Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

ECM part no. (EVO X Final Edition)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECM part no. (EVO X Final Edition)

Tried the search. But I'm looking at an ECM replacement for a 2015 Final Edition GSR and needed some Part no. The factory ECM is 1860C817 on the outside of the ECM case. But the replacement part no. is 1860C036 which is shared among several N/A and various 2015 Lancers (ES, Evolution Final Edition, Evolution GSR, Evolution MR, Ralliart). I can reflash so it's not a problem what the replacement ROM image is........or maybe not. That is my question, would I be safe to reflash this Mitsu replacement ECM even though the Part No. don't match the factory ECM?

I got a P016A (Fail Safe Monitor) during a long 4-5th gear pull with the AYC faulting as well. Car was pulling fine up until this point. An engine restart and all was well for a bit. Now I have the P060E (ECM malfunction). Seems to idle fine.....then ECM faults and terrible idle......then idle fine.....etc. Then finally the code comes up. Only change was to a Synapse Diverter valve in the last couple days. Engine compression is 150,145, 145, 145 (passenger to driver side), idle is 20 inHg. @ 750 rpm when not faulting, then drops to 500 when it does. Spark plugs look bang on with .022, .021, .021, .021" gap(s). Thought maybe cam timing jumped but it's not a consistent idle lope.

The ECM has been reflashed about 30-40 times previously. Anyway, if anyone has any input on whether I fragged the ECM or other sensor or the P/N question I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Mods:

2015 EVO X FE GSR 5 spd
AEM Intake
Synapse Diverter Valve
AMS FMIC
ETS Upper/Lower charge pipes
AMS Downpipe
ETS HF cat
ETS V2 catback exhaust
Grimmspeed 3-port boost solenoid
ECUflash (open source)

Gene

Last edited by pboglio; Aug 28, 2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 06:07 AM

I had a follow up P0606 code (Control Module Processor) after an ECM reset. Symptoms were normal idling then a drop idle and an engine malfunction warning display. A couple of those and it threw the code.

I conducted an ignition coil resistance check and although not recommended they did all show equal resistances across the terminals. I then ran a spark plug test by grounding the plug ground strap to the engine lift bracket while cranking with the injectors disabled and detected a weak spark in (1) plug.

What fixed the problem was a new set of NGK ILKR8E6 (stock were DILKR8E6). I also replaced the throttle actuator control motor relay, Injector Relay, Starter Relay, MFI Relay, and Fuel pump relay with the orange Panasonic P/N 8627A049 (4x) and grey MR400709.

The series of codes that kicked it off were P061A & P1242 during a high boost run, then engine restart cleared those which never came back. Then with a consistent funky dropped idle I had the P060E, followed P0606 which would consistently come back on every ECM reset.

I'd go back and put the stock relays or plugs in to find the exact root cause but I think the plugs were the culprit. Hope this helps anyone else and prevents someone from spending $700 on a new PCM when it ended up being something alot simpler.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 02:09 PM

Had a P1242 code come back yet again and the car went into limp mode straight away. This was with the new spark plugs. They ran great for (1) run, then I had the idea of doing a compression test and when re-torquing I heard a "crack" on (1) plug and that spark plug specifically threw a code, of course I pulled it and ran one of the old plugs. At that point I had to throw in the original 20k mile plugs plus (1) new one that was over-torqued but supposedly still functional. It ran great for 1/2 day and then I had the fun of limping home 20 miles due to severe misfire. I was actually driving to the dealership to get another new set but this time the DILKR8B6 plugs.

Long story short, I over-torqued the (1st) set of new plugs (i.e. ILKR8E6) to about 230 in-lbs and almost all went to failure with severe misfires. Finally I reviewed the torque specs and adjusted for 130 in-lbs w/antiseize with the (2nd) new set of DILKR8B6. At this point the car fired right back up perfectly on the subsequent datalogging run.

So......I'm still testing the car to make sure it's not some short in the ECM driver's or a bad ignition coil or something.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:01 AM

Follow up to all the problems I had.

The latest round of car problems happened on my way out to Monee, IL., stranding me for a good 2 hours while I waited for my g/f to pick me up. I ran down to a Menards and bought some tools to swap in new ignition coils I had in the trunk at the time. An engine restart after 15 minutes seemed to clear the limp mode but at this point I wasn't confident with the car. After swapping the new coils in I didn't trip the "hard limp mode" on the 1 hour trip back but I was taking no chances. Once I got the car back I used ECUFlash and deactived DTC P1241 Torque Monitor and the problem hasn't come back since.

I attributed the problems I had to the Synapse BOV install and setup. Seems to produce some funky lift off stumble and due to running the "B" port only, a little compressor flutter as well. The datalogs are picking up a MAF disturbance/shockwave which looks like compressor flutter, and the ECM isn't liking it. Had I run the "A+B" port I might not have this these problems, but the valve with "A+B" port cracks at 10" vac vs. 20" so I didn't like the lazy part throttle response with the valve hanging open. To be honest, the stock BOV is the smart move. But I had some terrible fitment with the stock BOV and AEM intake causing some rubbing issues, which the Synapse solves due to the smaller valve body size.

I prefer not bypassing an ECM safety but it was becoming extremely unsafe hitting limp mode on the expressway. Here's the link for the actual fix I researched that helped me diagnose the issue.
Cheers.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22140

Last edited by pboglio; Sep 9, 2017 at 10:08 AM.