Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Tuning help?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2023, 06:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tuning help?

Hello tuning wizards. I FINALLY got my evo running after 2.5 years dead from a spin bearing. I upgraded the fuel pump and injectors incase I got the itch to go E85 since I relocated to Texas and can get it now. I jumped in the ROM to change the injector scaling since I needed to and figured I would look at the fuel and timing maps.

I know I desperately need help with tuning my car now because I have no idea who tuned this before but this does not look anything like any map I’ve seen before.

im definitely willing to learn and figured I could make a few changes if needed but I feel like 10+ degree timing changes cell to cell is wrong.

help?

Old Jul 16, 2023, 08:56 AM

Ok.

So I have decided to start from scratch because this tune looks like a blown motor waiting to happen - again.
Where I am going to start:
As a reference for mods:
BBK Full turbo
XSPower O2 housting & downpipe with Apexi 3" exhaust
Kelford 272 cams
ETS UICP, LICP, intake and IC
FIC 1200s, Radium fuel rail, FPD, FPR and AEM 320lph pump
OMNI 4-bar
GM 3-port.
I may be missing some things.

I have already set manual fuel pressure to 43PSI w/o the reference and it runs where I would expect at idle with the reference.

I have a full DEFI gauge set to visually check boost, oil pressure, fuel pressure and exhaust temps just in case and an AEM wideband set up for logging.

I am going to use Tephra V7.

I have set the MAP scaling to align with Mr.Fred's post on setup and scaling:

0.51 25
0.90 49
1.29 70
1.68 96
2.07 120
2.46 144
2.85 170
3.24 195
3.63 255

I have also updated to relating MAP tables per Mr.Fred.

I am going to scale the injectors here as a start and tune based on fuel trims:
latency values:
<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--> 4.69 4.08
7.03 3.07
9.38 2.06
11.72 1.46
14.06 1.13
16.41 0.94
18.68 0.72

With the Kelfords I am going to adjust timing at idle to +7 but leave the rest near factory spec to begin.

Looking for some other initial guidance. I *think* that will let the car idle ok and I can work out drivability from there. I do have questions on scaling the MAF since I have changed the full intake system up to the throttle body and don't quite know where to start on the WGDC maps.

A lot of the existing tune has flat numbers for all values and weird steps in values cell to cell that tell me I am going to end up changing everything, so ANY guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!
The following users liked this post:
MicRX (Sep 11, 2023)
Old Apr 18, 2024, 02:27 PM

Ok everyone, I could use some help now and I know there is something that I am missing so please enlighten me.

Below are my ignition and fuel maps. I have also posted my Injector scaling and latency tables and a copy of my 2 most recent logs.

I am still running this car what I feel is conservatively on fuel though timing is I think close to the landing point. My concern is battling this part-throttle knock. I have left my fuel so rich because this is a persistent issue however retarding the timing is not showing an improvement. Where I get concerned is that the knock consistently comes in between 2500-4k in the 80-120 load range. I am picking up some knock elsewhere and it appears that I am getting some significant shift knock when I go WOT and slam gears (I have read this is a problem) though I will say I tend to drive like a grandma so this is more for logging purposes to get the tune right. I daily this Evo, I don't race it.

What am I missing here? What am I doing wrong?

For the injector scaling, my fuel trims continue to show as +5 or higher and it seems weird that I would be putting the scaling so low for 1200cc injectors.

Please help.

Thank you