Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

RRM turbo FAQ thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RRM turbo FAQ thread

Post 'em if you got 'em. I'll do my best, and Rob/Brian will no doubt have input. Then I'll collect the questions at the top for easy reading.

Q: Will this fit my 2008 Lancer?
Yeah, pretty much. MT Fed-spec and CVT Fed-spec kits are available for purchase. After that, the PZEV kits will begin production (they'll need to be different to pass emissions).

Q: How about my 2009?
Should fit ES and DE models (same 2.0L motor, use the same kit). GTS 2.4L kit will be coming as well.

Q: How much?
According to Rob, $4600-4800.

Q: What's install going to cost?
We don't know just yet. Depends on how long the install process is, and only RRM knows that.

Q: How does this affect the factory warranty?
Your warranty will be affected greatly. Pretty much anything that goes wrong with the engine or transmission will NOT be covered. Other issues (suspension, interior, etc) should be covered unless can show that the turbo kit caused the problem.

Q: How much boost does it run?
Looks like 7 or 8 lbs. (MT version) at the moment. CVT is still in R&D, so that answer is unclear.

Q: How much power can I expect to gain?
RRM MT dyno results:

Before HP - 141; After HP - 205
Before TQ - 137; After TQ - 207
Click here to see the dyno sheet.

CVT gains are RRM-claimed 83whp.

Q: What comes with the kit?
Everything you need. The turbo, the piping, the intercooler, the electronics, the hoses. Nothing more, though. The kit will bolt up to your stock exhaust and such. If you'd like a performance exhaust, then you're buying that separately.

Q: What kind of BOV will it have?
VTA (vent to atmosphere). So you can have it loud and ricey if you want or quiet and normal if you want that.

Q: Will my N/A bolt-ons work with it?
Some of them, yes. Your intake won't because the turbo kit has it's own intake. Your axleback exhaust will be fine, however. Your pulley will work fine. Piggyback will be changed out for a turbo version. Etc.

Q: What kind of oil do I need?
Dino oil is fine. Synthetic oil is fine too.

Q: What gasoline octane will I need?
The kit is tuned for 91. Anything above that is fine too (for the states that have 93 instead of 91).

Q: What about gas mileage?
That depends on you, leadfoot. Your car will get normal gas mileage (possibily better) if you drive normally. But if you're constantly boosting, expect MPG to go down. Just don't blame RRM for it.

Q: Do I need a new clutch?
No, stock clutch will work fine.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Jun 5, 2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all i want to know is how mush boost for the 08 kit and how much hp and tq gain you will get,i understand that it will be the first kit and maybe certain info cant be openly displayed yet,so maybe when numbers are released someone can pm me or something,im a very interested customer for the rrm turbo kit for the 08 lancer
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

numbers were released.... dyno sheets on these forums shows ~205HP (I can't remember the torque right now) to the wheels, and they're running around 7 - 7.5 PSI for the boost.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
numbers were released.... dyno sheets on these forums shows ~205HP (I can't remember the torque right now) to the wheels, and they're running around 7 - 7.5 PSI for the boost.
well i guess that answers my question,thanks man,i seen the dyno sheet but i had no clue it was for the kit,i thought it might be but wasnt sure thats why i was asking here
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

A question about the clutch. I thought RRM had to change theirs and now we dont need to change ours... why?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by the_cosworth
A question about the clutch. I thought RRM had to change theirs and now we dont need to change ours... why?
RRM's car was a test car with 6k on the (clearly abused) clutch. It was already slipping when they got it.

Chances are good that YOUR car is in better condition.

Originally Posted by Infamous_pt4
well i guess that answers my question,thanks man,i seen the dyno sheet but i had no clue it was for the kit,i thought it might be but wasnt sure thats why i was asking here
Got those answers up. Sorry, I posted this first and then started going back through the last couple pages of the RRM thread looking for details.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Apr 7, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

you say it bolts up to the stock exhaust,i want the rrm headers aswell,is it pointless for me to get them or no?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

^^ yes, a turbo is driven off the exhaust gases so it needs to relocate the exhaust gases coming out of the engine towards the turbo.

The kit will come with turbo specific headers.

when he says stock exhaust, I think pretty much from halfway down the car BACK will be ok.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by the_cosworth
^^ yes, a turbo is driven off the exhaust gases so it needs to relocate the exhaust gases coming out of the engine towards the turbo.

The kit will come with turbo specific headers.

when he says stock exhaust, I think pretty much from halfway down the car BACK will be ok.
glad i found that out,thanks man
Old Apr 7, 2008, 07:27 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'm fairly sure the RRM kit comes with a turbo-specific "header", but I don't want to post that until I know for sure (since this whole thread is about stopping the bad info). I sent a PM to Rob to try and get specific info. Hopefully I hear back soon.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:50 AM

i have a few questions about the turbo kit;
1 how much is it
2 how much boost does it run
3 how much power will i gain
4 i am just kidding. thanks for the info on the turbo kit
Old Apr 8, 2008, 05:51 PM

blacksheep u should add these questions once they are officially answered to the list and delete the original posts as to keep this thread clean
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by pimpinfern
blacksheep u should add these questions once they are officially answered to the list and delete the original posts as to keep this thread clean
Will do.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Hummm just to be sure, you're telling here that the stock power was 141whp, and with the turbo it's 205 ?
Just that.. 152hp to 141whp .. is it me or it's really high ?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

that's about normal

Quick Reply: RRM turbo FAQ thread