Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Stage 2 Turbo Cams

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stage 2 Turbo Cams

This is mainly directed towards RRM but some input would be appreciated...i was thinking, is there a way that RRM could make a turbo cam for our car, compatible with our car? or install the RPW cams and find out if they are able to show gains and maintain reliability on a RRM powere car? I think this would be huge mod if we could maintain our reliability. What'd ya say?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

id be in for one
Old Mar 8, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

How bout you guys give us a turbo cam, and we'll install and dyno to see if it got good gains... ... sorry guys, there is too much liability when it comes to cams... nor is the demand that high, also price will be high.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

I dont understand the line of thought here.... are you worried about an RPW cam on an RRM turbo-itted Lancer? Not to sound mean or anything but cams are not turbo kit specific. There are TONS of other models running RPW cams with custom setups and what not. Because it is made by the competitor, doesnt mean it wont run with the car... that is like not wanting to install an Apex'i turbo timer in a GReddy powered car. Again not meaning to sound like an ***, but regardless of what turbo kit you have, you WILL experience excellent and reliable gains with an RPW cam provided you have all the supporting mods.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Dave at RPW (mitsiman) is an excellent resource. He may have chimed in on threads similar to this one, a search is in order. If you don't find the answer you're looking for, PM him with specific questions about changing timing, fuel trims, etc. You'll need a fuel management controller (eManage is the RPW preferred piggyback) and the timing harness (maybe ) but airquez is right about the compatibility of competitors parts..... it's just a matter of figuring out who's willing to support the new mod: RRM because it's their turbo kit, or RPW because it's their cam.

Good luck
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AirQuez
I dont understand the line of thought here.... are you worried about an RPW cam on an RRM turbo-itted Lancer? Not to sound mean or anything but cams are not turbo kit specific. There are TONS of other models running RPW cams with custom setups and what not. Because it is made by the competitor, doesnt mean it wont run with the car... that is like not wanting to install an Apex'i turbo timer in a GReddy powered car. Again not meaning to sound like an ***, but regardless of what turbo kit you have, you WILL experience excellent and reliable gains with an RPW cam provided you have all the supporting mods.
ok well, not to sound like an *** but, read my post.

I asked if RRM would either make a cam OR install an RPW cam on a RRM turboed car to make sure that the reliability is still there.

I'm not a dumbass, i realize that you can put parts on a car that arn't from the same manufacturer, so thanks. But when your running a kit that calls for very specific parts and your boosting on a motor that wasn't supposed to be boosted, i don't know what changed the lift and duration of that same motor might result in as far as reliability and performance. maybe if instead of "trying not to sound mean" you can explain to me why this in no way will effect the reliability of my car? oh and you can tell me which cam i should buy so that it will greatly effect my daily driving but still provide for some gains? i figure this will be no problem for you, thanks. oh yeah and last i checked, i don't know any lancers on stock internals running rpw cam. oh yeah, and what supporting mods would you consider supporting of cams on my car?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by engineerboy
Dave at RPW (mitsiman) is an excellent resource. He may have chimed in on threads similar to this one, a search is in order. If you don't find the answer you're looking for, PM him with specific questions about changing timing, fuel trims, etc. You'll need a fuel management controller (eManage is the RPW preferred piggyback) and the timing harness (maybe ) but airquez is right about the compatibility of competitors parts..... it's just a matter of figuring out who's willing to support the new mod: RRM because it's their turbo kit, or RPW because it's their cam.

Good luck
thank you for talking to me like another human being.

you pretty much hit it on the nose of what im trying to figure out, basically is the piggyback from RRM going to be able to be tuned in order for me to adjust for fuel and/or timing changes. i'm investing in these parts so i want to make sure that i will be able to use them, and i don't really want to go spend all the money on an e-manage. I will talk to dave, thanks once again.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

alright, i just talked to dave from RPW and he basically said he wouldn't use the roadrace stage 2 kit to run RPW cams becuase of the inability to alter both fuel and timing with their piggyback. and the last ive heard, correct me if im wrong, but the rrm piggyback cannot alter timing. soooo thank you airquez, for blowing up my car. i didn't mean that to sound mean tho.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

From what I understand the RRM piggy does advance the timing, after a fashion. From what I've been told, they remove enough fuel to have the ECU advance the timing a couple degrees up top. However, your assumption is right, you cannot alter the timing with the RRM piggy as purchased from RRM.... maybe if you could get your hands on the tuning software

I still haven't found anyone who has installed the eManage timing harness and knows that they did it right. Boe says he's tuned a couple cars with the eManage preinstalled with the timing harness, but he hasn't done one himself. I took info from 3 sources, put them together and I think I got it right, but my PDA scantool (which reads timing among other parameters the ECU keeps track of) doesn't show the changes I'm making. One guy's guess is that the crank angle sensor isn't picking that up, but I don't know about that..... I do notice more power though. What I'm getting at is this: the eManage is certainly a direction to look, but until we have a definitive wiring diagram on the timing harness, it's not going to be any better than the RRM piggy in terms of timing adjustments.

