in increments of 250, and load goes from 0 to 100, in increments of 10.

Private e-mail is badanna@earthlink.net if it would be easier than evom. I've got yahoo IM, but I'm never on it unless for a particular reason. dubbleugly01@yahoo.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
1-26un-culled.zip (861 Bytes, 9 views)