Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Spark Tech Sequential Ignition on Evo VIII MR Issue

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Tech Sequential Ignition on Evo VIII MR Issue

Hi,

I bought a Spark Tech ignition system for my Evo back last year and gave it to my tuner to fit and map etc. He had nothing but problems with the kit on my car. As soon as the car revved up and came on boost it would misfire really badly and cause all sorts of knock readings. He tried my kit on another car and it worked fine, he tried another known working kit on my car and the result was the same, misfires.

The car runs MoTeC M800 ECU and my tuner is known for being one of the best around so I have no issue with his abilities. He spent ages tripping to figure it out but to no avail. I’m wondering if anybody has come across an issue like this before? I’m now back on a Spoolin’ Up COP kit now running sequential and it works fine, but it seems my car can not handle the increased power from the CDi kit. I’d like to get this sorted because I’ve currently got a £1600 ignition system in the boot of the car and not on the engine
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:14 PM

Anybody?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 194 Likes on 182 Posts
Im not familiar with your ECUs but it sounds like there's a problem with your car's wiring. All I can think of is your connectors could be worn and not providing a solid contact. Try adding a ground and see if that helps. Then try jumping power wires to each coil. GL
The following users liked this post:
Tony Turbo (Apr 4, 2018)
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:10 PM

Thanks for the reply. He added more grounds and replaced the current ones. He is thinking the wiring too. The car is very sensitive to idle adjustments for some reason too. It’s running DBW and the slightest little thing can make a huge difference. Everything works on the car though which does t point to an obvious problem.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Turbo
Hi,

I bought a Spark Tech ignition system for my Evo back last year and gave it to my tuner to fit and map etc. He had nothing but problems with the kit on my car. As soon as the car revved up and came on boost it would misfire really badly and cause all sorts of knock readings. He tried my kit on another car and it worked fine, he tried another known working kit on my car and the result was the same, misfires.

The car runs MoTeC M800 ECU and my tuner is known for being one of the best around so I have no issue with his abilities. He spent ages tripping to figure it out but to no avail. I’m wondering if anybody has come across an issue like this before? I’m now back on a Spoolin’ Up COP kit now running sequential and it works fine, but it seems my car can not handle the increased power from the CDi kit. I’d like to get this sorted because I’ve currently got a £1600 ignition system in the boot of the car and not on the engine

Depending on the year/model there are certain M800 units which are incompatible with M&W capacitors, The ecu's internal transistors type and activation sequence does not allow for optimum triggering of the M&W and collapsing of the magnetic field at the right timing which creates irregularities in the combustion process.

Craig's plug and play systems for the evo, use the existing oem harness, the same one your spoolin up COP system uses, which works fine. There is no need for additional grounding of the sparktech systems, and if there was a grounding problem or a corroded/damaged wire, plug,ecu pin, the problem would appear with the spoolin up COP system also.

Marios
Old Apr 5, 2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Evo8cy
Depending on the year/model there are certain M800 units which are incompatible with M&W capacitors, The ecu's internal transistors type and activation sequence does not allow for optimum triggering of the M&W and collapsing of the magnetic field at the right timing which creates irregularities in the combustion process.

Craig's plug and play systems for the evo, use the existing oem harness, the same one your spoolin up COP system uses, which works fine. There is no need for additional grounding of the sparktech systems, and if there was a grounding problem or a corroded/damaged wire, plug,ecu pin, the problem would appear with the spoolin up COP system also.

Marios
Hey Marios,

Thanks for the information, is there anything that can be done to “fix” the issue? I called MoTeC today and they hadn’t heard of the issue but asked me to put it all into an email so they can pass it around their technical team. That might get me somewhere but can see it taking time.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 08:45 AM

Up, just for any more input.