Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

CVT "safety mode" issues + turbo kit???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote

Last edited by dsrttigr; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 04:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dsrttigr
cool, im guessing the 1st time u put the turbo to the cvt and hit the gas u will activate the safety settings like ive done several times just cornering too hard. it will say its in drive but will really be in neutral. could just be my car though.
Really? How did you do that? Where you able to recreate the issue? I go to the gym at 345 in the morning, empty streets, and I take turns (90 degree) at greater than 45 mph under acceleration. Never had that happen.

Thats wierd. How did you know? Sometimes automatics with open diffs have a hard time keeping the power applied durring a turn. It feels likt the trans is doing nothing but really its just only able to deal with one wheel.

Not an expert, might could keep asking around.

Still wierd!

Scott
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by RC2099
Really? How did you do that? Where you able to recreate the issue? I go to the gym at 345 in the morning, empty streets, and I take turns (90 degree) at greater than 45 mph under acceleration. Never had that happen.

Thats wierd. How did you know? Sometimes automatics with open diffs have a hard time keeping the power applied durring a turn. It feels likt the trans is doing nothing but really its just only able to deal with one wheel.

Not an expert, might could keep asking around.

Still wierd!

Scott

i've taken turns at 65mph+ never had this happen to me
Old Mar 24, 2008, 06:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Interesting.

ROAD/RACE
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

I have a CVT and i drive my car VEEEERRRY hard... never had any "saftey setting" turn on... and i own a PZEV... so im thinking it may just be your car.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

ive

Last edited by dsrttigr; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsrttigr
ive posted this problem in another section. i have grip springs and lightweight wheels and hi-p summer tires. (only mods)

yea i was making a left u-turn when it happened last, maxed out the cars turning ability (tires squeeling) but not enough to loose control just enough to loose grip maybee skid a inch or 2.

when i was pulling out of the turn at the end when i hit the gas the rpm just jumped to max (lucky it stops at 6k lol) and would not go like i was in neutral.

i let the rpm drop looked at the dash display it said it was in drive hit the gas same thing it just reved to max rpm but didnt go.

i shifted to sport mode then back and it went back to normal drive mode and worked fine all the way home on the freeway.

this is about the 5th time this has happened in different places doing different turns at different speeds.

ill take a video on my mobile phone next time it happens if i keep the car that long.
sounds like a problem with just your car. Nothing in the manual about it and it would be very stupid of Mitsu to create a fail-safe mode that completely removes the ability for your engine to drive the wheels. Maybe you screwed up the CVT belt...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Ive had the same happen as dsrttigr. You drive really hard out of a turn (Its happened to me while trying to floor it from a stand still ) and the CVT will release drive from 1st and revs will float out to 6k. The display will show D but your not going anywhere. You have to shift to sport and then back into D to get going again.

I have read that the Turbo for a CVT will only be possible while in sport mode in order to handle the power. The CVT has a "safety" feature that keeps it from being over worked.

You dont hear anything that sounds bad, it doesnt jerk or "crunch" on any gears, your hear nothing like a CVT belt slipping, it just seem to release drive and let the revs free. Its happened twice to me at the same turn and a third time somewhere else. It only happens while in D and under flat out accel in some type of heavier than normal load bearing situation. Ive never had it happen in a straight line or during any switchback racing.

The answer to a CVT turbo will have some type of ECU / CVT programming solution.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
Account Disabled

I think it would be ok in D boosted durring "Normal Driving Conditions"! Prob not and WOT operation happening safely in that mode. But really, who in here is driving really hard on the car in straigt D mode? Its not as fun as Sport!
Old Mar 26, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=elp

Last edited by dsrttigr; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 08:06 PM
Account Disabled

The next time this happens, try and just hit the down shift paddle and see if it reacts! Just a little thing to try, but with so few of us having this happen, maybe should consult the dealership. sounds like isolated events!

Does suck though.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

[quote=rc

Last edited by dsrttigr; Mar 27, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 09:43 AM

after reading this post i purposely drove the living hell out of my car. in "D" and in sport mode. i have not encountered any of these problems. i dont know if mileage has anything to do with it (i highly doubt it) but my car only has 600 miles on it now. i will try again tonight on my way to work and see what happens
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weaponstroop
after reading this post i purposely drove the living hell out of my car. in "D" and in sport mode. i have not encountered any of these problems. i dont know if mileage has anything to do with it (i highly doubt it) but my car only has 600 miles on it now. i will try again tonight on my way to work and see what happens
only 600 and ur trying to hit the safety limits

i have rrm springs, lightweight wheels and hi-performance summer tires.

maybee the stock setup cant corner hard enough to reach the limit
Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

After reading the technical manual on the CVT it has many safety features. Im not sure what goes to what Im still reading. Ill let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: CVT "safety mode" issues + turbo kit???