Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Overboosting from the cold

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2017, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overboosting from the cold

Hi everyone. Since the temperature really dropped here in the UK, I've been getting some overboosting. I mapped it to 1.8bar (27psi or so) in the summer, and it was holding pretty solid in all gears until it started to taper off at about 5k-5500. Now it's hitting 1.9bar+ which is obviously not good on standard rods. Is this something I should be using the error correction to sort out like it was doing with the boost variation in different gears, or should I just lower the wgdc? I did actually increase the values in the positive side of the error correction table (the negative side is off atm), and could see it clearly interfering with the boost sometimes, but its not helping with the spike at all and is still overboosting a lot. I realise a lot of you won't have to deal with our minus temps so may not have this issue, but any ideas are appreciated.

I'm on standard ix ecu running ecuflash btw

Thanks
Old Dec 25, 2017, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts
Yes you should make sure the negative adjustment side of the Boost Error Correction table is set up correctly before you blow your motor. If there is no negative adjustment there is nothing to stop boost increasing.

If you convert to a Tephra V7 ROM like 88590715, there is an intake air temp WGDC correction table that you can use to control temperature related overboost. This reduces WGDC as it gets colder.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi. I have the error correction table set so that the ecu can reduce the boost but not raise it. This seemed to be successfully sorting out the higher boost in higher gears, but not the higher boost because of the cold air. I'm running v5 88570008 but am struggling to get the v7 version. I tried one of the AUDM roms still available for download as I was told it would work, but he car wouldn't start with it. If you got a v7 rom that might work, I'll happily try it