Plus, in order to do fuel management in the proportions you're talking about, with the level of adjustment you'll want, or to do timing, you need the support tool. That's another $40- $150 depending on who you can find. Then you need a laptop to run the support tool software.... it's a piece that can add up in terms of $$$, but I think it's well worth it.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

RRM's piggy does not alter timing....the piggy will alter a/f readings to change fuel delivery
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

the piggy itself does not. However, the ECU compensates for the leaner fuel mix by advancing the timing a couple degrees near the top of the power band. Unless Boe lied to me when I asked him about it .....
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by engineerboy
I took info from 3 sources, put them together and I think I got it right, but my PDA scantool (which reads timing among other parameters the ECU keeps track of) doesn't show the changes I'm making. One guy's guess is that the crank angle sensor isn't picking that up, but I don't know about that.....
aren't you using the datalogger in the emanage? that should give you real data instead of the fake stuff from the pda.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

i got the RPW stg 2 cam with my custom set up and it makes a difference
in fact i just installed the whole rpw cyl head. the timing is advanced about 2-3 degrees. and i have the aem ems. i tuned at 260+whp with an safcII on the stock
cyl head and RRM ecu not piggyback.. then installed AEM ems and RPW head annd hit 300+whp unfortunately i didnt dyno with just the cyl head upgrade
Old Mar 9, 2005, 06:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If OMAR was able to accomplish that with the SAFC then you can accomplish it better with the piggy. Only thing is that the piggy will need to be custom tuned for the application.

The piggy has over 800 cells of adjustment and is more finite than the SAFC could ever be... thus the driveability issues and part boost issues OMAR had with the SAFC won't be had with the piggy back. You'll get good gas mileage as well (like stock or better) with the piggy but crappy with SAFC since it will run rich in a lot of areas.

All in all i know it would work... i had plans to do it. You just need it custom tuned.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hotshot940
ok well, not to sound like an *** but, read my post.

I asked if RRM would either make a cam OR install an RPW cam on a RRM turboed car to make sure that the reliability is still there.

I'm not a dumbass, i realize that you can put parts on a car that arn't from the same manufacturer, so thanks. But when your running a kit that calls for very specific parts and your boosting on a motor that wasn't supposed to be boosted, i don't know what changed the lift and duration of that same motor might result in as far as reliability and performance. maybe if instead of "trying not to sound mean" you can explain to me why this in no way will effect the reliability of my car? oh and you can tell me which cam i should buy so that it will greatly effect my daily driving but still provide for some gains? i figure this will be no problem for you, thanks. oh yeah and last i checked, i don't know any lancers on stock internals running rpw cam. oh yeah, and what supporting mods would you consider supporting of cams on my car?

Dude, I read your post. I didnt realize you were asking RRM personally. I mean you oculd have used the PM button. I was really trying to be helpful but instead your childish mentality has come to the forefront. Nonetheless, despite the immature vibes I get from you, I will continue to act like an adult.

For one, I realize that when you are running a specialized kit, you do need specialized part.... we all are. What i am trying to say, if you have any sort of reliable kit, providing you have the supporting mods to accommodate a camshaft (which would include stiffer springs for a stage 2 cam, a variable piggyback like Emanage, cam gear to dial in teh cam etc etc), regardless of the kit, you will see reliabe gains if you are tuned. I can count SEVERAL miragers running RPW cams, both NA and boosted. If you want a cam that wont really affect your daily driving, then get a Stage 1. Stage 2 has a much loppier idle than stage 1. And like you said, I too dont know of any Lancers on stock internals running cams (partially because I am not a Lancer guy and I am not on here much, and partially, I only know very few of the Lancer guys on a more personal level), but like I said, granted it is 0.2L smaller, I know of miragers running cams on stock internals.

Quick Reply: Stage 2 Turbo Cams