Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

Aquamist - water cooling to delete IC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aquamist - water cooling to delete IC

Hey guys, I've been searching and can't find any really good answers to this question.

I talked to Rock a while back (like a year) about turboing my OZ with the IT VII conversion. Anyone who knows this conversion knows that there isn't room for a FMIC let alone the piping to reach the IC if you happened to get one small enough.

I was searching other options for running Non IC and came across water injection. Same stuff the Evo guys use to run water/meth. I was wondering how safe it would be to run on our Lancers considering the weak bottom end. I figure running all water, no meth has to be safer than running Non IC. Any input would be great, thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I think you'd be better off running a non-ic kit from RRM. The problem I have with water/meth injection is that first off you need to be tuned for it. Secondly, if you run out of water/meth for whatever reason (tank leaks, you forget, etc.) you can kiss your motor goodbye. I'm not sure on what kind of stress it puts on the motor. Lastly, the install is a pain, you'd need to find a suitable tank to hold the water/meth, mount it, and hook all the lines up.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

I see what your saying, and it makes sense, but living in Las Vegas I see a problem running non-intercooled. Do you know if it would be possible to run only water? Maybe you saying that it's not a good idea is a sign, because I've been contemplating giving up on the Lancer and saving for an Evo, or turboing the Lancer. Hmmm.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Well let me put it this way, I wouldn't personally do it. Most of the people I know using a meth/water injection also have an intercooler. I think the RIPP supercharger used a methanol injector system but I'm not sure how efficient it was. With the amount of boost you'd be running I can't see it being worth it personally. Just doing a quick search, I found this article http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/WaterInjection.html. It doesn't mention at all people using meth/water injection alone, ie. without an intercooler.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I was reading up on Snow Performance's website and all the examples they gave seemed to be on cars that are running intercoolers. It only said once that watercooled would reduce air temps, but running with an intercooler produce an even cooler charge. The only time I've even heard of just watercooled no intercooler was in an Import Tuner or something a while back, saying that not many people do watercooled since intercooled is more popular and doesn't need to be monitored as often.

Hmm, question answered. Hopefully this helps someone and I wasn't just sounding like an idiot.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

No it's certainly an interesting idea, maybe someone will do it one day.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I'm not completely done weighing in the pros and cons of saving for the Evo or turboing the Lancer, so that someone may be me. It would just seriously bug me running non IC in Vegas heat. My mom said it hit high 120s this summer while I was out here for school.

If I do go turbo and end up doing this, I'll be sure to post for all of EvoM to see!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

If you can afford the evo, get the evo. If not, a turboed lancer is still a fun car.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by eehjay
I see what your saying, and it makes sense, but living in Las Vegas I see a problem running non-intercooled.
Honestly, why?

Ambient air temperature doesn't mean much when you're boosting. A compressor wheel spinning at 100,000 rpm is going to heat up the air to "pretty freaking hot." Doesn't matter if that air started out 10 degrees or 120. AND turbo systems are run by air from the exhaust of the car. Last I checked, that air was pretty hot too.

Being in Vegas is not a reasonable excuse to me. But maybe I'm nuts. But I know that RRM is located in Southern Cali and they have no problem selling non-IC kits to the locals...
Old Sep 12, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

top mount intercooler? subie style, or a small side mount intercooler like the DSMs have should be plenty, just throwing some ideas
Old Sep 12, 2007, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

I think both were discussed before too. Side mounts would be difficult and a top mount wouldn't be a big advantage, it gets heat soaked very quickly.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Honestly, why?

Ambient air temperature doesn't mean much when you're boosting. A compressor wheel spinning at 100,000 rpm is going to heat up the air to "pretty freaking hot." Doesn't matter if that air started out 10 degrees or 120. AND turbo systems are run by air from the exhaust of the car. Last I checked, that air was pretty hot too.

Being in Vegas is not a reasonable excuse to me. But maybe I'm nuts. But I know that RRM is located in Southern Cali and they have no problem selling non-IC kits to the locals...
It was moreso the performance difference between intercooled and non intercooled. The way I was thinking was that someone in Vegas where it is always hot and the heat gets to the low 100s would have less performance from a non intercooled kit than someone in say, the New England area, where is does get hot, but in my mind not as hot as Las Vegas. The idea of running non intercooled isn't really a "good" idea to me at all, regardless of geographical location, I just feel that in desert climates would yield even less performance than cooler regions. Granted there are a ton of people running non intercooled, and I have nothing against them doing it, but I'd rather have the gain and safety of an intercooler.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 09:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want the power gains and safety of ICed, then by all means go for it.

But don't use the weather as a reason not to buy it.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Silens
top mount intercooler? subie style, or a small side mount intercooler like the DSMs have should be plenty, just throwing some ideas
A dsm side mount actully fit rather well for me behind the drivers side vent. Works especially well if u relocate your battery. Unfortunatly mine was damaged and is now usless.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Why don't you be one of the first ones to install a rear mounted turbo??? No intercooler needed because with the turbo installed outside of the engine bay, temperatures are cooled down just like you had in intercooler.