Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Help with Bricked ECU (ECUflash or Evoscan solutions)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2018, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Help with Bricked ECU (ECUflash or Evoscan solutions)

Okay, here's the setup. Went to reflash my vehicle the other day with Evoscan. I always let the car run for a little to make sure there's enough battery power to flash. I also usually do a couple logs to make sure there's a good connection to the ECU. No problems so far. Then I go to load my ROM. Error about halfway through. Fine, try again, same thing. So I stop. I have a buddy come over so hookup some jumper cables, assuming my battery wasn't making it through the flash. Nope. Getting the "no response to any known code, interface close" error.

I am 99% positive I bricked the ECU. Could be my cable finally crapped out. A new one is on the way. Assuming that is not the issue though, my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, is there is no way to remedy this with Evoscan. So my option seems to be to reflash with ECUflash, while running an unlocker. Does that sound right? AND, if so, can someone walk me through the steps with links to appropriate files? For example, I tried to open my ROM with ECUflash, but I get an error. I think I am missing an XML. My tuner told me it should be the "94917 variant." I have no idea what that means, where I get it, or where I put it. My skills with tuning start and stop with logging/flashing. Can someone in the Bay Area help? Here's the other fun part, the car is in a basement parking garage, so I can't remote anyone into my computer while I work on this.

Please help!
Old Jul 2, 2018, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Here is what I am seeing now.
Attached Thumbnails Help with Bricked ECU (ECUflash or Evoscan solutions)-photo945.jpg  
Old Jul 3, 2018, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
check voltage with a volt meter.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Voltage wasn't the issue. Also turned out not the be bricked. Just a crappy 1.3 cable. My new Tactrix 2.0 worked just fine. Relieved it wasn't a bigger issue, but also annoyed these EvoScan cables don't even last two years and a couple dozen flashes/logs. Thanks to everyone that chimed in.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aamoedo
Voltage wasn't the issue. Also turned out not the be bricked. Just a crappy 1.3 cable. My new Tactrix 2.0 worked just fine. Relieved it wasn't a bigger issue, but also annoyed these EvoScan cables don't even last two years and a couple dozen flashes/logs. Thanks to everyone that chimed in.
Im still using my original 1.3 cable I purchased from tactrix its 13 years old....
Old Jul 7, 2018, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
Im still using my original 1.3 cable I purchased from tactrix its 13 years old....
Cool?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
I just got my tactrix 1.3 maybe 2 months ago and occasionally, evoscan tells me it wont read my ECU but ecu flash picks it up everytime, no idea why.