Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Anti Lag System

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2003, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti Lag System

While i was reading Autronic's documentations i found out that they have 3 different version of the ALS.

After i downloaded their software i tried to find out the ALS menu but i couldn't find it.

Does anyone knows how to set up the ALS?

IS there a way to have a swithch on the dash to eable and disenable the ALS?

I only need the ALS on when i am autocrossing, and iplan to keep it off on the street.

Can anyone help me?
Old Jan 2, 2004, 06:30 PM

Autronic

Where did you get the ecu?
Old Feb 4, 2004, 10:59 PM

maybe this will help a little?

http://www.beninca.com.au/antilag.htm

EDIT: I'm also looking into an anti-lag system since I might be buying an EVO soon and would probably participate in autocross or rallycross. Is there a certian aftermarket exhaust system (which is legal on street cars) that can deal better with the streeses of an anti-lag system than the stock evo exhaust? If i decide to get a turbo upgrade eventually I would probably get an IHI turbo as well, ive heard that the compressor wheels on some IHI turbos are built with anti-lag capability in mind. This true?

Last edited by awddrifter; Feb 4, 2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old May 15, 2004, 11:12 PM

I am not sure with the evo pnp ecu but with the wrx pnp unit the program needs to be loaded and a switch is wired up from the ecu (with the wrx my tuner uses parts of the factory wiring), good tuners with experience with autronics should be able to know or ask on the forums on www.autronic.com
I see really no point using the AL as the power is more on/off (I prefer to have the smooth progressive power) also with there being almost no vacuum the brakes lose assistance from the booster which my catch some ppl by surprise.

Awddrifter: with AL there is a lot more heat in the exhaust which can cause cracking on some stainless steel systems and exhaust manifolds, mainly cracking is common on the manifold. Most exhausts will work fine with AL it’s just the cat which does not like the AL the heat and unburnt fuel causes it to break up (takes a while though)sometimes it will just blow out or can partially block the exhaust which can be noticed with reduced boost.
with the IHI turbos I don’t think they were built with AL in mind but I have a IHI VF23 and use AL and they can take quite abit ive known a VF28 (the stock version 5 sti turbo) to take over 100,000kms with about the last 40,000km been subjected to lots of antilag and still work fine, but it will reduce the life of the turbo.

Last edited by sethor; May 15, 2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 05:17 PM

Any exhaust system that retains a normal type catalyst will not survive much ALS use. There are specific motorsport cats (as used on most well prepped rally cars around the world) available that can handle it, but they cost some serious coin.

Brandon
Old Aug 25, 2004, 05:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I lag without cat, so...
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:34 PM

the cracks, overheat and problemas in the exaust dpends on the ALS setup, but if it is wright it is awesome!! it hapen the same whit the catalist, if the als produce an overhet it melt the cells and obstuct them, so you must make a setup of the ALS whith a lot of fuel for cool down the things.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:47 PM

???

Are you kidding? Fuel is exactly what makes anti lag work. Anyone who doesnt think ALS will damage your exhaust system including you cat and turbo go ahead and run it on your daily driver... then let us know how it goes.

Brandon
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Just Remmember, when your running anit-lag, you are chancing exhaust manifold melt down, it will ruin your cat if you have one, and its not good for your turbo (the high heat)
most ALS have a switch on the dash to turn it on
I researched it, i can awnser some questions
Old Oct 3, 2004, 08:13 PM

Nez136 you are so right about the anti-lag. it should be used for racing purposes ONLY. It does shorten the life of your turbo. the anti-lag switch also controls the launch control.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 08:39 PM

you can run different levels of anti lag, so as not to cause a melt down

depending on how aggresive you want it to be will determine not only what type of catalyst to use, but also where it must be located

the anti lag can be set up in many different ways, it is a wives tale to make a blanket statement that it will melt things (maybe that was true in the early days -with no control over how agressive the ALS was), perhaps people are repeating semi-ancient rumors.(LOL could that be possible on the internet! LOL )

i mention this for those who are deciding on an an engine management system, the autronic works well for ALS,however i would have a professional set it up and explain it's use....if you are not totally confident.

www.union7.net
Old Aug 1, 2005, 07:28 PM

this seems to be an older thread but i think that some people would like to have the knowledge

try contacting the owner of the site www.turbocelica.com, he's driving a Alltrac celica and uses the Autronic SMC, and the antilag feature

he should be able to help you setup the system for yourself, he seemed awfully nice when i spoke with him before
Old Aug 3, 2005, 09:14 PM

I am looking at AL to I am going with an autronic soon.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I have a mild anti-lag on 2 step alone. I adjusted W U enrichment & Ign mod1 and build 15psi at 5000 rpm
Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

; ;/ how did you get antilag?... pics please?

Quick Reply: Anti Lag System