Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Basic Tuning Info

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Basic Tuning Info

I am looking into logging my Evo and possible doing some tuning later this year and currently trying to formulate my budget and plan for this step. So far I plan on getting Evoscan and a 1.3u cable from them and ECUflash. I have a few questions and after searching for a few hours I can't find clear answers for what I wanting to do.

I will be getting a laptop dedicated for logging and tuning. Do I need a high RAM and fast processor for this? What ports do I have to have? I am currently looking at this laptop:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-1...&skuId=5091163

I want to have the cable in the Evo at all times (excess will be in the glove box when not tuning or logging). I want to be able to have the laptop in the passenger seat when logging and tuning. What is the length of the cable and do I need an extension?

As for the wideband o2 what works best with Evoscan? Can the wideband be installed on the test pipe or just before it? When I bought the Evo it had AMS tbe and I noticed a bung already in that location.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 08:16 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
I use a 12 year old laptop running windows XP for logging and tuning, so you definitely dont need anything powerful. You will need 2 usb ports, one for the 1.3u cable and one for the wideband. Evoscan supports several different widebands so really its more about our budget and features your looking for. I have a Zeitronix ZT2 that has been very good to me, but they will all be fine for what your doing. Installing the wideband into the test pipe is fine. The main concern is that the wideband needs to be at least 16 inches away from the turbo. You should also look into purchasing and Omni 4-bar map sensor so you can log boost pressure. The 1.3u cable is pretty long so no extension needed. Depending on what wideband you get you may need a USB-serial converter to plug it into your laptop and the length you will need will depend on what wideband you choose.
The following users liked this post:
wc351 (Aug 16, 2016)
Old Aug 16, 2016, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info, it helps me to map out what I will be doing.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a Windows tablet with a USB port on Amazon and works great but my wideband is wired to the ecu.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 06:40 PM
JKX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a regular laptop will work, evoscan isn't that intense. Also use youtube for tuning vids, TONS of stuff over there!