Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

Opened loop or Closed loop boost control

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opened loop or Closed loop boost control

should I go Opened loop boost control or closed loopt boost control...

Can anyone tell me. which one is more for the performance and how they different???
Old Sep 9, 2004, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You want CLB.. In open loop boost you are setting the solinoid duty cycle, in the closed boost map you are setting a target boost and the utec will change the duty cycyle to hit that target boost..
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Spec C
You want CLB.. In open loop boost you are setting the solinoid duty cycle, in the closed boost map you are setting a target boost and the utec will change the duty cycyle to hit that target boost..
hmm.. so which one is better for power???
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Personally i would use CLB..
Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Spec C
Personally i would use CLB..
On manual, to use CLB, "install the optional map sensor" what is this?

I need to buy something?
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its a GM 3bar boost sensor.. I think the manual has the part #'s required for making it yourself, or you can call TurboXS and have them send it to you. The MAP sensor is definitely worthwhile regardless of if you use it with Closed loop boost or not.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Its a GM 3bar boost sensor.. I think the manual has the part #'s required for making it yourself, or you can call TurboXS and have them send it to you. The MAP sensor is definitely worthwhile regardless of if you use it with Closed loop boost or not.
Yea Map is a big Plus!
Old Sep 9, 2004, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Plus, you can new vent your BOV!!!! Isn't that exciting???!!!??hahaha..... By the way, anybody has any experience with a Map sensor for the utec? I'm getting my utec soon and looking forward to swap the MAF for the MAP sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by masterevo
Plus, you can new vent your BOV!!!! Isn't that exciting???!!!??hahaha..... By the way, anybody has any experience with a Map sensor for the utec? I'm getting my utec soon and looking forward to swap the MAF for the MAP sensor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Umm... You're not swapping the MAP for the MAF you run both.. The utec is not a speed density based EMS "yet"
Old Sep 9, 2004, 05:57 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep, Spec C said it.. Currently the UTEC doesn't do a speed density conversion. I am fairly certain we'll see it at some point in the future..

the MAP sensor at the moment gives you the ability to log your boost pressure, and work with closed loop boost control..

However, at the moment, although you can use the MAP sensor for the reference signal for the tuning, it is not yet capable of removing the MAF sensor and running without it.
Old Sep 9, 2004, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Yep, Spec C said it.. Currently the UTEC doesn't do a speed density conversion. I am fairly certain we'll see it at some point in the future..

the MAP sensor at the moment gives you the ability to log your boost pressure, and work with closed loop boost control..

However, at the moment, although you can use the MAP sensor for the reference signal for the tuning, it is not yet capable of removing the MAF sensor and running without it.
Loggin map is BIG in tuning.. It really lets you get into tuning for spool up and low end.. You can run quite lean on low boost situations for optimum gas mileage for crusing and to keep the heat in the pipes