Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Evo 8 Detonating / Sputtering horribly Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:07 AM
PPM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Evo 8 Detonating / Sputtering horribly Please Help!!!

Okay, first a list of mods. I have an Evo 8 (2nd Evo 4th 4g63 owned).

Full Exhaust (HKS 3" Turbo Back)
InJen Hard Pipe Kit
Bushur MBC
Super AFC (all set to -3% hi and low)
APS BOV 1/2 atmosphere
InJen Intake
Warlboro 255 Fuel Pump
Custom (me Flash)
Magnacore Plug Wires
NGK BPR7ES Plugs

With my custom flash and every mod except the fuel pump I was running consistent 12.9's, this was with my flash which was barely modded, I upped the fuel cut, and fuel for idle, also added boost throughout the range and hold 21PSI all the way to redline, spiking around 24lbs occasionaly at 4500 RPMs. The Super AFC isn't really doing anything anymore since I found out it is virtually useless I plan on removing it over the holidays. Since I added the fuel pump under any kind of hard acceleration I hear alot of backfiring coming out of the engine compartment sounds like angry popcorn almost. If I use 1/4 throttle I build boost and seem to run fine without any noise. Where should I start with this??? I am lost and I really miss my fun car. I tried putting the flash back to stock that did nothing, I turned the boost down that did nothing, I upped and lowered the fuel + / - 3% with the AFC, still nothing.......

Please Help!!!

Last edited by PPM; Jan 4, 2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PPM
Okay, first a list of mods. I have an Evo 8 (2nd Evo 4th 4g63 owned).

Full Exhaust (HKS 3" Turbo Back)
InJen Hard Pipe Kit
Bushur MBC
Super AFC (all set to -3% hi and low)
Unknown Origin BOV 1/2 atmosphere
InJen Intake
Warlboro 255 Fuel Pump
Custom (me Flash)
Magnacore Plug Wires
NGK BPR7ES Plugs

With my custom flash and every mod except the fuel pump I was running consistent 12.9's, this was with my flash which was barely modded, I upped the fuel cut, and fuel for idle, also added boost throughout the range and hold 21PSI all the way to redline, spiking around 24lbs occasionaly at 4500 RPMs. The Super AFC isn't really doing anything anymore since I found out it is virtually useless I plan on removing it over the holidays. Since I added the fuel pump under any kind of hard acceleration I hear alot of backfiring coming out of the engine compartment sounds like angry popcorn almost. If I use 1/4 throttle I build boost and seem to run fine without any noise. Where should I start with this??? I am lost and I really miss my fun car. I tried putting the flash back to stock that did nothing, I turned the boost down that did nothing, I upped and lowered the fuel + / - 3% with the AFC, still nothing.......

Please Help!!!

I would check to make sure you hooked the fuel pump up right since it sounds like the car was fine before you put the pump in. Also, the engine is not getting enough fuel which is causing the noise under heavy acceleration.

Def check the fuel pump install.

-Bink
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Your fuel pump could be going bad.

Why dont you post the calibration you are using to see if we can help with that.

Mitch M
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:30 AM
PPM

Should I post my *.hex file? If so how do I do that? I can Zip it and attach I guess.

Thanks for responding so quickly I wouldn't be driving it if it wasn't my everyday car... I should also mention that I just replaced my front differential as well if that could possibly have anything to do with it.... I have attached my fuel and ignition maps high and low octane.

Thanks so much for any help......
Attached Thumbnails Evo 8 Detonating / Sputtering horribly Please Help!!!-highoctanefuelmap.jpg   Evo 8 Detonating / Sputtering horribly Please Help!!!-lowoctanefuelmap.jpg   Evo 8 Detonating / Sputtering horribly Please Help!!!-highoctaneignitionmap1.jpg   Evo 8 Detonating / Sputtering horribly Please Help!!!-lowoctaneignitionmap1.jpg  
Old Dec 23, 2008, 10:32 AM
PPM

Should I just uninstall the AFC as soon as possible? If so what flash should I be using ? I still have my stock flash saved ofcourse... On another note, when I shift, the car over revs, my foot is totally off of the gas and it goes up another 700 - 1000 rpm before it begins to come back down like normal. Today when I came outside after leaving it running it was revving at 3k on its own. Weird..... Thanks in advance for any help. If there were any good tuners in my area I would go to them. I am getting my O2 sensor for christmas so I should in theory at least be able to tune it myself then.

Last edited by PPM; Dec 23, 2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:09 PM
PPM

Well I am updating my previous posts.

1. I checked the fuel pump install all is good, checked fuel pressure too.
2. Turned boost down to hold 18lbs and spike at 20lbs in 50 degree Farenheight no problem.
3. Temperature dropped 20 degrees detonation / sputtering is back.

Now my question is simple, if I have a stock turbo, and the limited mods that I have can't this be tuned for the weather? I would like to totally reprogram this ECU otherwise because I never had any problems with my Talon like this, same 4g63 and eventually the same mods with the exception of the turbo I have a GT35 to install this spring when I finish with my drive train mods.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 03:28 PM
PPM

Just an update. I checked my plugs to see if they were bad after all of the misfiring / detonating/ whatever, and they were fine, they have 5k miles on them. I disconnected my battery and checked for vacuum leaks, etc. All was fine, I reconnected the battery, started the car up and ran fine, no detonation in EvoScan detected up to 7500 1st through 3rd. I am going to tune this thing to run the boost I want to though. I will keep you posted.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Do a search on the Magnacore wires.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PPM
Just an update. I checked my plugs to see if they were bad after all of the misfiring / detonating/ whatever, and they were fine, they have 5k miles on them. I disconnected my battery and checked for vacuum leaks, etc. All was fine, I reconnected the battery, started the car up and ran fine, no detonation in EvoScan detected up to 7500 1st through 3rd. I am going to tune this thing to run the boost I want to though. I will keep you posted.
what is your plug gap?
Old Jan 13, 2009, 09:07 AM
PPM

Plug Gap is .028, the weather is colder and the problem is back..... Uhggggg.....

I am searching on the magnicore wires now. Thanks...
Old Jan 18, 2009, 05:58 PM

You might have accidentally disconnected one of your ground wires when you were doing the tranny work. Double check your grounds.